Can I DIY my bike into an ebike if I have never DIY'd anything before?

ebikebob

Hi, basically how skilled do you have to be.
I can read directions and that's about it. I know solder means to melt two wires together?
That's what we're dealing with here.

I wouldn't recommend it. What happens if when you think you are done, nothing turns on? I wouldn't imagine you have electrical troubleshooting skills either. What kind of tool collection do you have? Curious why you think you should attempt it? If it's purely a financial decision, having a nonworking bike in the corner of the garage is not a bargain. Also soldering is not melting wire together, so there you are.

Thank you, I was under the impression that there are conversion kits you can buy that provide everything you need, and there is no soldering involved. I figured if I bought the right conversion kit and followed directions, it should work. I don't know which conversion kits are trustworthy, but I was looking to make a bike that took a 48V 20A battery and could go 45 kmh max, which is the tops of the legal limit.

The answer to your question really depends on the bike you're trying to convert and the kit you want to use. Some bikes are easier to convert than others and likewise the conversion kits. I'm with rich c here though. Without basic tool skills, you're going to have a tough time.

What you could do however is check out the installation videos that are available for some conversion kits. This will give you an idea of what you're up against. If you do decide to try it, make sure the kit you choose is recommended for your bike.

I have a thread on this here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/specialized-roll-hub-conversion-q-a.31055/

I have considerable DIY skills - have built two boats, a couple of houses, restored numerous cars and motorcycles, build computers from scratch, and a bazillion RC models that both fly and roll. I didn't have too much trouble with the install, but the motor quit shortly after putting it into service, and it took months to get it resolved. The kits come from China, so getting a timely response is like pissing in the wind for distance. Sourcing from a domestic supplier that provides support may well be a better option. The vast majority of bike shops won't even LOOK at a DIY ebike for troubleshooting or service.

Just know that there is no savings in going this route. You can buy a fully built, ready to go ebike, for what you'll spend converting an older pedal-only bike.

Thank you guys, I think that any learning value that I get from this project will be negated by the frustration of constant troubleshooting. I think that I have other endeavors that I would rather invest my time in at this point. I'll focus on asking for advice on buying a pre-built ebike then.

Similar experience/background to Browneye (avid and very accomplished DIY'er), but I had much better luck with my conversion. So much so I've done 2 since.

You do need to balance quality with price. Quality being the key word here. You may need support, and in my experience, you're far more likely to get quality support if the kit or motor you are considering is popular/has a lot of users. This allows you to draw on REAL WORLD experience, quickly, without depending on assistance that may or may not be available from slow responding, one question at a time, sellers/dealers.

A complete kit will generally be plug and play. No soldering, and a minimum of electrical/electronic experience required. The hard stuff should already be done for you. Bolt it on and plug it in.

That said, the convenience of buying an e-bike that's ready to go, with good warranty and support available, at a price point that's not a lot more than what a decent "kit" and a descent donor bike might cost you (I used brand new Schwinn's from Walmart), is undeniable.

I now buy RAD bikes, and modify them to suit as required after riding them for a while. I have a RAD City and the only original parts still on it are the frame, battery, and front rim. What I have invested in it would still not make it classified as an expensive bike, but it's EXACTLY what I want, and has a performance level that would be difficult to beat with bikes costing twice as much.

I'm not endorsing just RAD, only suggesting an inexpensive e-bike can be modified easily to take it in any direction you'd like to go - AFTER it teaches you enough to recognize what you don't like.

My experience has taught me to watch the motor drive type you're getting, and the battery capacity. Anything else can be changed inexpensively. -Al

I can read directions and that's about it. I know solder means to melt two wires together?

I've converted three bikes with this Bafang kit and between them have more than 5000 miles ridden.

@Browneye 's experience with the bum motor seems to be an outlier. His Specialized conversion was done with the same kits as I have. Also, if kit problems were common you would see it reflected in the reviews at Amazon.

