Brake pad wear

ritestuf

I've had my 2019 Radrover for a couple of months now and have close to 300 miles on it. Curious how long before brake pads need to be swapped out. My rides are mostly even pavement with not much downhill.

It sounds like you might go a couple thousand on level pavement.

Not sure if Rad updated the brake pads since my 2016 Radrover? I had to upgrade my brakes/Pads to Spykes TRP mechanical brakes after about 1000-1200 miles. I started work commuting with my Radrover at 55-75 miles per week with speeds up to 22-25 mph on some downhill runs with average speeds of 17-22 mph on level ground. The original Rad brakes took constant adjustments, noisy, longer emergency stops, and looked like they were glazed over a little bit from double-digit mph stops.

About +2 years with Spykes and +2500 miles and zero issues with noise, emergency stops, or glazed pads. I did Jagwire MTB brake cables at the same time when I upgraded the brakes. I feel way more comfortable with Spykes brakes when I need to do an emergency stop at +20 mph with a +75 lbs ebike and me in at +270 lbs.

Last edited:
Not sure if Rad updated the brake pads since my 2016 Radrover? I had to upgrade my brakes/Pads to Spykes TRP mechanical brakes after about 1000-1200 miles. I started work commuting with my Radrover at 55-75 miles per week with speeds up to 22-25 mph on some downhill runs with average speeds of 17-22 mph on level ground. The original Rad brakes took constant adjustments, noisy, longer emergency stops, and looked like they were glazed over a little bit from double-digit mph stops.

About +2 years with Spykes and +2500 miles and zero issues with noise, emergency stops, or glazed pads. I did Jagwire MTB brake cables at the same time when I upgraded the brakes. I feel way more comfortable with Spykes brakes when I need to do an emergency stop at +20 mph with a +75 lbs ebike and me in at +270 lbs.

Did you just upgrade the pads if so what was the part number or did you upgrade the brakes calipers and pads?
Thanks Johnny

The Spyke Brakes came with pads included. I don't know what types they are? I need to purchase a set since I'm +2500 miles with them. Probably purchase the same type.

Back