Bosch Performance CX Total Distance Travelled

Clintd

Greetings from Taupo New Zealand
I have a Trek MTB E Bike with a Bosch Performance CX motor and 500Wh battery
In 15 months I have ridden 3300Km (2050 miles) and have never tired of the buzz I get riding this e bike.
I have had no trouble with the bike at all.
I have had the bike serviced and replaced a chain.

I am very impressed with the power and distances I am getting out of the bike doing both off road trails at time trashing the bike and other times just cruising along on flat trails next to the lake or on other river trails in my region.

I would be interested in knowing what sort of distance you have traveled in total on your Bosch powered bike

Thanks

Last edited:
...I would be interested in knowing what sort of distances people are getting out of the Bosch gear...Thanks

I do a city commute on a Haibike with the CX motor and on a Riese and Muller with the speed motor (both bikes 500 wh battery). The commute averages around 35 miles total distance and is mostly flat terrain.

I'd guestimate with the CX I can get 40-60 miles of range based on the characteristics of my last two commutes. The lower end was a windier colder day at the start of last week. The higher end was a wind favorable, warmer day last Thursday where I also rode about 70/30 Eco to Tour mode. My speed motor ranges (perhaps also influenced by having the Nuvinci hub) would be a bit less as I find myself needing Tour + Sport more and I ride at a higher top speed.

As I'm getting in better shape now that winter is on the way out, I'm finding it easier to ride the CX in Eco for 70% of my commute and still be able to keep the bike around 18-19 mph for cruising as long as winds are favorable. The CX bike has the drawback of the lower top speed but the benefit of a faster acceleration from the stop. I'm finding that riding much of my commute in Eco and keeping the bike under 20 mph gives me great range and Eco still gives me robust response for the start/stop nature of my commute. But if I could have the best of both worlds, I'd opt for a CX motor that gives me the higher torque at lower assist levels relative to the speed motor but which gives me a higher top end capability (25 mph for me would be sufficient).

I have two bikes with Bosch CX drive and 500 watt batteries.

One is a Cube Touring Hybrid Exc500 with a Shimano Diore XT 11 speed, with Schwalbe Big Ben 28x2" tires, factory weight of 52 lbs
The other is a Riese & Muller Nevo Nuvinci GH ,with Schwalbe 27.5x2.5" tires, factory weight of 62 lbs.

I have ridden the Cube on a 37 mile ride, mostly flat with a few moderate hills ending the ride with 12% remaining.

I went on a ride with a friend this past Friday. He rode the Cube. I rode the Nevo. He weighs 20lbs. less than me. At the end of the ride he the Cube had 48% remaining, the Nevo had 38% remaining.

The difference is due to the 30 lbs additional weight on the Nevo (me at 20lbs and the bike at 10lbs) as well as the fact that the Nuvinci drive is less efficient (greater wattage loss between crank and tires). For more detailed info on this see this article http://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-difference-testing-gearbox-systems/

Here is a summary of the articles findings:
Singlespeed: 97% efficient (Drivetrain loss of 6w @ 200w).
Rohloff : 94.5% efficient on average across 14 gears (Drivetrain loss of 11w @ 200w)
Pinion: 90.5% efficient on average across 18 gears (Drivetrain loss of 19w @ 200w).
Shimano Alfine 11: 90.5% efficient on average across 11 gears (Drivetrain loss of 19w @ 200w).
Shimano Nexus 8: 90% efficient on average across 8 gears (Drivetrain loss of 20w @ 200w).
Nuvinci 360: 83.5% efficient on average across the gear range (Drivetrain loss of 33w @ 200w).
Conventional derailleur transmission is slightly less efficient than the Rohloff.
Chain and tensioner condition can make a big difference.
The biggest speed differences come from tire rolling resistance and aerodynamics.

Trek/Bosch CX E-MTB. A bit over 2,000 miles of singletrack. Battery replaced by Bosch, two chains and two cassettes.

I have two bikes with Bosch CX drive and 500 watt batteries.

One is a Cube Touring Hybrid Exc500 with a Shimano Diore XT 11 speed, with Schwalbe Big Ben 28x2" tires, factory weight of 52 lbs
The other is a Riese & Muller Nevo Nuvinci GH ,with Schwalbe 27.5x2.5" tires, factory weight of 62 lbs.

