Bosch motor average life span.

8100 miles with my second bosch powered bike... And I encountered the first problems already.
Just have to wait for the answer from Bosch if it's the hardware or software.

(with 930 miles a month this is silly, not a decent replacement of a car of motorcycle this way)

I recently bought a new ebike with the Bosch Active Line Plus motor. I’m a relatively high mileage rider doing about 125 miles a week, all year round. About how many miles could I expect to go before I need to replace the motor? Ed
I had 9500 on my motor before it acted up and was replaced.

The symptoms:
- no response when I use the buttons on the handlebar.
- The Kiox switches off in 1 minute. (=No power for the Kiox device)

...but strangely enough there IS a speed signal coming from the engine.

Multiple error codes from the Bosch system. Currently it's at an official R&M importer repair shop.

I'm doing 72km a day with a regular bicycle now: Takes too much time. %$#^&#$

My mechanic told me that he saw error codes during an earlier maintenance. (He never told me)
I did notice one single hiccup a few weeks ago... very un-Bosch like.

Last edited:
I had 9500 on my motor before it acted up and was replaced.
Bought my first Trek with Performance CX in 2017. No problems for 26 months/9,117 miles. Motor died, Bosch replaced it foc. That motor lasted 5 months/1,497 miles before failing. Again, Bosch replaced it foc.

Felt I needed a backup so:

Bought new bike, again, Performance CX. It lasted just 4 months/695 miles before motor seized. Replaced by Bosch foc. Recently, 7 months/1,253 miles later Error Code 500 appeared – still awaiting diagnostic results at LBS.

To sum up: two bikes have had 5 drive units (so far) over the space of just over 3 years and 12,722 miles. All have been replaced by Bosch foc and each time the 2 year warranty is renewed. If this continues it may prove to be a form of perpetual motion!

Bought my first Trek with Performance CX in 2017. No problems for 26 months/9,117 miles. Motor died, Bosch replaced it foc. That motor lasted 5 months/1,497 miles before failing. Again, Bosch replaced it foc.

Felt I needed a backup so:

Bought new bike, again, Performance CX. It lasted just 4 months/695 miles before motor seized. Replaced by Bosch foc. Recently, 7 months/1,253 miles later Error Code 500 appeared – still awaiting diagnostic results at LBS.

To sum up: two bikes have had 5 drive units (so far) over the space of just over 3 years and 12,722 miles. All have been replaced by Bosch foc and each time the 2 year warranty is renewed. If this continues it may prove to be a form of perpetual motion!
Sorry to hear of your bad run with Bosch
What bike/s bike do you have
Do you know the route cause of the failures....water ingress?

Sorry to hear of your bad run with Bosch
What bike/s bike do you have
Do you know the route cause of the failures....water ingress?
First one is Trek Powerfly 7, the other a Trek Powerfly Sport, both CX Gen2 motors. Definitely not water ingress as neither of them have ever been out of their depth and I regularly grease the axle seals with silicone grease, just in case. Apart from the one that seized the others all simply ceased to connect with the system for unknown reasons - each time the Intuvia acted as though it had been removed from the bike. Everything checked outside the motor (wiring, connections, different Intuvia) but nothing found. I asked my LBS if they get any feedback from Bosch but no, nothing ever heard.

Bosh should clarify this problem. Changed my Performance line bike for a CX a few months ago, 500 km so far, scary story I read here.

Last edited:
Still no working Bosch-engine. The update did not fix the problem.
The bike shop (official R&M importer) is now trying to find the cause surrounded with a lot of self-pity.

Great to see high mileage Bosch motors out there with no issues, unfortunately my gen 3 CX motor is shot, it’s on a Bulls Monster e fs. Have a claim for replacement with Bosch but no motors available. It’s now been about 2.5 months; Bosch USA has said it may be September before they see any replacement motors.

The motor had about 2300 miles; I ride summer/winter here in Alaska.

At about 3 weeks into not having my Fat Tire ebike I bought a new Haibike Full Fatsix 10.0 with the Yamaha motor; loving this bike so far.

When the monster finally gets a replacement motor, I’ll be selling it, only because it makes no sense to have two fat tire ebike.

Ride on, looks like Bosch for the most part has a good motor, I just got one of the defective ones or they don’t do well in wet cold nasty riding conditions inherent to all year single track here in Alaska.

Great to see high mileage Bosch motors out there with no issues, unfortunately my gen 3 CX motor is shot, it’s on a Bulls Monster e fs. Have a claim for replacement with Bosch but no motors available. It’s now been about 2.5 months; Bosch USA has said it may be September before they see any replacement motors.

The motor had about 2300 miles; I ride summer/winter here in Alaska.

At about 3 weeks into not having my Fat Tire ebike I bought a new Haibike Full Fatsix 10.0 with the Yamaha motor; loving this bike so far.

When the monster finally gets a replacement motor, I’ll be selling it, only because it makes no sense to have two fat tire ebike.

Ride on, looks like Bosch for the most part has a good motor, I just got one of the defective ones or they don’t do well in wet cold nasty riding conditions inherent to all year single track here in Alaska.

Bummer, but I agree with your assessment. It is a good motor, you just happened to get a bad one.

The appropriate German term for it is "Montagsmodell". Means it was made on a Monday, after a returning from a wild weekend.

I've clocked over 10k miles in 3.5 years on my CUBE Cross Hybrid Pro 400 ( (Bosch Performance CX gen 2) so far and have been quite happy with it. My Bosch PowerPack 400 400Wh battery still provides about 90% of the range I got when it was still new. Unfortunately my motor crank has developed a small amount of play and the motor has started to make a type of grinding noise when I pedal hard, e.g., going uphill. It sounds like a main bearing problem to me. This may have been caused by water ingress at the crank due to me having to negotiate rather deep puddles while commuting to work in the rain.

>>>Update: I've tightened the drive crank arms (that attaches to the Bosch motor and I had to remove to replace the chainring) and the noise went away! So all is good, looking forward to 10k miles, I'm impressed :)

Last edited:
Bulls monster efs, Bosch Perfomance Line CX,
910 miles, motor sounds like a bunch of loose marbles inside.
Going in for motor replacement.

Performance Line Speed, 3 1/2 months old. Motor threw a error code 500 at 1299 miles last night on the way home from work and I haven't been able to get it to clear. No warning signs either, except maybe a slight hint of vibration at high assist/torque that I just took for the bike breaking in and my rear wheel needing to be trued.

Waiting for call back from a dealer, but I'm not expecting to be up and going again anytime soon. Very disappointed

Just yesterday watched a you tube video by the Park Tools people about listening to your motor. They were pretty adamant about not disregarding any changes in the sound of your motor from normal. They also made the point that far too often people kept riding a motor that had developed an errant sound and that usually meant the death of the motor. I've always loved Bosch everything. A great company. May their tribe flourish.

Back