bike strange sound

kayel

My adventurer is making a strange sound. it's not the spokes but it sounds like a squeak.
I need help

Front wheel or back? You're going to have to provide a lot more information, a LOT more. Oddly, the saddle and mounts make up a lot of noises on a bicycle.

Not the OP, but I've got a strange sound coming from my rear wheel area. It's a faint, high pitched, intermittent sound, almost like a small bird cheeping.
At first, it happened seldom and I actually thought I was hearing birds in nearby bushes. Now it's more frequent and can happen in my garage.

I had recently changed my rear brake pads and though there was some alignment or wear-in issue. But the sound happens even if I'm applying the rear brake.
It also occurs when I raise the tire off the pavement and spin the rear wheel by hand, no pedal or chain movement.

I've ridden and serviced bicycles for 70 years and have never heard such a noise.
Wheel bearing? Any ideas??

"It also occurs when I raise the tire off the pavement and spin the rear wheel by hand, no pedal or chain movement."

This would preclude a loosening crank arm as the cause, but thanks.

"It also occurs when I raise the tire off the pavement and spin the rear wheel by hand, no pedal or chain movement."

This would preclude a loosening crank arm as the cause, but thanks.
I responded to the OP.

That said, is it a rear hub? These days sealed bearings in non-motor hubs are pretty darn tough. I have an engine stethoscope from my air-cooled VW days. They're quite helpful.

I responded to the OP.

That said, is it a rear hub? These days sealed bearings in non-motor hubs are pretty darn tough. I have an engine stethoscope from my air-cooled VW days. They're quite helpful.
I'm beginning to lean toward the unlikely source: a sealed bearing.
I'll put it up on a work stand tomorrow and see if I can be a good detective.
I've got a human stethoscope from my RN days.
Thanks for the reply.

Little bird squeak solved!
But now I have egg on my face.

When I changed the rear brake pads, I missed threading the cotter pin through the hole in the pad-spreader spring.
Somehow the spring stayed in the caliper over the last 50 miles, but intermittently allowed the pads to drag on the disc, just barely, emitting the squeak.

At my age, I luckily know how to use my 5 gal. can of facial egg remover.

Back