These Bafang kits require no soldering and are connected with water tight Higo connectors. They are color coded and have arrows to help you line up the pins.

More important is that you feel comfortable as a bike mechanic. Regardless of the kit you choose, it means removing and reinstalling bike parts (crank, pedals, wheels, grips, brake handles, gearshifter, etc.) After installing, you will likely need to readjust the brakes, derailleur, etc.

Also, there will be more wear-and-tear as the bike will be heavier and you'll find yourself constantly riding it about.

But as your own bike mechanic there is no messing around with the LBS. Getting on their schedule. Delays ordering this or that. I've never had to troubleshoot an electrical problem beyond forgetting to reconnect the motor after changing a flat. All my support has been adjusting brakes, replacing chains, tensioning spokes, replacing tubes and tires.

After 2000 miles I did retire the original Bluenergy rim from the kit as the spokes were breaking. I simply removed the motor and relaced it into another wheel.

@AHicks has also had a very good experience with a Mac conversion from Grin.

You'll find negative experiences across the board reported in these forums from kits, to batteries, to name brand and no-name bikes. But that doesn't reflect most user outcomes.

Last edited:
Just my luck, eh??? 😇

The motor failure on ours was likely user abuse. Wife's bike, we were out on a trek, climbing hills. On the last big hill I heard the "Uh oh" from behind, her bike quit. I stopped, walked back, she was in top gear with pas 5 enabled, doing about 5mph, climbing a steep grade. I got the "I didn't know I had to shift down" comment. LOL.

The worst of it was being unable to determine which component failed. @stanmiller was kind enough to send me a known good controller to at least test that out, which did not fix it. It was determined that at least one hall sensor in the brushless drive motor had failed, and I paid a local ebike technician good money to replace them. No joy. There were no other indications of what failed or why, no burnt windings or wires or insulation, no other signs.

In the meantime, I had been emailing and calling the support line for Greenergie, the china importer, without response. After weeks I finally got a response and instructions to send the components to their 'support center' in Nevada, which I later found out was an independent contractor that provides warranty and repair support for the distributor company in China. They took another three or four weeks to replace the motor core, which I could have done instantly had I had access to one, or even been offered one to purchase, or instructed to send just that part for testing.

I even went to a local ebike shop that specializes in electric bikes, where they had even done youtube vids on their stellar ebike technical skills. Not only did they not know what was wrong with it, they had zero interest in even looking at it. "Did you buy this bike here?"

Over the duration of the failure, we grew impatient and I decided to buy her a factory built ebike - a Giant Amiti. It has been above and beyond anything with the Bafang hub conversion bike. And while it did finally get fixed and it works like it did before, the confidence and trust for the entire process has been ruined for me. In the end the company did replace the drive motor under warranty, but it took at least two months. I don't have the time or inclination to futz around like that. It's over and done with. 😋

If you look at enthusiast support forums like redit and endless-sphere there are literally tons of people with all kinds of problems and questions like I had. There's some comfort in knowing I wasn't alone, but that didn't fix our bike. LOL

Just my luck, eh??? 😇

The motor failure on ours was likely user abuse. Wife's bike, we were out on a trek, climbing hills. On the last big hill I heard the "Uh oh" from behind, her bike quit. I stopped, walked back, she was in top gear with pas 5 enabled, doing about 5mph, climbing a steep grade. I got the "I didn't know I had to shift down" comment. LOL.

Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but that comment literally made me LOL

The good news is it got fixed, AND she got a new bike, which she absolutely loves. If you don't shift down with the mid-drive, it simply grinds to a halt.
It is interesting to hear her un-technical review of the two. She likes the yamaha mid-drive better cuz she gets a little more excercise with it, and it's much smoother to ride. How the drive makes the bike go is simply not in her realm of consciousness. 🤣

Here are a few articles on simple DIY kits to help you assess what's involved.

Last edited:
None of these kits require any soldering. This bike tool kit has everything you need to put together any kit out there. I have one just like it and, its help me but together hub kits and mid-drive kits.

