Bleeding brakes and truing wheel

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
So after sitting in a hot shed over the NC summer, my Flow has developed what I think is another loose spoke (based on the rhythmic ticking noise when riding), and my right brake lever feels a bit soft.

Contacted Espin service and they got right back to me, recommending I take the bike to a shop to have the brake line bled and the wheel trued. They said just send them a screen shot of my receipt, and they'll reimburse me... And reiterated that I need to have it done by a professional in order not to void my (active) warranty. All pertinent spoke size and tensioning information has been provided to me to share with the mechanic.

They also suggested I contact REI for the work, as they apparently work on Espin bikes! Will be calling them in a bit to see if I can get an appointment, and report back 😉. This could be a great resource, if accurate!

Kudos to Javell and Andy at Espin for getting back to me so quickly, for providing the information I need, for suggesting a bike mechanic in my area, and for picking up the tab, honoring their warranty!

Last edited:
Update: just spoke with my local REI: they WILL work on my bike (they want to see the bike first before scheduling service)! Going to take it down tomorrow, and they have openings next week to do the work.

There you go: if you have an REI, they have a full service bike shop, and will work on your Espin!

Don't have the price yet, but will find out when I take the bike in.

Curiously, after I told her I had an Espin, she asked if I purchased it from them 😜!

Price list for my store looks very reasonable, too:

Last edited:
So after sitting in a hot shed over the NC summer, my Flow has developed what I think is another loose spoke (based on the rhythmic ticking noise when riding), and my right brake lever feels a bit soft.

Contacted Espin service and they got right back to me, recommending I take the bike to a shop to have the brake line bled and the wheel trued. They said just send them a screen shot of my receipt, and they'll reimburse me... And reiterated that I need to have it done by a professional in order not to void my (active) warranty. All pertinent spoke size and tensioning information has been provided to me to share with the mechanic.

They also suggested I contact REI for the work, as they apparently work on Espin bikes! Will be calling them in a bit to see if I can get an appointment, and report back 😉. This could be a great resource, if accurate!

Kudos to Javell and Andy at Espin for getting back to me so quickly, for providing the information I need, for suggesting a bike mechanic in my area, and for picking up the tab, honoring their warranty!
REI service update: My "personal mechanic" rode the 4 miles down to REI this morning. They bled both brake lines, no charge, and made an appointment to have the spokes re-tensioned (wheel trued?) on Monday. Member price quoted is $36, same as on their site. The professional bike mechanic says (after checking several spokes) many on the non-drive side are too loose. Thinking about having them check the front wheel, too?

So far, so good 😁!

Back