Brake Pads?

98 SNAKE EATER

I've got 600+ miles on my X3 Pro and absolutely love it :)

Was out riding yesterday and it started making an annoying rubbing squealing sound from the rear tire :oops:

Thought it might be a bearing, but after getting home, I gave it a quick look and it appears my rear pads are toast :(

1) What are the best replacement pads that will not make noise? (the front brakes are more like a car horn when I grab them, which is why I tend to use the rear more)

2) Are the front pads the same as the rear? (If they are, I'll most likely do a swap just to get by until the new ones arrive)

Just checked and actually have 755 miles on the OD

Ordered a set of Corki pads (first thing that popped up on Google) and they should arrive later today

I hope they fit cause just eyeballed them

Swapped them around for now and the rubbing noise is gone, but squeals like crazy under hard braking
20210906_181923.jpg
20210906_181937.jpg

Ordered a set of Corki pads (first thing that popped up on Google) and they should arrive later today

Swapped them around for now and the rubbing noise is gone, but squeals like crazy under hard brakingView attachment 99245View attachment 99246
They look like the same style some Shimano and Tektro use.

Organic pads stop better in most circumstances and are quieter than semi metallic pads, but don't last as long. There's always a tradeoff.

Swapped them around for now and the rubbing noise is gone, but squeals like crazy under hard brakingView attachment 99245View attachment 99246
This thread is my experience with new pads at ~500 miles;

Cleaning the rotors and 'bedding in' the new pads is always a good idea to help eliminate squeals.

BTW - From your pics it appears that the pads have a ridge worn into them. Seems that the calipers might need a bit of adjustment, just sayin' 😎

Threw in the pads this morning and just adjusted them for clearance, but didn't bother adjust the caliper for contact patch (wanted to get my morning ride in before work)

Took about 10 minutes to bed them in, then went on my usual 1.5 hour ride around town

Silent right up until the last few feet of coming to a complete stop, then they let out a mild rubbing squeal, which is far better than how it used to be with the original pads

Still getting used to having dead even handle pull on both sides lol (the rear had so much play before)

20210908_075519.jpg
20210908_075903.jpg

Try running a file flat on the discs then cleaning the rotors with acetone or nail polish remover. The varnish on the rotors acts like rosin on a violin bow. It can sound like a kid learning to play violin too.
When I told a younger guy about the file he didn't get how. For him a file is something in the cloud where he stores photos.

Try running a file flat on the discs then cleaning the rotors with acetone or nail polish remover. The varnish on the rotors acts like rosin on a violin bow. It can sound like a kid learning to play violin too.
When I told a younger guy about the file he didn't get how. For him a file is something in the cloud where he stores photos.
I also use acetone to clean my rotors, and then wipe them with alcohol; a tip I picked up from my MTBing sons. The acetone removes hydrocarbons; the alcohol removes organics.

On worn pads I have used a fine sandpaper to remove the glaze they can get. @PedalUma is this where you'd use a file?

I also use acetone to clean my rotors, and then wipe them with alcohol; a tip I picked up from my MTBing sons. The acetone removes hydrocarbons; the alcohol removes organics.

On worn pads I have used a fine sandpaper to remove the glaze they can get. @PedalUma is this where you'd use a file?
I will sometimes use a little wet/dry fine sand paper after I wash a bike. This takes a few seconds. I have found that on many lower priced bikes but also on some newer high-end bikes that there are burs where the disc was stamped. Spinning the wheel while holding a file against the rotor will remove these. The finish on rotors is done lineally and not rotationally. I suspect that is the cause of the bur problem.

Back