Bike regulation questions

Cates

I am moving to Germany to the Vilseck area. I am looking to purchase a bike that will be lawful there but would like to purchase in the US and ship from here. I'm not worried on shipping but I am looking for an electric bike that would work for off roading and (as well as possible) would be useable in fall/winter. Ideally something that could potentially be brought on the train. Any tips appreciated.

@Cates, shipping the ebike from here to Germany will be expensive and you have to make sure it has the appropriate sticker on it or it will get held in customs. Is it necessary for you to purchase the bike here in the US? You will also find that there are more brands available throughout Europe and the newest models are generally released in Europe first.

No I don't have to ship it but my employer will pay to ship my household goods so I was thinking to ship it for that reason and I had thought it might be cheaper to buy here as people there were telling me bikes are more expensive over there. I am
open to suggestions. I was planning to use it for commute until I get my license and a car. I was hoping also to buy a basket for my dog to ride in on weekends. I have a small Yorkie. What's the deal with the sticker? Thanks for your reply and advice.

... I had thought it might be cheaper to buy here as people there were telling me bikes are more expensive over there. ...
With the e-bike tariffs going into effect this month, the opposite may be true ... worth checking out anyway.

Alan, that's a possibility.

@Cates, to help you figure out the 'right' bike; please share what you know about the terrain where you'll be living in Germany and the potential max range you want. I gather from your first post that you're probably going to be doing off-road as well as on road. My first suggestion is to not just buy the bare minimum of power & battery size. Most people expand where they ride and the miles they do once comfortable with the ebike. Do you want a bike that's limited to the standard 250 watts? Or are you willing to pay the fees & insurance for a speed pedelec?

I found a little info about shipping lithium batteries & ebikes from Bikes-Eu.com that will help and a post on EBR that will explain more about that certification sticker.

There are a few reputable US shops that will ship an ebike overseas, I suggest you start by emailing Chris Nolte at Propelbikes, [email protected] or start a Conversation with him to get details, they indicate on their website that they do International shipping. It's not clear to me if you can include the ebike inside a container of other personal goods if it's still packed with all of the Haz-Mat info on it or if it has to be shipped separately and I think Chris will have an answer.

Sounds like a great adventure! Is this a permanent move for you?

Buying in Germany will be fun. I suggest you buy from a local bike shop near where you live and start relationships there. The more you do in your local area the faster you will adjust to your new town and home! Living abroad is a fun adventure, even before you know the language. I am speaking from experience, as I moved alone overseas for three years, learned the local language well and had a great time. :) bike store people are very helpful. Take your time and enjoy the people and process. :)

Alan, that's a possibility.

@Cates, to help you figure out the 'right' bike; please share what you know about the terrain where you'll be living in Germany and the potential max range you want. I gather from your first post that you're probably going to be doing off-road as well as on road. My first suggestion is to not just buy the bare minimum of power & battery size. Most people expand where they ride and the miles they do once comfortable with the ebike. Do you want a bike that's limited to the standard 250 watts? Or are you willing to pay the fees & insurance for a speed pedelec?

I found a little info about shipping lithium batteries & ebikes from Bikes-Eu.com that will help and a post on EBR that will explain more about that certification sticker.

There are a few reputable US shops that will ship an ebike overseas, I suggest you start by emailing Chris Nolte at Propelbikes, [email protected] or start a Conversation with him to get details, they indicate on their website that they do International shipping. It's not clear to me if you can include the ebike inside a container of other personal goods if it's still packed with all of the Haz-Mat info on it or if it has to be shipped separately and I think Chris will have an answer.

Sounds like a great adventure! Is this a permanent move for you?

I agree with Ann's suggestion to email Chris Nolte at Propel Bikes. Chris has an excellent selection of e-Bikes and he very knowledgable. Should you decide to purchase in Germany, check out www.bike24.com They are a huge online German based website and have tons of e-bikes listed. They also have two stores in Germany. I purchased two sets of Schwalbe Tires for my e-Bikes from bike24.com because the size I wanted was not available in the US. The service was excellent and even with shipping I saved almost $40.

Hi Ann,
I messaged propel bikes this morning actually and they no longer ship overseas. Thanks for the info. I'm going to do some more research.
Everyone else. Thanks for your opinions.

Hey @Cates as other’s have stated it would be best to buy the bike in Germany. You’ll have many options there and it will be easier to support. If you’re only going to be there for a short trip it could make sense to buy a US bike, but for a longer stay you’ll want to have a native system with the support that goes with it.

It is also possible to have issues with customs in a place like Germany since they already have clearly defined regulations on Ebikes.

Thanks @JayVee for helping to explain this.

Let me know if I can help further and have an awesome time in Germany. It’s a beautiful country and most of my favorite bikes originate there ;)

@JayVee, Thanks for the specifics on European rules for electric bike certification and the pluses of buying where you're going to live. I understand that the EU has set some formidable tariffs on ebikes coming in; however, if you have links on info that would help us better understand the EU laws, please load us up :) since Cates isn't the only US person in this situation. I found some things (see above); however, it wasn't easy to dig for the info. Would especially appreciate info on the EU COC (Certificate of Conformity) sticker since I think many members don't understand this is and additional rating, considerably different than our simple ebike classification stickers in the US.

Thanks for asking that Ann. I would like to know more about the COC as well. I think I will just bring my regular bike and purchase an electric once there. If anyone has tips on brands to look for or shops around Weiden, Regensburg, or Munich let me know. I think those are the the closer cities to where I'll be. Also the move will be for two years and probably longer. I know someone asked if it was permanent. I was hoping to utilize the train system here and also my bike to explore around see cities/towns/rural/bike trails etc. I know it gets pretty cold and they get snow. I would be willing to pay fees etc for a pedelec. I'm not sure as far as range yet or the varying landscapes. Thanks
again all.

Back