Blown motor on E3 Dash with 29 miles on it

"..I also asked Chawn if my hub motor was one of the first ones with the glue problem. It was. He sent me a replacement of one of those also with the new and improved bonding agent for the internal magnets. I have yet to put that on my bike. I will keep everyone posted if there is any difference in feel in that “cogging” effect that many have talked about, including with myself. I am starting to feel like now that I can go on that 40 mile round-trip that I have been planning, which is pretty much on level pavement. This bike is truly a joy to ride when everything is working as it should...."

...so you have already experienced that effect? (due to the loose internal magnets)...or are you expecting to feel it (again, as well) with the replacement hub...that hasn't been installed as of yet?
I must not be understanding (sorry). To be honest, I was really hoping to keep the 'bad' hub motor myself since this was already known to be a non-fixable issue yet sent it back (as instructed).
Did anybody else get to keep theirs?

Dash,
We are having everyone return the bad hubs, because the shell that contains the magnets is exchangeable. We would not expect anyone to switch out their original stator/axle/controller assembly to the new shell/spokes/rim, so we have been replacing the entire wheel. Likely the returned wheels will be repaired, as new, with new shells with new glue, and returned to service.

The "cogging" feel is inherent to the design of ALL gearless hub motors, not only ours. It's nothing more than a very subtle index feel. Most people cannot feel it at all.

I told everyone that I would let them know how I am doing once my new replacement motor came shipped to me. It is now installed and working fine on my bike (an installation that anyone can do themselves with the proper tools). All you have to do is switch over the brake rotor, tire and tube, and the cassette. The hub already comes laced with the spokes to the rim. You send the old one back in the box that the new one came in with a return shipping label that Currie also gives to you.

By the way, I still get the “cogging” effect, and was told by the Currie Tech that this is absolutely normal, as he indicates also above. It doesn’t go away if you get a new motor. I was just wondering if it would. When I said "when everything is working," I meant when everything is working as it should be and not when everything is working as it shouldn't ("cogging" doesn't come into the equation here). So no one need fear that their motor is bad just because they too get the “cogging.” As soon as one begins to pedal it goes away. Or, if you don’t want to pedal, then just put it in throttle mode or in cruise control. I used the cruise control last week, and I, personally, really like it. Happy trails you guys.

Last edited:
...if you don’t want to pedal, then just put it in throttle mode or in cruise control. I used the cruise control last week, and I, personally, really like it...

Shhhh...next you'll be telling us that we can always switch to max pedal assist with a blip of the throttle or get started much easier with another blip...you should have got a 'pedal only' drive that is much more dependent on your gear shifting skills...and overall attention! ;)

Back