Biked in a Coastal Flood - How to protect the feet front getting wet?

hoboin

Region
USA
Hey all, i had to ride to a doctors appointment to get a procedure done on my neck, was pretty wild riding for over 30 minutes and not a single person was on the bike path, i was wondering if i had gone fully crazy. Anyways the ride was pretty fun, my rain jacket and water resistant pants held up and i didnt get my body wet at all, Gloves did amazing (i bought cheap workers gloves from walmart that are cowhide, insulated and warm, and water resistant for rides like this) and having my ski goggles and ski helmet made my face fine in 50 degree weather and high winds. Only issue were the feet. On my way home it felt like a pool of water was forming. I normally tuck my pant legs into my socks and that is what i did yesterday, not really thinking much about my feet and shoes but they obviously got soaked. I am wondering what are some good options when i HAVE to get somewhere like a doctors appointment or important job at work and i need dry feet if possible. I keep shoes at work and spare clothes/socks and i have never had a problem with rain in 4 months of commuting but i know it will happen.

Thanks guys for everyones help. I got into biking again 5 months ago BECAUSE of this amazing forum, you guys helped me restore my friend's 20+ year old electric bike and it sent me on the path to electric biking and ditching a car completely. I ride 20 miles a day, commute to work and have not purchased gas in over 5 months. Lost 30 pounds, i'm battling chronic lower and upper back pain and the biking has been such a huge benefit to me so thanks again all!!!!!

I am a retired land surveyor and worked outside in all kinds of weather. They make all kinds of waterproof boot, some are rubber and some aren’t. The rubber ones lasted longer for me but aren’t as comfortable. The best option for you might be rubber ones you pull on over your regular shoes. Glad to hear your doing well.

Sounds like the problem was more splash than immersion. I have a vinyl covered rainsuit I bought in the Army that is baggy enough to blouse over combat boots. No water from above. Wore it a rainy week in the field at Ft. Riley. I was comfortable even after I fell down the truck stairs into the mud. They sell similar products for construction workers in yellow. However, I don't like the all plastic versions, they don't breathe enough.
If the water comes from below you have to wear rubber galoshes or waders. The best ones come from the duck hunting store. However, sweat while biking would probably immerse your feet anyway in rubber boots.

Are you trying to keep your feet dry, or warm? You also need to keep in mind that most folk's feet are waterproof.

One option is to just wear sandals with no socks and carry a towel.

You might also consider various types of neoprene socks, which won't keep your feet dry but will keep them quite warm.

They are expensive, but check out the Irish boots, Dubarry. I have them for sailing, and use them sometimes for biking in wet seasons. They are tall and completely waterproof, while Gore-Tex breathing. Very comfortable!

thanks for all the replies! I have a pair of waterproof boots i got from LL Bean at a recent sale and i should have worn them, i decided on wearing the shoes because i knew i was going to be laying down on my side for a procedure and might have my shoes on the table/bed (nerve block injection into neck, 2nd procedure before doing radiofrequency ablation). I think i will try wearing them more on situations like that were i will be in the rain, or go for some of those neoprene shoe covers for sure. Also i loved the idea of the socks, i put myself on the mailing list to see if they ever have any sales.

I know these boots arent the best, but i needed some and they were on sale for only $50 from $150 and they had my size so i got them. I also got my rain jacket from LL Bean, a bright red rain jacket i wore that day and it kept me perfectly dry underneath.

My goal is to keep my feet dry, not warm. I dont have cold feet problem like some people i know, i bought some nice fleece socks recently and love them and they have been keeping me warm. I just want to mainly wear my merrell regular "biking" shoes that have the best traction for my particular bike pedals, i feel kind of locked in while wearing them. Those are what i wore and i would love to just have a neoprene over cover, kind of like an overcover for pants which i should have been wearing.

For my pants i was wearing my favorite go to pants, eddie bauer fleece lined pants and they have water resistance stretch outside that kept me pretty much dry the whole time. Going to the hopsital my legs were not wet at all, coming home right at the end of the 45 minute ride in pretty steady rain i just felt very light dampness on thighs, so i could have warn an over layer but i don't really have a waterproof overlayer for the pants yet. I have long legs, 36" inseam and its almost impossible finding stuff that fits. Thats why i bought 4 pairs of the eddie bauer fleece pants when i found them on sale and in my size.

Yeah i think i need to just wear my boots and find some good pants with 36" inseam that are certainly waterproof.

I found that rain pants do a good job of funneling water right onto my socks and shoes. Since I can't stand boots over the ankle this inevitably led to water wicking down my socks into the inside of waterproof shoes and then cold wet feet.

That's why I switched to waterproof socks and don't worry about the shoes getting wet or soaking through. Personally, I find the fit and feel of Showers Pass better than Sealskinz. There's often a random pair on sale on Amazon for $23 or less.

Also if you commute a cheap glove/sock dryer at work makes the ride home a lot nicer.

I found that rain pants do a good job of funneling water right onto my socks and shoes. Since I can't stand boots over the ankle this inevitably led to water wicking down my socks into the inside of waterproof shoes and then cold wet feet.

That's why I switched to waterproof socks and don't worry about the shoes getting wet or soaking through. Personally, I find the fit and feel of Showers Pass better than Sealskinz. There's often a random pair on sale on Amazon for $23 or less.

Also if you commute a cheap glove/sock dryer at work makes the ride home a lot nicer.
I’ll order a pair, I just received a pair of Sealskinz. With the two in rotation less excuses though I’ll find some

51Wb7RQz9zL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

These are what I use.

lots of great options, thanks guys. Those waterproof socks kind of make my brain hurt though, seems impossible. So they really work, and i guess you just feel slightly damp feeling from the wet shoes? I will keep an eye out for them cheaply on amazon, thanks for that. Also i will look into a glove dryer, that would be nice!

I tried a set of water proof socks once, maybe they were not the best, but I didn’t like them. My feet felt clammy or something.

Back