Bike radio

Mkj

I was thinking of buying a radio to put on my bike to listen to during the daily commute to work.
Does anybody use one.?
Which is the best on the market??

I use a Bluetooth speaker, streaming from smartphone. JBL Clip. Hunted and found for half off. $20. I’m hearing impaired and I can rock out without hearing aids. Load enough to frustrate those aro und me. Great sound with HA’s on. Been through many charge cycles over a year. Nice kit.

Best is the one you like!

Last edited:
I have been using the bone induction type blue tooth speakers. They fit in front of your ears and sound actually travels thru the bones in front of your ears and you can still hear
whats going on around you.

I use a Bluetooth enabled Sena helmet with built in speakers. It works well for me when paired with my smartphone. The speakers don't obstruct traffic and other noises around you.

I was thinking of buying a radio to put on my bike to listen to during the daily commute to work.
Does anybody use one.?
Which is the best on the market??
We use the Sena R1 helmets which have Bluetooth connect to a smart phone. Works great and you can receive phone calls without amplifying your music or conversation.

There are a few "neck speaker" units made by companies like Bose (Bose SoundWear) or JBL (Soundgear) that you wear around your neck and can play back music from your smartphone and use to take phonecalls. Since they are not physically covering your ears they do not hide outside sounds (which could be deadly when bike riding) and for me, at least, they are comfortable and the sound quality is OK. Even though they are a bit expensive compared to some other solutions they are also handy to use around the house while doing other stuff such as working on your bike and prevent you from not hearing knocks at the door, people talking to you, that type of stuff.

Ditto. External blue tooth speaker through your smart phone. Speakers are fairly good quality and inexpensive.

Fugoo XL only ridden the bike one without it... and I hated it. Too large for most riders but I wouldn't ride without it.

I don't have a bike radio (or earbuds, etc) of any kind so I can't say for sure but don't they mask the sound of traffic around you? If so, this would make riding in traffic more dangerous, correct?

At the start of our stay at home order we rode a popular trail. There were so many more people than usual! At one trail intersection a teenager slowly coasted across my lane. He didn't respond to my bell or my loud voice announcements as I hard braked to a stop just short of hitting him. He had earbuds and obviously couldn't hear me. Yes, he should have looked more carefully but without earbuds he more than likely would have heard my warnings. Similarly for car traffic noise, I can often hear it before I can see it. Makes for good defensive riding.

I'm leery of all joggers and pedestrians on shared trails as they randomly have ear buds as well. They often react with surprise movements when I pass them, despite the bell and my customary "bike passing on your xxx" announcement. No collisions yet, but it's come close a couple of times.

Earbuds can get you killed whether you are wearing them while riding a bike or having a zombie wearing them walk out in front of you. I can hear everything going on when my Fugoo is playing and the added benefit that non-earbud wearing zombies hear me coming and most often turn around to see where the music is coming from, step out of my way, and smile... or frown, ya can't win them all. I can't ride without music. Another great benefit is that other riders can hear you coming up on them. -

Is the sena X1 any good?
I have the Sena X1's and like them for phone calls & listening to FM radio. The sound quality isn't that great for music but it's passable. The X1's have been replaced by the R1 and R1 EVO models but they are still available. I use "cat ears" noise reducers on the X1 helmet straps which improves sound quality considerably by eliminating wind noise. This isn't possible on some R1 models though since the speakers are located in the chin straps and would interfere with the cat ears.

Earbuds can get you killed whether you are wearing them while riding a bike or having a zombie wearing them walk out in front of you. I can hear everything going on when my Fugoo is playing and the added benefit that non-earbud wearing zombies hear me coming and most often turn around to see where the music is coming from, step out of my way, and smile... or frown, ya can't win them all. I can't ride without music. Another great benefit is that other riders can hear you coming up on them. -
I don’t know that I’d want a Fugoo, but I’ve ridden the Foothills Trail enough that I can avoid the root heaves without looking!

The stretch from South Prairie through Buckley is the best. They’re scheduled to start on the bridge crossing the White River about now, which will extend the trail through Enumclaw. I haven’t been out there in a few weeks, so I don’t know if they’ve begun.

Ok, this thread can get back on track now.

I have the Sena X1's and like them for phone calls & listening to FM radio. The sound quality isn't that great for music but it's passable. The X1's have been replaced by the R1 and R1 EVO models but they are still available. I use "cat ears" noise reducers on the X1 helmet straps which improves sound quality considerably by eliminating wind noise. This isn't possible on some R1 models though since the speakers are located in the chin straps and would interfere with the cat ears.
Ok thanks

Hi got a sena r1 helmet now but went to download the app & there are lots if sena apps on the Google play store & I don't know which one to download ??

Also after a R1 visor in large if anybody has one? Tried eBay & online no luck
I don't know if it's the same on the R1 but I have the "large" visor for my X1 Sena and it's too small for the low sun angle riding I do.

I attached this Bell visor to my X1 with Velcro and it works fine.

Back