I have ridden the Cube on a 37 mile ride, mostly flat with a few moderate hills ending the ride with 12% remaining.

I went on a ride with a friend this past Friday. He rode the Cube. I rode the Nevo. He weighs 20lbs. less than me. At the end of the ride he the Cube had 48% remaining, the Nevo had 38% remaining.

The difference is due to the 30 lbs additional weight on the Nevo (me at 20lbs and the bike at 10lbs) as well as the fact that the Nuvinci drive is less efficient (greater wattage loss between crank and tires). For more detailed info on this see this article http://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-difference-testing-gearbox-systems/

Here is a summary of the articles findings:
Singlespeed: 97% efficient (Drivetrain loss of 6w @ 200w).
Rohloff : 94.5% efficient on average across 14 gears (Drivetrain loss of 11w @ 200w)
Pinion: 90.5% efficient on average across 18 gears (Drivetrain loss of 19w @ 200w).
Shimano Alfine 11: 90.5% efficient on average across 11 gears (Drivetrain loss of 19w @ 200w).
Shimano Nexus 8: 90% efficient on average across 8 gears (Drivetrain loss of 20w @ 200w).
Nuvinci 360: 83.5% efficient on average across the gear range (Drivetrain loss of 33w @ 200w).
Conventional derailleur transmission is slightly less efficient than the Rohloff.
Chain and tensioner condition can make a big difference.
The biggest speed differences come from tire rolling resistance and aerodynamics.
Thanks for your reply,I didn't word my post well but have edited it. I was interested in total distance traveled on your bike.
Thanks

I do a city commute on a Haibike with the CX motor and on a Riese and Muller with the speed motor (both bikes 500 wh battery). The commute averages around 35 miles total distance and is mostly flat terrain.

I'd guestimate with the CX I can get 40-60 miles of range based on the characteristics of my last two commutes. The lower end was a windier colder day at the start of last week. The higher end was a wind favorable, warmer day last Thursday where I also rode about 70/30 Eco to Tour mode. My speed motor ranges (perhaps also influenced by having the Nuvinci hub) would be a bit less as I find myself needing Tour + Sport more and I ride at a higher top speed.

As I'm getting in better shape now that winter is on the way out, I'm finding it easier to ride the CX in Eco for 70% of my commute and still be able to keep the bike around 18-19 mph for cruising as long as winds are favorable. The CX bike has the drawback of the lower top speed but the benefit of a faster acceleration from the stop. I'm finding that riding much of my commute in Eco and keeping the bike under 20 mph gives me great range and Eco still gives me robust response for the start/stop nature of my commute. But if I could have the best of both worlds, I'd opt for a CX motor that gives me the higher torque at lower assist levels relative to the speed motor but which gives me a higher top end capability (25 mph for me would be sufficient).
Thanks for your reply,I didn't word my post well but have edited it. I was interested in total distance traveled on your bike.
Thanks

Thanks
Sorry, I thought battery distance was the question. I just got the Nevo a week ago, well ten days now. I have put 182 miles on it since April 20. The Cube has 600 since late February. I am new to the game but really gung ho.

Trek/Bosch CX E-MTB. A bit over 2,000 miles of singletrack. Battery replaced by Bosch, two chains and two cassettes.
Wow when you say single track is that off road?,sounds like you ride your bike hard to go through 2 cassettes.

Wow when you say single track is that off road?,sounds like you ride your bike hard to go through 2 cassettes.

That is off-road yes. I think I will start to rotate my chains to make the cassettes last but really chain/cassette is about $85.00 so maintenance isn't that bad.

I have a Felt Niner e with a Bosch drive. I've had it almost 3 years now and have 7000 miles on it with no problem at all with the edrive and only regular maintenance on the bike. Probably 2500 of that is single track / pulling a trailer and a lot of the rest is commuting and errors in town. Love it. Keeps my Jeep sitting in the garage unless I go backpacking for the weekend.

2100 miles, mostly surfaced roads and bike lanes, in a year on my Haibike Full Seven, no issues at all.
About to need a new set of tires, replaced the chain about 400 miles ago, otherwise all excellent!

Back