Bosch gen 4 cx motor.

Kandahah 2020

Hi.all the talk is about the new gen 4cx motor in mtbs.i still haven't bought my ebike yet which will be a step thru of some type.can we get the gen 4 cx in a step thru and if not why not and why is it exclusive to mtbs and not trekking/commuter bikes.for instance Chris nolte done a review on the gazelle ultimate t10 hmm 2020 which has the Bosch performance line gen 3.Why not just put the gen 4 cx in it.i know some people mightent want that much power but you don't have to go that fast if you want to.its nice to know that the power is there if you need it.cheers.

Last edited:
Hi, I just got my Cube Kathmandu with the easy entry frame last week which sports the performance cx gen 4, specs here:cube.eu website

The handlebar stem can be raised to allow for more upright riding position, hope you find something that fits your needs :)

I suspect the reason why bike companies are still using the Gen 3 motors is their bike frames will have to be re-engineered to accept the gen 4 motor, which is physically different. \

A quick search came up with two step-through bikes that have the gen 4 motor:

Bulls Cross Lite EVEO Wave Bosch Gen 4

Moustache Samedi 27 Xroad 5 open

Both bikes are fairly pricey.

Hi.all the talk is about the new gen 4cx motor in mtbs.i still haven't bought my ebike yet which will be a step thru of some type.can we get the gen 4 cx in a step thru and if not why not and why is it exclusive to mtbs and not trekking/commuter bikes.for instance Chris nolte done a review on the gazelle ultimate t10 hmm 2020 which has the Bosch performance line gen 3.Why not just put the gen 4 cx in it.i know some people mightent want that much power but you don't have to go that fast if you want to.its nice to know that the power is there if you need it.cheers.
The gen 4 cx isn't any more powerful or faster than the gen 3.

The gen 4 cx isn't any more powerful or faster than the gen 3.

The biggest thing for me was the pedal resistance which is almost unnoticeable in gen 4 but it’s like hitting a wall on gen 3, also it’s lighter and smaller. It provides the same amount of torque 75Nm but gen 4 provides 340% assistance in turbo while gen 3 “only” goes up to 300%.

The Gen 3 Performance Line is ideal for the Ultimate T10 65Nm of torque and a smooth power curve. The Gen 3 Performance Line is a great motor.

I can see why some might want the Gen 4 CX, but it wouldn’t be at home on the bike in my opinion. If you want a low step bike with the Gen 4 CX I would look at the Riese & Müller Charger3, or the Bulls Copperhead Evo Wave or the Bulls Cross Lite Evo if you want a true wave frame. The R&M bikes are available now, but the Bulls will be available in June.

The biggest thing for me was the pedal resistance which is almost unnoticeable in gen 4 but it’s like hitting a wall on gen 3, also it’s lighter and smaller. It provides the same amount of torque 75Nm but gen 4 provides 340% assistance in turbo while gen 3 “only” goes up to 300%.
To be clear, this resistance from the reduction gear is only present on the Gen 2 motors. Gen 3 and 4 don’t have a reduction gear.

Yea, it gives 340% assistance, but the power (watts), is the same.

To be clear, this resistance from the reduction gear is only present on the Gen 2 motors. Gen 3 and 4 don’t have a reduction gear.

Sorry, my bad, I’ve tried an older performance cx and experienced the resistance when the motor cuts off, maybe it was a gen 2. Although there seem to be some on the internets that are experiencing less resistance on the gen 4 motors...

https://www.the-ebikestore.co.uk/blog/the-new-bosch-performance-cx-2020-gen-4-motor-is-on-its-way/

https://ebike-mtb.com/en/bosch-performance-line-cx-2020-new-vs-old/

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products/performance-line-cx/

Hi, I just got my Cube Kathmandu with the easy entry frame last week which sports the performance cx gen 4, specs here:cube.eu website

The handlebar stem can be raised to allow for more upright riding position, hope you find something that fits your needs :)
WOW !!! Beautiful bike. . .I really like it--looks like a GREAT commuter/touring bike.

Back