Bionx: Trek T80+ and Bike Commuting Overall

FrUSA

Since the system is a Bionx one:

Looking to get back into commuting by bike, but MANY obstacles in my way (hills, etc), and due to injuries, I have been out of "practice," so to speak.
I bought one of these after test-riding a couple of other models. Issues I found with the other ones were an EXTREME lack of ability to maintain spares (batteries, mainly), and lack of sufficient support from the shops near me. Trek's local shop sold me on their ability to supply the needed parts, knowledge of the system, and one other thing that was a major factor: price.

Since this went on "clearance," I decided to take a sensible plunge at $1500, as opposed to the original asking price of $2300 or so. I am on a budget, after all.

I've been on several rides to get to know it, and I am happy with its performance. It suits my needs. However, the one issue that plagues me is the WEIGHT of the motor on the rear hub.

I am not light (230lbs/105kg) and the motor must weigh close to 30 pounds. Add in my panniers with the day's supplies for work (lunch, water, clothes), PLUS lock and spares (tube and tools), and nearly all of the weight is on the rear tire.

The options for mounting a rack on the front are there, but most racks need to be potentially modified from what I have seen EXCEPT for the Thule Pack and Pedal, which seems very flexible. With the suspension on the front, the options are a tad limited, and I knew this going in.

If anyone would like to enlighten me on their experiences with the Thule rack, T80+, front rack mountings, or any other advice, I am open.

THanks in advance for your information.

Since the system is a Bionx one:

Looking to get back into commuting by bike, but MANY obstacles in my way (hills, etc), and due to injuries, I have been out of "practice," so to speak.
I bought one of these after test-riding a couple of other models. Issues I found with the other ones were an EXTREME lack of ability to maintain spares (batteries, mainly), and lack of sufficient support from the shops near me. Trek's local shop sold me on their ability to supply the needed parts, knowledge of the system, and one other thing that was a major factor: price.

Since this went on "clearance," I decided to take a sensible plunge at $1500, as opposed to the original asking price of $2300 or so. I am on a budget, after all.

I've been on several rides to get to know it, and I am happy with its performance. It suits my needs. However, the one issue that plagues me is the WEIGHT of the motor on the rear hub.

I am not light (230lbs/105kg) and the motor must weigh close to 30 pounds. Add in my panniers with the day's supplies for work (lunch, water, clothes), PLUS lock and spares (tube and tools), and nearly all of the weight is on the rear tire.

The options for mounting a rack on the front are there, but most racks need to be potentially modified from what I have seen EXCEPT for the Thule Pack and Pedal, which seems very flexible. With the suspension on the front, the options are a tad limited, and I knew this going in.

If anyone would like to enlighten me on their experiences with the Thule rack, T80+, front rack mountings, or any other advice, I am open.

THanks in advance for your information.
I have tried about every option out there for carrying stuff. My experience:
If your commute Speed is 10-15mph a trailer works awesome. The best one I have used is the Burly Travoy - it doubles as a hand truck.

If your commute speed is over 15mph go with a backpack. The great thing about a backpack is how fast and easy it is. Draw back is the sweaty back.

I have tried panniers...they are slow to pack/unpack and cumbersome to carry.

I have tried buckets with bags inside...good option but you look like a hillbilly and passing other riders/walkers can be a bit tight for space.

My $0.02.

Thanks for the input. I used to commute with a backpack, but we all know the issues there. In that case, it did not matter because I was in a physical job. Now I am in a close office community where we are all working close by, and we have no shower.

I am just really trying to redistribute the weight. I will have to pre-position stuff I guess.

FrUSA, I'd still vote for a rear rack and panniers; did that for decades myself. Yes, a little cumbersome but if you combine that with prepositioned clothes, toiletries and munchies, it's very doable! Use the panniers to swap stuff. Better than a backpack, a royal pain in the neck :D

My wife rides a T80+ but misses the throttle option she had with her old conversion bike. Has anyone knowledge of a throttle kit that can be aded to the T80+ . ?

Back