Bosch Nyon system abandoned?

I was very disappointed with Bosch customer service. My Nyon which I have enjoyed since 2018 requested a software update in July this year. After the update the Nyon would not work, it just indicated that that there was no battery on the ebike and would not provide power.
Bosch customer service said if the Nyon had been less than 5 years old they might replace it but in their words "after 5 years there is no good will".

First I thought it might be an internal battery failure in the Nyon. I found it is really easy to replace the internal battery, it is not soldered in as the Intuvia battery is. It is the same Lithium battery as used in many compact digital cameras.

However this did not solve my problem. Then I found that by plugging a powerbank into the USB socket I could make it work!
Finally I found it doesn't need a permanent external battery.
When I start up I just have to plug a device into the USB socket for two seconds and it will work until I remove the Nyon from the bike or stop for more than about 5 minutes. So it is not too bad.

I hope this helps others.

Colin
You can also turn the bike on with the power button on the battery.
Works best with the frame battery or rack battery as it is hard to get to the button on the power tube.

And it is 10 minutes. It dimms the display after 5 minutes and turns off after another 5 minutes if no button is pressed.
You can park the bike with the pedal on a curb or rock to keep a minimum torque on the cranks. Then it does not turn off.

You can also turn the bike on with the power button on the battery.
Works best with the frame battery or rack battery as it is hard to get to the button on the power tube.

And it is 10 minutes. It dimms the display after 5 minutes and turns off after another 5 minutes if no button is pressed.
You can park the bike with the pedal on a curb or rock to keep a minimum torque on the cranks. Then it does not turn off.
I had to look up where the button was on my battery on my trek. its under the cover they have a little hole that does not line up straight with the button. its a pain in the butt to push it. I only need it when the dogs knock the cord off the battery while charging.

Back