Bike related Christmas gifts

Finally get a couple days off this week, so I'm giving myself the gift of a couple bike rides even though though the weather is supposed to be what @Prairie Dog calls 'relatively mild' this week.
Couldn't think of nicer gift especially today. đź‘ŤI would be out riding in a heartbeat if it was warmer out but a bone chilling-38C wind chill this afternoon had me retreating indoors to the trainer instead.

Other reasons why I skipped out on my ride today was to zoom with family and to start dinner preparations for my wife and I. I also shoveled last night’s snowfall from the driveway and sidewalks of both our property as well as our neighbor’s who were out of town.

Christmas dinner was great. We usually don't do turkey as there is only the two of us. Herb crusted lamb, garnished with latkes, roasted winter squash, Brussel sprouts with a crumb topping and glazed carrots. Crème caramel for dessert. Even leftovers for tomorrow.

IMG_20211225_1848354.jpgIMG_20211225_1758065.jpgIMG_20211225_1838282.jpg

Bought the wife some new waterproof trousers and gloves online on Christmas Eve as we found out that her existing ones weren’t that waterproof, despite being labelled as such.

Should get this week sometime.

Also, got her an early Christmas present of a GORE Womens C5 Gore-Tex Infinium Soft Lined Thermo Waterproof Jacket. She used this in anger on Christmas Eve, as it absolutely bucketed down on the way back. Which is how we found the other items weren’t that waterproof, but this jacket worked well.

5EF218AE-AEE5-4B25-923F-5A435A58BC9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hayes Feeler Gauge

If you’ve ever struggled with rotor/pad rub and were looking for a quick way to align your brakes this little tool works like a charm as long as your rotors are true. Just loosen the caliper mount bolts, insert the gauge between the pads and rotor, squeeze on the levers, torque down the bolts and remove the tool. Pretty much eliminates rub altogether. There are other gauges out there but I just happened to obtain this one from the same site where I purchased my bleed kit.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Hayes-Brake-Pad-and-Rotor-Alignment-Tool

Hayes Feeler Gauge

If you’ve ever struggled with rotor/pad rub and were looking for a quick way to align your brakes this little tool works like a charm as long as your rotors are true. Just loosen the caliper mount bolts, insert the gauge between the pads and rotor, squeeze on the levers, torque down the bolts and remove the tool. Pretty much eliminates rub altogether. There are other gauges out there but I just happened to obtain this one from the same site where I purchased my bleed kit.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Hayes-Brake-Pad-and-Rotor-Alignment-Tool
I forgot I have two of these to give away. They don't work on shimano hydraulic calipers they wont fit in. but they are not needed as the calipers center well they. worked great on my magura and my shimano 2 piston so if someone wants them for the cost of shipping let me know.

Really? They worked fine on my 4 piston Shimano Deore brakes. Just need to loosen the caliper bolts. If I would have known you were giving them away, I would have snapped one up. Good of you to let others know. đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Really? They worked fine on my 4 piston Shimano HDR brakes. Just need to loosen the caliper bolts. If I would have known you were giving them away, I would have snapped one up. Good of you to let others know. đź‘Ť
I have deore 4 piston and xt and they wont fit the pads are too close. if I retracted the pistons they would work of course. but the calipers center perfectly without. but alley other calipers needed them to center well.

For Christmas this year, got a new rear light that mounts below the saddle on the rails.
From Amazon and reasonably priced - test ride this weekend.

I really like lights when trail riding with friends - we can track each other better when in the trees.
I have a Knog one that mounts on seatpost etc,.. but with a dropper, options are limited.

Here's the link at the.com site:

1640889318666.png

1640889662920.png

I hope my Christmas gift recommendations for bike lovers will help someone next year.
Recently, I got a bike-themed gift, which was unnecessary, and it ruined my mood.
So, never get your recipients any personalized gifts, like helmets, T-shirts, or jackets. You might not get the size, and the gift will be ruined. Last Christmas, I got gift baskets for men with various snacks, and I was happier with this gift, rather than with the windproof jacket, which was way too small for me.

Got this as an early xmas gift. Been great for skiing as a mid layer during our recent subzero temperatures:

Sporthill makes good hi-tech outdoor clothing at very reasonable prices.

As a Christmas/birthday gift, my wife gave me this Outbound Lighting, Trail Evo Bike Light:

Pricey for a bike light to be sure but for me, it ticks all the boxes.
Compact
Internal battery
Weighs less than a pound
USB rechargeable with "pass through" that lets you charge & power the light from your bike's USB port.
4 output levels up to 2200 lumen max.
Sturdy mount with quick release.
American made

OUTBOUND-12.png
OUTBOUND-90.png

Got myself a 6v tail light that plugs into the 2.5mm spade connectors coming out the bottom of the replacement BBS01b motor I fitted this summer. 6 years I’ve been riding with the previous BBS01a motor and this is the first time I’ve been able to turn on a light using the + button.
0E0128E8-5616-4B59-AADF-779B067D2FE2.jpeg

Last edited:
As a Christmas/birthday gift, my wife gave me this Outbound Lighting, Trail Evo Bike Light:

Pricey for a bike light to be sure but for me, it ticks all the boxes.
Compact
Internal battery
Weighs less than a pound
USB rechargeable with "pass through" that lets you charge & power the light from your bike's USB port.
4 output levels up to 2200 lumen max.
Sturdy mount with quick release.
American made

View attachment 143176 View attachment 143177
You won’t be disappointed. I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks now and have used it to light the local trails. The EVO combo kit with the Hangover helmet light is awesome. There’s even a nifty doodad available to manage your cables.

IMG_20221214_1626091.jpg

Back