Blix Vika+ Folding Ebike 2016 version

Ann M.

The new 2016 version of this folding bike includes a more cushy, wider tires and comfortable ergo grips along with several battery upgrades that can be purchased. Comes outfitted with front and rear lights controlled by the display, full fenders and a handy rear rack.

https://electricbikereview.com/blix/v... The Blix Vika+ Folding is feature complete folding electric bike (full length fenders, integrated LED lights) with a larger than average battery and two upgrade options for even long range rides. Available in three classy colors (Green, Black and Cream) with beautiful fake leather touch points and silver accessories (rear rack, metal folding pedals, brake levers with rubberized edges). The seat post flips forward to make battery removal easier, no quick release on either wheel, you get pedal assist and throttle override but face a two-step power on process. The throttle is on the left and pushes forward vs. down which takes some getting used to, The battery isn't as hidden as some other models and is more rear-oriented, the bike is kind of heavy at ~51 lbs due to all of the accessories.

I looked at several ebikes and really enjoyed the easy going feel of the Vika+. As commented in the review I did notice a squeal from the front brakes when going downhill.
I am no bike expert but I do wish they had put at least one disk brake on the bike. But I love that there are bigger battery options. I actually had ordered this bike but Blix does not have the largest battery option available for perhaps another month, according to my dealer. My dealer said the big battery was about 16.5 amps but I read that it is about 17.5 amps, either way I guess it is close enough. That battery alone sells for $650 I believe. I like that the battery has room for expansion and that it is more centered that some of the rear heavy bikes.
Is anybody out there using the Vika with the 13 amp battery? If so I would like to know how long it can last. I am a big guy so I figure what ever the manufacturer claims about the battery I can knock off 50% or more. I did buy a EJoe SE recently, and based on my use of it and comments in the EJoe forum, I am having the gears changed out to make hill climbing and cruising more effective. The step through feature of the Vika is very nice. Both bikes have a quick release of the front wheel which is great. I could almost see myself parking the bike in front of a Walmart, locking the bike, and to discourage a bike thief, taking off the front wheel, sticking it in a bag, and off I go into the store! Bill

I have the new VIKA. It has does have a quick disconnect on the front wheel.
I get about 25+ miles on a charge (still testing) but cold reduces that a bit. I am 160 pounds.
I got a spare battery instead of the large battery, so I can drop home and swap and continue riding.
I like that more than one large battery. Have the same thing on my phone - swap batteries and charge while moving on.

I wish I had at least one disc brake and the display is not suitable for sunlight.. many other bikes have new / sunlight suitable displays. I would pay for a new display if they offered one.
I added some goodies.
a quick-sewn cover for rain / security,
a rear brake light via a micro-switch,
a front basket,
a rear tool bag that locks (for U-lock, gloves, tools etc),
a big seat from my other bike.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 1,720
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 1,810
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 1,915
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 1,949
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 1,978
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 1,740
  • Image00007.jpg
    Image00007.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 1,826
  • Image00008.jpg
    Image00008.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 1,996
  • Image00009.jpg
    Image00009.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,999
Has anyone done any long rides with this bike? I am afraid it will be uncomfortable with such small wheels. I just tested the Komfort+ but it was just a hair too big, and I saw this bike but it looked too small. Call me Goldilocks. Can you report?

Thanks -- Barbara

I have a juiced crosscurrent and my girlfriend has the vika+, I've also rode her bike extensively on long rides about 15 to 20 miles, you do feel the vibration a little more, but the seat spring suspension does help a lot in that regard, but the maneuverability and hill climbing with the small wheels is pretty damn awesome compared to my crosscurrent. Plus I didn't have any problems riding it being 6'1.

Thanks for your reply. Maneuverability and hill-climbing are both high on my list! I'm wondering about even longer rides (eventually) but I guess I could get a tube with shocks (or whatever the terms are) if I needed more comfort. Looking forward to trying one. And it's cool to know my husband (who is taller than me) could check it out as well!

Has anyone done any long rides with this bike? I am afraid it will be uncomfortable with such small wheels. I just tested the Komfort+ but it was just a hair too big, and I saw this bike but it looked too small. Call me Goldilocks. Can you report?

Thanks -- Barbara
tommylee here... yes it rides a little harder with small wheels...AND the small seat.
Check out my pics above. I added a seat ... the biggest, most padded one I could find. You keep the seat post, just use the core seat. Long rides ... yes. I ran the battery down once, close to 30 miles. I got a spare battery versus the larger battery. That way I can ride, swap batteries and keep riding.
In Portland, we have some serious potholes this year after a big winter, so I got a sample of all that. My old standard bike had bigger wheels and heavier tires...so I had some getting used to.. with the small ones.

I LOVE the size. It is so compact that I dont even need to fold it for my apartment. I would not tie it up outside.
For long commutes maybe a large bike is good... but if I worked in an office..I could likely bring it in.
I am retired. At 71 yrs old, it is a bit heavy to carry up 7 steps to my apartment level, but I can manage. Whereas a modern, standard bike would be quite easy.
But i LOVE riding this thing like a moped. Or pedaling but boosting the starts with the throttle.

