Bosch Smartphonehub phone mounting options

SQUIDwarrior

Region
USA
Hi, I just bought a Trek Allant 8s and I am looking for a different mounting options for my phone. I am using my wife’s old iPhone X because on my first ride, my phone (iPhone 11 Pro Max) flew out of the mount on the first bump and smashed the screen. Annoyed, but kinda my fault since the phone is clearly too big. Also Apple Care so, not the end of the world.

Anyway, I wiped and reset the old iPhone X, and then tried it out. Better, but it also flew out when I rode out my driveway and off the curb (not even the vertical kind, the curved kind). Charging cable caught it, so it didn’t get smashed up. But still, I have lost all confidence in the universal mount to hold an iPhone.

Since the mount doesn’t actually seem to work at all, I’m looking for other options either for the iPhone X or for the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I don’t want to replace the Smartphonehub with a Nyon or anything yet, so I’m open to suggestions.

One thought I had was to 3D-print something that perfectly locks into the universal mount (or mounts to the underlying hub itself) that I can then attach to an iPhone case or something.

Reactions: EdM
Did you read the manual for the SmartPhoneHub?
Because if you did then you would have found (under section "Inserting a smartphone into the universal holder") that you can purchase iphone cases separately.

Last edited:
I just use a silicone band holder around the SPH base and dont bother with the universal mount which broke in a couple weeks. More secure and user friendly than the holder.

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_152040.jpg
    IMG_20210516_152040.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 548
Did you read the manual for the SmartPhoneHub?
Because if you did then you would have found (under section "Inserting a smartphone into the universal holder") that you can purchase iphone cases separately.

Before I posted this, I was looking at the Bosch and Trek websites for additional accessories for the SmartphoneHub (like a case or some other mounting option) and I did not see anything listed, so I assumed there weren't any other options. The site does mention the case in the FAQ, but I thought it was just referring to the universal mount since there is nothing on the Bosch site that shows separate phone cases. I can't find this case for the iPhone 11 Pro Max anywhere, even though the FAQ says it is compatible so maybe its not out yet. I ordered the iPhone X version so we'll see if that works.

And I did read the manual, but I missed that rather innocuous sentence. You could have just pointed out there was an iPhone case option without the passive-aggressive insinuation that I just didn't read the manual.

I just use a silicone band holder around the SPH base and dont bother with the universal mount which broke in a couple weeks. More secure and user friendly than the holder.
What kind of silicon band holder is that? I tried using one that came with my wife's phone mount, but it won't fit properly since the phone has to be slightly off-center (so the universal mount clamp won't press the buttons on the side). Maybe if I just take the universal mount off altogether?

Yes it works better without the phone mount on the SPH. Mine has to be off center as well to avoid the power button. The cables feed through a opening in the band which keeps the band attached to the SPH and the band is not symmetrical so it stretches evenly over the phone. Mine is similar to this one on amazon

I've considered getting a TPU phone case and removing the case buttons so I dont have to be as careful with phone placement when I'm riding.

Yes it works better without the phone mount on the SPH. Mine has to be off center as well to avoid the power button. The cables feed through a opening in the band which keeps the band attached to the SPH and the band is not symmetrical so it stretches evenly over the phone. Mine is similar to this one on amazon

I've considered getting a TPU phone case and removing the case buttons so I dont have to be as careful with phone placement when I'm riding.
Thanks for the link! I actually started looking around for something like what you mentioned and I think I ended up ordering this (or something very close). Gonna try both the iPhone X case, and the silicone band with the 11 Pro Max and see which works better. I really want to use my regular phone since its paired with my watch and stuff.

I have decided to use the Cobi.bike case for the iPhone X. Works great, looks cleaner, easy to remove, and charges without the cable. Wish they made more sizes, but this seems like the best option.

Lol, better than having a $1k smartphone flying into the air.... Normally the hub holds my phone reasonably well, but since adopting the hair ties, phone is rock solid, doesn't go anywhere...

Reactions: EdM
Mine broke, too, I’m the very first week. My shop is going to try a warranty claim.

I have decided to use the Cobi.bike case for the iPhone X. Works great, looks cleaner, easy to remove, and charges without the cable. Wish they made more sizes, but this seems like the best option.
I hate to spend $50 on a phone case for a phone that’s 3.5 yrs old. I’m practical like that. 🤣

I hate to spend $50 on a phone case for a phone that’s 3.5 yrs old. I’m practical like that. 🤣
Well it works great and is the best way to secure your phone to the Smartphonehub, TBH but it is way overpriced considering they don’t make one for any newer phones.

But unfortunately for me, the cobi.bike was just not my cup of tea. So I just replaced the whole thing with a Nyon. I am much happier with that system. Trek should drop the SPH completely.

Well it works great and is the best way to secure your phone to the Smartphonehub, TBH but it is way overpriced considering they don’t make one for any newer phones.

But unfortunately for me, the cobi.bike was just not my cup of tea. So I just replaced the whole thing with a Nyon. I am much happier with that system. Trek should drop the SPH completely.
Seems like they have, at least from a development perspective! I'm fortunate that it works with an older Pixel 4 that I had lying around. That phone works with wifi which is enough to load rides and upload ride data when I get home. No use in risking a newer phone. But man is the app a piece of work. I've posted elsewhere how strange it can be, with navigation stopping when you use the fitness screen, for example.

Back