Brake Pads - were these installed incorrectly?

1100 miles on X3Pro and when removed pads, looks like they were not properly aligned at the factory or is this normal? See pad where top 1/4 was not used at all which is illustrated in the Rotor. You can see where the dirt is untouched on part of the rotor.
How do I adjust the caliper so that the replacements utilize the whole rotor?

Attachments

• Rotor.jpg
    Rotor.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 326
  • X3Pro Pads.jpg
    X3Pro Pads.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 312
yes you cant really adjust the height the adapter is what sets the height. so it may be the wheel not in properly. but my first mid drive had one wrong bracket so I had the same issue with the front pads. it was fixed on warranty. so if the wheel is seated right then it is the mounting bracket that's wrong. you will have to replace the pads and maybe the rotor

1100 miles on X3Pro and when removed pads, looks like they were not properly aligned at the factory or is this normal? See pad where top 1/4 was not used at all which is illustrated in the Rotor. You can see where the dirt is untouched on part of the rotor.
Something is wrong with the caliper mounting bracket, which also functions as a spacer. If the wheel is installed properly, the caliper mounting bracket is wrong. There are many different size brackets to space the caliper off the frame so it pads contact the disc properly. This is not an adjustment issue.

I am not sure about the wrong mounting positioning, I just recently did a brake change and my brakes, front and back, were looking very similar so I would say nothing is wrong.

I am not sure about the wrong mounting positioning, I just recently did a brake change and my brakes, front and back, were looking very similar so I would say nothing is wrong.
There's a mismatch of components then. The spacing is not optimally matched between rotor - caliper - mounting bracket.
I have a somewhat similar issue with my front brakes in that the rotor surface isn't fully utilized and look similar to the photo in the OP... but the pads do wear fully and evenly. The breaks work well and the pad wear is more important so I just live with it. I would address fixing it if the pads were grooved and not wearing correctly as in the OP photo.

i discarded the 160mm rotors and upgraded to 203 and 180, using RT-66 rotors and shimano mounts. Had to add a 2mm spacer for the front for some clearance with the caliper.

I’m using the whole brake pad surface based on the rotor wear

6D28895B-0779-455E-998B-F5F0EEC1F9D2.jpeg
327132B2-897A-4C4E-AC85-93D76B87AD9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Replaced my brake pads and you can see that the
brake pad wear is even on the 203 compared to the 160.

F0A36E90-8D07-4D23-A730-BAE9B40DEDD0.jpeg

Can I just say that this thing would be a rusting hulk in the corner if it weren't for learning all of this from you all. Thank you! This forum has helped me I think 10 times now.

Back