None of these kits require any soldering.
This bike tool kit has everything you need to put together any kit out there. I have one just like it and, its help me but together hub kits and mid-drive kits.

Good advice.

Anyone who owns an EBike should get a base toolkit and take a DIY class at their LBS for basic bike maintenance.

When the spoke bores on my CCS wore out I bought a kit from Calibike for $250. All i really needed was the wheel/motor
which plugged right into the CCS, no muss, no fuss. The kit was pretty straight forward, plug & play, every connection
color coded. Now the CCS is dead (RIP), but the wheel/motor is still fine (1000w), & I still have the rest of the kit I didn't use.
It didn't come with shut-off brake levers or battery. Already have both. Calibike's battery packs are pretty reasonable.
I'm considering putting it on a very light race built Univega mixte, with a leftover 8Ah, 48v battery. Cali specializes in
souped-up road bikes with up to 6000w motors that can do 40+ mph. The Tange pro tubing on the 'Vega fameset weights just
3 1/2 pds. Not bad for a steel bike. I think it would be around 40 pds finished, That would be a wicked 1000w roadie.

Last edited:
Good advice.

Anyone who owns an EBike should get a base toolkit and take a DIY class at their LBS for basic bike maintenance.
Anyone with any bike needs to know how to work on it or have more cash than they need. There are oodles
of instructional videos online.

OP is looking for a 28mph Speed Pedelec.

Not really... he is now looking for a complete OEM EBike. ;)

Thank you guys, I think that any learning value that I get from this project will be negated by the frustration of constant troubleshooting.
I think that I have other endeavors that I would rather invest my time in at this point. I'll focus on asking for advice on buying a pre-built ebike then.

Re: the Eunarau MAC kit, seems like a great price, but the web site seems incredibly light on the specifications (like the included controller/display specific spec) and a maybe a little misleading as it indicates there's a battery included, which doesn't seem very likely....

I found this thread and hope the OP does not mind if I ask a few questions. I have an ebike and am considering converting one of our traditional bikes for my wife who will only ride occasionally so I can't justify a new bike for her.

I am considering a front wheel conversion to make life easier with a flat tire and for other reasons. Do I need a steel fork? Will non-disc brakes be OK? I don't see her climbing a lot of hills, mostly flats.

I found this thread and hope the OP does not mind if I ask a few questions. I have an ebike and am considering converting one of our traditional bikes for my wife who will only ride occasionally so I can't justify a new bike for her.

I am considering a front wheel conversion to make life easier with a flat tire and for other reasons. Do I need a steel fork? Will non-disc brakes be OK? I don't see her climbing a lot of hills, mostly flats.

IMO, a DIY conversion is not much cheaper than simply buying a ready-built bike. Most think that going this route to save money is a folly. In the beginning that was my goal, and then I found out what they were telling me was reality. YMMV

The extra speed and weight of the added components make disc brakes a necessity. Again, more or less a consensus.
If the bike has a carbon fork I would not put a hub-drive on it - they are simply not designed for the added stresses of a hub drive, even a disc brake conversion. A snapped fork leg is a recipe for disaster.

The kits are all fine and dandy as long as everything works. If it fails you'll need to be able to troubleshoot, or have a tech that can support you. Some domestic suppliers have pretty good phone tech support, how-to, and warranty coverage, imported items generally do not. In the end it tends to fall on the end user to figure it out.

Ours was working great for the first 3-400 miles, then the motor quit. I spent a couple of months troubleshooting and waiting for warranty parts, and that was a china supplier with a US contracted tech support arm. We got tired of waiting and just bought a really nice ready-built ebike for her. Will make ya a helluva deal on a conversion - 500w hubdrive, disc brakes, steel fork. LOL Currently it's a spare bike, but with so much demand for bikes right now I may opt to sell it.

The most expensive component on any conversion is the battery pack. Ya gots ta pay ta play. 😁

Back