Bike won't connect to the App.

mfgrep

Region
USA
I went on a group ride this morning and per usual started BLevo app to map and record my ride. My bike would not connect to BLevo. Usually this is completely seamless....just power on....press start....away I go.

Tonight I went out to the garage to troubleshoot and the bike will also not connect to Mission Control or to the latest Specialized application. When attempting to connect to the bike via any particular application I was certain to have all other applications closed. None of the three applications that I would potentially use to connect to my Vado SL can "see" my powered on and otherwise fully functioning Vado SL.

Anyone experiened this and have a potential solution? I really would prefer not to leave my bike at an LBS during these last glorious days of the season.

@mfgrep, My frustrating experience:

The new app refuses to connect by Bluetooth to my bike in regions where my cell phone has no signal but will easily connect when I have a signal. We've tested this in multiple locations along the rural trail we use, comparing Bluetooth connection in sites with cell service to sites with no cell service, and the result is consistent. However, using the old Mission Control app as a control in the same no-service sites where the new app won't connect, Mission Control connects easily and reproducibly in both "with service" and "no service" sites.

Fiddled with the settings on the new app to no avail.

Consequently, I drop kicked the new app through the goal posts of life and went back to Mission Control.

So, riddle me this: Why does the new app absolutely have to have cell service to connect to the bike? What does access to a cell signal have to do with connecting to the bike via bluetooth? These are rhetorical questions and I don't expect an answer, but if anyone knows the answer, it would interesting to understand this.

My experience doesn't appear to be exactly like your experience but it feels good to rant. Thanks for reading.

Specialized, this is stupid! Tell your obviously city-dwelling app designer to fix this bug to accommodate rural users. Not everyone has full service everywhere.

Last edited:
@mfgrep, My frustrating experience:

The new app refuses to connect by Bluetooth to my bike in regions where my cell phone has no signal but will easily connect when I have a signal. We've tested this in multiple locations along the rural trail we use, comparing Bluetooth connection in sites with cell service to sites with no cell service, and the result is consistent. However, using the old Mission Control app as a control in the same no-service sites where the new app won't connect, Mission Control connects easily and reproducibly in both "with service" and "no service" sites.

Fiddled with the settings on the new app to no avail.

Consequently, I drop kicked the new app through the goal posts of life and went back to Mission Control.

So, riddle me this: Why does the new app absolutely have to have cell service to connect to the bike? What does access to a cell signal have to do with connecting to the bike via bluetooth? These are rhetorical questions and I don't expect an answer, but if anyone knows the answer, it would interesting to understand this.

My experience doesn't appear to be exactly like your experience but it feels good to rant. Thanks for reading.

Specialized, this is stupid! Tell your obviously city-dwelling app designer to fix this bug to accommodate rural users. Not everyone has full service everywhere.

Your hypothesis may be correct....I do not know. I have been able more recently to connect but never paid attention to my signal strength.
I VERY seldom use either Spesh or Mission Control applications.....only to change my charge limiter status or to quickly check odometer/charge cycles.
I was having trouble connecting to BLevo when I posted the original post. I haven't had the issue since.

I do understand your point and confirm it. The Specialized App requires the internet connection available to connect to a Specialized e-bike. I guess the reason is the app wants to log onto your Specialized account to get the access to the Specialized Cloud. Bear in mind the Specialized App is a new product and it still undergoes development.

Why, you still can use Mission Control. For me, the new Specialized App brings nothing new that MC wouldn't already have!

@mfgrep: I just want to assure you and anyone else BLEvo works OK without the Internet connection.

Last edited:
Back