For me, the FAT seat made a BIG difference. I am 5' 4" 160 pounds.
Hope that helps
Tom

Thanks again. I'm pretty sure this bike is the one I will wind up with. Do you know what the range is on the 17 amp battery compared to the standard one? I'm also considering either that or an extra battery as well.

Also, do you know the name/brand of the seat you bought?

I wish I was retired! Getting close - 64.

So excited to get back outside again.

-- Barbara

Thanks again. I'm pretty sure this bike is the one I will wind up with. Do you know what the range is on the 17 amp battery compared to the standard one? I'm also considering either that or an extra battery as well.

Also, do you know the name/brand of the seat you bought?

I wish I was retired! Getting close - 64.

So excited to get back outside again.
Image00006-crop.jpg

-- Barbara

I just bought it at a bike store...but I went to 3 stores to find one I liked... try the internet...
I guess those seat 'rails' are standard.. but Amazon parts are returnable if it wont fit...
////
NOTICE..... how close the seat release/bottom is to the battery...
////
is the 17 AH battery 'taller' ?...
I see a bigger advantage to 2 batteries.. I love swapping my cell phone battery when it is run down.. thats why I got a LD V10... to swap batteries... and 'be on my way again'...
I already have been doing just that...come home...swap...back out...
but i can run down before the battery...sometimes...haha
if you even need a second one.... they are ...spendy...
my advice is try the smaller.standard battery...then get a second one if you convince yourself you need it..
my current issue is: how can I carry the SECOND battery safely/securely on a longer trip...
when I solve that ..properly..then I can bring it along...
I have a suspicion the beefier battery is taller.. which may limit the seat adjust range..
but I dont know that...
so look into it.. maybe it is 'wider'?

I just bought it at a bike store...but I went to 3 stores to find one I liked... try the internet...
I guess those seat 'rails' are standard.. but Amazon parts are returnable if it wont fit...
////
NOTICE..... how close the seat release/bottom is to the battery...
////
is the 17 AH battery 'taller' ?...
I see a bigger advantage to 2 batteries.. I love swapping my cell phone battery when it is run down.. thats why I got a LD V10... to swap batteries... and 'be on my way again'...
I already have been doing just that...come home...swap...back out...
but i can run down before the battery...sometimes...haha
if you even need a second one.... they are ...spendy...
my advice is try the smaller.standard battery...then get a second one if you convince yourself you need it..
my current issue is: how can I carry the SECOND battery safely/securely on a longer trip...
when I solve that ..properly..then I can bring it along...
I have a suspicion the beefier battery is taller.. which may limit the seat adjust range..
but I dont know that...
so look into it.. maybe it is 'wider'?
EDIT: I meant LG V10...
I had trouble finding the larger seats at amazon... maybe the bike stores have better sources?

From what I have read, all the batteries are interchangeable.

What's an LG V10?
all the batteries are the same size, same casing just internals different. and their range estimates from their site is pretty accurate 10Ah - 30~40, 14.5Ah - 40~50, 17.4Ah 50~60 for just level 1 assist, if you stay at the top assist level or use throttle a lot just give or take subtract 10~15miles from those estimates. my gf has the 17.4Ah

From what I have read, all the batteries are interchangeable.

What's an LG V10?
...sorry...thats my phone LG brand, V10 model... the battery is removeable... I actually got a second battery and charge dock for free when I bought it... Android ...not iPhone type
also take a giant micro-sd internally 250 gig.. movies photos music ...all go along....

the seats looked so good...I sort of want to try another one..
for the price of a bottle of wine (that I can no longer drink..haha)

ride safe Barbara.... but dont try to pass me....... whizzzzzzzzzz.......

all the batteries are the same size, same casing just internals different. and their range estimates from their site is pretty accurate 10Ah - 30~40, 14.5Ah - 40~50, 17.4Ah 50~60 for just level 1 assist, if you stay at the top assist level or use throttle a lot just give or take subtract 10~15miles from those estimates. my gf has the 17.4Ah
cool.... large sounds good... now....
MY physical range makes me take a break before I run the battery down.. so, many times I just come home and swap...
if I was really trying to get distance... I would get two of the 'big' ones....
if I was in Southern Calif... or Sacto Calif..... I would be out a lot more than Portland Oregon.. and maybe the big batteries would be better...

I ride in the rain... it like sailing... a 20 foot boat in SFO Bay...
waves in the face are...refreshing....

I pull over if the traffic gets weird or dicey....
and wear this helmut....

that little green star on the battery (look close) is to match the KEY to it.. I have a red star and key ...for the other battery.... locks and tools in the rear bag.... I guess it all weighs 60+ pounds...
I have to 'JohnWayne' it up 7 steps to my apartment... but I am careful...

having a sassy adventure...keeps me...ticking....

Attachments

• Image01.jpg
    Image01.jpg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 895
Back