Bosch motor average life span.

EdC

I recently bought a new ebike with the Bosch Active Line Plus motor. I’m a relatively high mileage rider doing about 125 miles a week, all year round. About how many miles could I expect to go before I need to replace the motor? Ed

3,000 miles each on 2 different Haibikes. Both 3 years old. Only thing I've changed on both is the chains at 2,500 miles. Everything else is original

I have two Bosch bikes at ~ 6.500km each (4000 miles?), no problems so far

Ps: that's a long commute, what's your route?

My Moustache Samedi Open XRoad 5 has just got 1051 today for his last ride of the season. Snow is arriving 2morrow. So far so good. Love the bike.

You can get a sense of motor reliability at https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com. It is in German but includes a Google translate option on the right. You can sign up on the web site and record your current drive system, motor type, and mileage (in km). The web site tracks the mileage and motor repairs and you can see the data back for those it is tracking.

If you look at "Generation 3 – (Bosch Active Line / Active Line Plus)" you can see that the posters have gone from a few hundred km to over 18,000km and none have had to replace the motor yet. So it seems tat they are well built.

I have two ebikes, both with Bosch Performance Line CX motors:
  • 2018 : Trek Powerfly 5 : 7,500 km
  • 2019 : R&M Homage : 10,500 km
No problems with either. (And none expected.)

Note: This assessment refers to the motors, not the batteries, wiring, controllers and displays.

Last edited by a moderator:
3,000 miles each on 2 different Haibikes. Both 3 years old. Only thing I've changed on both is the chains at 2,500 miles. Everything else is original

Ditto for me. Two Different Treks. Bosch Motors, Performance Line and CX, 3 years old, 3000 miles each, original Bosch Batteries. No Problems

I just crossed 11k miles on my Bosch CX drive after I started riding this bike in March of 2018.
I do have an ongoing warranty claim that I filed about 1000 miles ago because it suddenly got loud and makes whirring/grinding noises. Still riding it though and will do so until Bosch replaces it or it blows up completely. My LBS is in contact with Bosch and waiting for a decision.

I am having a whining noise now in my Trek XM700 at 10.000 miles. Been good but there is something causing the motor to whine. Gonna have to take to LBS and see what they say.

I recently bought a new ebike with the Bosch Active Line Plus motor. I’m a relatively high mileage rider doing about 125 miles a week, all year round. About how many miles could I expect to go before I need to replace the motor? Ed
I just turned over 9600 miles on mine. July will be two years of ownership. Original battery, only basic (expected) maintenance on bike. My commute is 18 miles each way; I shoot for 3 or 4 days every week commuting this way. It rides like its new.

Back