BULLS ICONIC EVO SPEED REVIEW

That's a sweet bike Law - it really seems to pack a punch, hitting most of the key qualities in an ebike that I'm after. I agree that the rack issue is perplexing, and I've no real ideal why they would not have addressed it. For my self, it also comes down to heavy and powerful, being able to handle the pot holes and the rocks when they come, or light and more nimble, with the resulting vibration and uncomfortableness and pain that may come with it.

Give us some additional feedback after a long ride or five. Do you feel the need to pedal or use it as an electric bike. Do you find you get as much exercise.

I'm in the market, and have my short list down to about 20 bikes, though I'll be pairing it down to between 3 - 5 and then taking some for a test ride.

It feels more about what factors or components or aspects lead to me eliminate bikes from this list at the moment. It feels ridiculous to eliminate this bike as an option because of a lack of a rack extension and yet a helpful and sturdy rack - that you can fill up on all occasions is ultimately important. Have you contacted them to ask them what their intention is. I could swear I watched a review that indicated there was such a rack extension. You've asked the company have you?

Stuart
Getting exercise from an ebike depends on how much exercise your willing to do ! I've lost 20 lbs since I started riding ebikes and I could have lost 40 if I wanted to. The point is : you get as much exercise out of an ebike as you put into it. In my opinion, an ebike is a much more practical and enjoyable way to get in shape than riding a non ebike.

Law, do you mind sharing what exact Ortleib pannier setup you went with? Must be on the small side? Sounds like you are happy with how it fits? Thanks.

I am considering this bike (Bulls Iconic Speed TR1) and the Cannondale Tesoro Neo X1. It has the same Bosch motor (Class 3 - Performance Speed). It is a bit lighter as it is a hardtail.

I think it comes in at about 50 lbs. This is on one of Cannondales web sites but I am not sure about the specs as I have seen two versions of this bike: one with the purion and a 500 w battery and this one: https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/electric/e-touring/tesoro-neo-x/tesoro-neo-x-1-smu

It looks like a really interesting alternative to the Bulls Iconic Speed as it also has a Mountain Bike inspired frame - albeit without a rear suspension. I also think it is a nice looking cycle.

The one thing that is giving me pause is the 29 inch tires. I dont think it will be as nimble as a bike with smaller wheels. Any input on this compared to the Bulls would be welcomed. Unfortunately this 2021 model is not yet available so I have not been able to ride one. I plan to most ride it on gravel and trails - nothing too technical. Also will be doing a fair amount of road riding.

I own the T1 Speed. Got it in August. I ride crushed gravel trails and some pavement. Neither this bike or the hard tail with 29” wheels are going to be nimble. How about “fun?” I can’t endorse the TR1 Speed enough. I’m about to swap 2.4” Schwalbe Hurricanes for 2.6” Schwalbe Smart Sams. Just wanna see how they feel. Heavy, for me (60 pounds) is a non-issue. I’m not getting airborne and I’m not riding a course or even taking fast, sharp turns. I feel very secure on the bike even at fast speeds. The bike is a beast, up front and in person, but doesn’t feel that way when you are riding it.

I was at REI and saw this bike. Skinny 2.2 tires on 29s, only 100mm travel on front fork, and only 500watt Battery. Very basic specs for a lot of $$.

I had test rode a cannondale neo earlier, and impression was very analog assisted by an electric motor. Iconic feels more enduro/trail. So ride both back to back And it doesn’t necessarily mean you need to ride the 21, just ride a hard tail cannondale.

As I was looking in store, a sales rep came up and asked questions about Iconic and took pictures.

Last edited:
My wife and I each got a TR1 Speed the week before Christmas, with Minnesota winters we didn't ride very much in Jan thru March. Not so much the cold, but all the chemcals they use around here on the roads. I now have 750 miles on mine and am loving it. I wanted a bike I could ride on pavement, gravel or ATV trails and this has been working out well for all. This is my 1st e-bike so I don't have many others to compare to except the few a test rode and a Orbea EMTB a rented at the Cayuna Lakes MTB park in Minnesota.

I wanted a bike with a more upright riding position, racks, and I am liking the fenders. The bike is heavy but I don't really notice that when I ride it. I think for me it is the most comfortable bike I have owned.

This morning I went for a 25mile ride on the paved county roads around my house and it was a great ride. Last Saturday I went on a 43 mile loop in Northern Minnesota, 7 miles asphalt, 21 gravel county roads and 15 miles of ATV trail/logging road. The bike handles it all fairly well. Tires get squirrley in the looser sand. I have only risen a short stretch on single track but I don't think that will be an issue with my riding style, I don't plan on sending it over any jumps.

Only issues is the kick stand coming loose every ride. (I did try some blue loctite, didn't help. Maybe that's why most mountain bikes don't come with kick stands) My battery charger quit working, my LBS got me a new one right away, even though he said there was a process in getting the warranty approved that could take some time, he made it his problem not mine. Also my battery was getting very hard to remove, it wouldn't release when you turned the key. LBS fixed that for me.

I took note of Law's comment regarding the pedals and got the LBS to include upgrades to flat studded MTB pedal when we bought the bikes

I did upgrade the display from the Purion to the Nyon a couple weeks ago.

I think I am getting a lot more exercise riding this bike than my old regular bike, the main reason this is more fun and I rider more often and a lot farther.

IMG_1892B.JPEG

IMG_1209A.JPEG
IMG_1919A.JPEG

I own the T1 Speed. Got it in August. I ride crushed gravel trails and some pavement. Neither this bike or the hard tail with 29” wheels are going to be nimble. How about “fun?” I can’t endorse the TR1 Speed enough. I’m about to swap 2.4” Schwalbe Hurricanes for 2.6” Schwalbe Smart Sams. Just wanna see how they feel. Heavy, for me (60 pounds) is a non-issue. I’m not getting airborne and I’m not riding a course or even taking fast, sharp turns. I feel very secure on the bike even at fast speeds. The bike is a beast, up front and in person, but doesn’t feel that way when you are riding it.
How comfortable is your TR1? Would you describe the stance as rider-forward or more upright?

I have a T1 Speed presently with the frame cracked - Has anyone had this problem with their T1 Speed? When I
purchased it, it was one of very few alternatives in the full suspension speed commuter space. i've been waiting
2 months for a frame replacement and no end in site and very poor communication from Bulls.

Back