Can an E-bike go on a plane/train?

Catherine G

I want to buy a bike while I am in the Northwest but I'll be eventually living in DC. I may need to ship it overseas.

Can I check the e-bike in as luggage on a plane? What do I do with the battery?

Can I put the bike on Amtrack? I guess I'll keep the battery back with me in the cabin. If you took it on Amtrak, how did you lock it up?

Last edited:
@Catherine G electric bikes with lithium batteries cannot be checked in as checked baggage on commercial aircraft. Lithium batteries are classified as Dangerous Goods and must be shipped as such.

In order to ship DG (Dangerous Goods), the shipper must be trained accordingly (IATA trained and certified for Air) and the battery must be packed in accordance with regulations (special box, packaging, connector protected etc...). You can contact your local UPS, FedEx, DHL branch (not the general 1-800 #) and see if they have a local certified packer to assist you if you want to proceed. Packing and preparation should cost between $100-$200 + shipping costs.

Wish we were closer as we are DG certified for air, ground, and sea freight.

regards,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

Reactions: Voz
I'm suspecting that you might have good luck contacting a mover.

You can take your bike with you on a plane, but would need to ship the battery separately....via UPS or DHL as examaples

Back