Bike Shutting Down

Jim britt

Region
USA
Hi,I keep getting a E 10 code and then my bike will shut off, sometimes I will unplug the connections and the bike will restart,I taped the connections shut and it is still doing it,any feedback would be appreciated, Thankyou.

Hello Jim, is this code propagating on a unit with a hub drive motor or a mid drive motor? And do you happen to know the brand of motor that is on your unit? For hub drives, generally speaking, an E10 will be a communication fault, on mid drives this is normally a temperature protection code.

It's a hub drive 500 watt from electric without the e my computer won't let me type it that way,in my owners manual it says check connections, all are good, I was wondering if I am missing something else I should check? Thank you for the help.

That is pretty common for manual diagnosing from manufactures. More than likely it's a communication fault, these are generally fixed by replacing the display screen. Sometimes with communication errors (if a display swap doesn't fix it) the next step would be to replace the motor controller, display, and the harness connecting the two. 90% of the repairs I have done, replacing just the display will correct the error. However keep in mind, that is my personal data and the conditions for you may not be the same. If it was me though, I'd replace the display screen and see if that works.

Before you do anything else try this. Buy some Dielectric grease, Parts Cleaner and canned air. Clean all the connections, dry the connections with the air, and apply the grease to every connection between the battery and motor. Make sure your battery is secure also, I used 5mm dense rubber pads mounted between the battery and battery cover to reduce movement.

I had the same problem on my Yamaha and they recommended doing this first. It fixed the problem for me.

+1 on the dielectric grease. Boeshield or ACF50 are good too. Sometimes a bad connection can be caused by the tiniest bit of essentially invisible patina on the connections. Follow Mitch's suggestions and maybe reconnect and disconnect everything a few times before snugging them back together.

TT

Very informative, I will do and get back to you to let you know how it works, Thanks Again for the info! Jim

Back