Bosch gen 3 (65nm cruise) is it faulty? Or that’s just the way ebikes are?

Boggles

Hi folks, ok I have this problem with my ebike, it’s a cube 2020 ebike with a Bosch power pack 500 and a Bosch gen 3 motor. It’s only got 60 odd miles on it. The problem is. Just after climbing a steep hill on a high assist level for over 3-4 minutes with the motor giving constant assistance, usually near the top of the hill, loss of power, the battery icon starts to flash with no bars in the icon (as if the battery was fully drained) yet it has almost full charge. And then it just shuts down. Pressing any of the buttons does nothing, I have to wait at least 5 minutes before i press the power on button. And then it comes back to life, with all 5 bars showing in the battery icon in the purion display. It’s as if the battery has been fully drained, shuts off but then after a while (5-10 mins) all seems normal again. And this only happens after a long ride up a steep hill where the motor and or battery have been under strain for a long period. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue, or can anyone offer an explanation of what’s going on? Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks if you need any more details please ask.

Hello!

This definitely does not sound normal.

- What assistance mode are you using?

- What is your pedaling cadence while riding up the hill?

- What specific Cube model do you have, and/or what is the Bosch model name on the drive unit?

I recommend taking your eBike to a Certified Bosch Dealer when possible. They should be able to do a Diagnostic Report, and see what's going on. The dealer should also be able to submit the report to Bosch eBike Service in your region, and have them check for any issues/abnormalities.

Hi, it usually happens when I’m in sport or turbo mode, I live in a very hilly area when I take the bike out it’s fine it’s just on my return where I have to climb back up where I live this malfunction happens. I’m not sure how I would measure my cadence, all I can say it’s medium not too slow and not too fast. It’s a Cube Acid Hybrid 500 2020 with a Bosch performance line gen 3 motor. Here is the link to the exact bike ... https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/e-bikes...cube-acid-hybrid-one-500-29-blackngreen-2020/ hope this helps

The only thing I can think of (without seeing a Diagnostic Report) is that it may be a combination of very steep hills, and cadence that is too low. Purion does not have a cadence read out, unfortunately. Generally, 70-90 RPM is most efficient, though people often ride at lower cadences on the Bosch System. Since it's so steep, maybe try a higher cadence next time, aka lower gear?

edit: extremely hot ambient temperatures, when combined with intense usage, can sometimes cause the system to overheat and cut-out power temporarily. I don't think this would be an issue riding in Scotland in December though.

Still would be good to have a shop check the Diagnostic, as even on very steep hills this is not really an issue we hear of. 🤔

Another thing I was thinking was the temperature sensor, as when I got the bike back in the summer, the bike would do it on a regular basis.(when the average ambient temperatures were about 23 degrees) Now however, it’s winter time and where I live the temperature at the moment varies from 0 to 6 degrees Celsius. So it’s pretty cold, and the fault doesn’t happen no where near as often. In fact now it rarely happens which leads me to believe it’s something to do with the internal temperature sensor. Thoughts?

Ah, that's good to know. Sounds like it could definitely be something with a temp sensor that's not properly calibrated, or problematic otherwise. 23 C is not hot at all, relatively speaking, so unless you let it bake in the sun for a long time before riding, that should not be an issue.

Do you ever get an error code that pops-up on the screen of the Purion?

Best bet will be to take to Certified Dealer. Even if they don't find any errors codes on the Diagnostic report, I'd definitely ask them to call Bosch Service in your region and see what they think. Theoretically, DU would show an error code, though if the entire temp range calibration is just "shifted," it may "think" it's behaving normally. I don't know that I've ever heard of this specific thing occurring, but I suppose it's possible.

Yes, an error code 503 pops up before it shuts down, sorry should’ve mentioned that earlier. ATM it is a bit of a hassle to take it to a dealer, as I purchased the bike online. But it still is under warranty

Another thing to consider is that when this shutdown happens, the battery icon flashes with no bars in the icon (as if it was flat) then when it reboots it goes back to whatever charge was in it prior to it shutting down.

an error code 503 pops up before it shuts down
503Speed sensor errorCheck the placement of the spoke magnet (8 to 14 mm distance is optimal, parallel to the line on the sensor). Restart the system if necessary. If the problem persists, contact your Bosch ebike dealer.

503 is unrelated to the thermal issue, though it's definitely possible to experience multiple issues at once. Most commonly... the spoke magnet gets bumped by something, and either slides down the spoke, rotates away from sensor, or both.

Sorry guys, update, I wasn’t 100 percent sure if that error code was the right one, so I’ve just been out on the bike and purposely got the bike to malfunction and it’s error 532......

Could be a partially damaged battery power cable. Could also be partially misaligned battery mounts... it's not uncommon for the factory assembler to get the battery mounts close, but not perfect. Could still be thermal sensor (in battery OR drive unit), even if error code does not display on Purion. Sometimes, codes only show in Diagnostic software. Hard to say, but will likely need that dealer visit whenever you are able to.

Any chance you have a friend with a matching Bosch battery you can swap onto your eBike for a test ride?

532 screenshot.png

That sounds like a great idea but unfortunately no, I don’t even know anyone with an ebike :( I think I’ll open up the battery area tomorrow and make sure everything looks ok and there is no chaffing going on with the cables. I’m based on Glasgow and I don’t think we have many Bosch dealerships up here and with the COVID restrictions it’s really hard to actually get someone to look at the bike

In case I didn't express it well enough before... what you are experiencing is definitely not normal. I realize this doesn't solve your issue, but I want to give you peace of mind in knowing that this is something that can/will be taken care of when local logistics allow.

I'm not familiar with the local regulations in Glasgow, but I know that some shops here in the US are offering curbside service, and or pick-up/drop-off service. Maybe something worth calling around and checking on. The Dealer Locator should give you each shop's contact info if you click the blue icon.

Hi guys, by the way, thanks for all the support I’ve been receiving from you guys. Ok so today I finally got round to opening up the battery area, everything seems ok. I took the battery off, and there was a bit of water (nothing major just a few splashes) but I noticed where the battery mount is, the thing you put the key in. Where the 2 connection points are there are 2 small pieces of rubber, are they supposed to be there? If you can see the picture the small black rubber things at each side of the hex screw. I’ve took one of them off in the second picture so you know what I’m on about.

Attachments

• 93777951-186F-4448-BF03-FA9B56D46991.jpeg
    93777951-186F-4448-BF03-FA9B56D46991.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 445
  • 1C5B65D2-65F6-44D8-B082-84BD4A95DD81.jpeg
    1C5B65D2-65F6-44D8-B082-84BD4A95DD81.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 390
Hi guys, by the way, thanks for all the support I’ve been receiving from you guys. Ok so today I finally got round to opening up the battery area, everything seems ok. I took the battery off, and there was a bit of water (nothing major just a few splashes) but I noticed where the battery mount is, the thing you put the key in. Where the 2 connection points are there are 2 small pieces of rubber, are they supposed to be there? If you can see the picture the small black rubber things at each side of the hex screw. I’ve took one of them off in the second picture so you know what I’m on about.
Those rubber pieces are normal, and are designed to cushion the battery where it rests on the lock mount. Also helps prevent battery noise while riding overly bumpier terrain. Definitely want to keep those intact.

Back