California bill AB 117 to incentivize ebikes

This update from the CalBike coalition suggests they are working with CARB to get the money distributed next summer, it’s coming https://www.calbike.org/2021-california-legislative-wrap-up/

Thanks @Ravi Kempaiah. I am in that Bay Area of the other CA and will spread the word here. I imagine that lot of college kids will be getting their parents cars when their parents trade in the kids' older cars to take advantage of this program. I am still doing my Thoreau to see if I can use electric bikes instead of even owning a car. I sold my car in January of 2018. The weather here is good enough that I can ride daily. It is working so far.
Check out this build. It is all through frame. You can see the display on the HB. Mid-drive.
I like the reference to Thoreau. I sold my car in 2013 and said I would never own another. I am retired (76) making that perhaps easier. I progressed from walking/bus/trolley to push scooter, bike and now ebike/trolley. Living near San Diego means weather is virtually never a concern. With the ebike even my trolley usage is way down. I would rather ride the 14 miles to the museum where I am a docent.

I like the reference to Thoreau. I sold my car in 2013 and said I would never own another. I am retired (76) making that perhaps easier. I progressed from walking/bus/trolley to push scooter, bike and now ebike/trolley. Living near San Diego means weather is virtually never a concern. With the ebike even my trolley usage is way down. I would rather ride the 14 miles to the museum where I am a docent.
Yesterday car traffic was so bad here that it took cars 30 minutes to go three miles across town. On an eBike it takes seven minutes to cross town. Once the cars get there they then need to search for parking, adding another five minutes. Then the owners need to hoof 500m it to their destination. I can just go directly to a place like a restaurant. I was fortunate to be able to chop off the ugly connectors and wires from this green bike to clean up the build. It came to me with a rats nest of housings. I love the color of the wheels. I sawed off the top of a water bottle and used automotive gasket sealant to adhere it to the top of the battery.

Attachments

• R181.JPG
    R181.JPG
    720.8 KB · Views: 241
  • R183.JPG
    R183.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 222
  • R184.jpg
    R184.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 220
  • R185.jpg
    R185.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 230
  • MeatballSoup.JPG
    MeatballSoup.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 206
  • colorclock.JPG
    colorclock.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
So what's the incentive here? Is there a rebate or tax deduction available for ebikes purchased in California?
It seems to be a work in progress but income eligibility limits will apply and be the same as for the CA Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, and the funding and target # of 10,000 grantees suggests a $1,000 grant towards an eligible ebike, with the program start July 2022

It seems to be a work in progress but income eligibility limits will apply and be the same as for the CA Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, and the funding and target # of 10,000 grantees suggests a $1,000 grant towards an eligible ebike, with the program start July 2022
Is there a link to an official state website or is it just the CalBike site?

January 2023 update, the California program has lowered the income eligibility again to 300% of the federal poverty limit, see table here for that income limit by household size. Manufacturers will need to register their Class 3 models in order to be eligible for the rebate, and it will only be available for bikes that have at least a two-year warranty.

Last edited:
Back