Bike rack for sedan that are economical, but solid.

jolo100

Region
USA
I'm looking for an e-bike and a e-bike rack. Have a sedan, so I found out that I would need to add a hitch to my auto before getting a e-bike rack.
A shock for me is the cost of the racks. There is the Thule rack that is about $850 that all e-bike and hitch stores sell here in Denver.
Are there e-bike racks that are lower in cost and still good enough? It would be just for one bike and I don't expect long drives of more than an hour with it.
I didn't get my e-bike yet, but it will be a step through.
Thank you in advance.
Jon

I'm looking for an e-bike and a e-bike rack. Have a sedan, so I found out that I would need to add a hitch to my auto before getting a e-bike rack.
A shock for me is the cost of the racks. There is the Thule rack that is about $850 that all e-bike and hitch stores sell here in Denver.
Are there e-bike racks that are lower in cost and still good enough? It would be just for one bike and I don't expect long drives of more than an hour with it.
I didn't get my e-bike yet, but it will be a step through.
Thank you in advance.
Jon
What bike are you getting? Initially I thought I would have to add a hitch and rack to my car, but instead I’ve bought less expensive roof bars & rack with a more expensive yet lighter bike. Turned out to be the much better combo in the long run for me because I can easily transport it as well as riding is a lot easier. My bike weighs about 16 kg (Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5) but there are many bikes around that weight class. It also has other benefits such as being able to walk up stairs and also ride as a normal non assistance fitness bike.

I would have no qualms toting one 50-70 pound bike on a $150 platform rack rated for two 35 pound bikes. In fact, I did that the other day when my heavy fat tire bike had a flat tire,

What bike are you getting? Initially I thought I would have to add a hitch and rack to my car, but instead I’ve bought less expensive roof bars & rack with a more expensive yet lighter bike. Turned out to be the much better combo in the long run for me because I can easily transport it as well as riding is a lot easier. My bike weighs about 16 kg (Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5) but there are many bikes around that weight class. It also has other benefits such as being able to walk up stairs and also ride as a normal non assistance fitness bike.
I don't know what e-bike I will be getting if at all. When I found out about the cost of carrying an E-bike on the back of my sedan, I thought that I better check it out first.
The e-bike stores here in Denver and the two "hitch" stores I got estimates for, only recommended the $850 Thule rack. With the installation of a hitch the cost is about $1,300. This put me in a tailspin. I'm not mechanical and a senior, so I need something easy to use and maintain. I will have it installed for me.

I would have no qualms toting one 50-70 pound bike on a $150 platform rack rated for two 35 pound bikes. In fact, I did that the other day when my heavy fat tire bike had a flat tire,
That is amazing. I'm sure a e-bike will be about 60 pounds.

I have a question about getting a hitch for my sedan. From looking, it seems like a 2" hitch seems standard. Then I just received two quotes from "hitch" stores that recommended a 1.5" hitch (and the $850 Thule).
So, I'm confused about that.

Find an ebike you want and go from there. Etrailer.com has a good selection. Just remember you may want to transport your ebike over significant distance in potentially bad roads so get one rated for the weight and probably a 2” if possible.

Find an ebike you want and go from there. Etrailer.com has a good selection. Just remember you may want to transport your ebike over significant distance in potentially bad roads so get one rated for the weight and probably a 2” if possible.
I don't expect to travel now than an hour or so driving with it..
I figured that I should get a 2" hitch, however, the two estimates I received from the "Hitch" companies both quoted me on 1.5"and only the Thule rack.

Oops, on the Thule rack, there is a adapter for a 2" receiver. It's still $850 at Trailer.com, but...I am definately not going to pay that much for a rack.

Last edited:
I don't expect to travel now than an hour or so driving with it..
I figured that I should get a 2" hitch, however, the two estimates I received from the "Hitch" companies both quoted me on 1.5"and only the Thule rack..
Just remember that a rack that can haul 2, 35 lb bikes isn’t designed for one 70 lb bike, no matter who makes it. Skimp on the hitch or the rack and your very expensive new ebike might just go tumbling down the interstate. A lot depends on what you cars hauling specs are. Then I guess it’s time you get a quote from someone else for some other brand.

Just remember that a rack that can haul 2, 35 lb bikes isn’t designed for one 70 lb bike, no matter who makes it. Skimp on the hitch or the rack and your very expensive new ebike might just go tumbling down the interstate. A lot depends on what you cars hauling specs are. Then I guess it’s time you get a quote from someone else for some other brand.
Thank you, I understand. I would not get a rack that wasn't rated for e-bikes..
About other brands, the local e-bike shops only carry the Thule rack. I'm not getting feedback from them on others.
I'm not going to look at cheapo ones, like at stores like wal mart, Target, etc. Aren't there some good quality hitch mounted e-bike racks that would be half or less than the $850, or...I might be wrong. It would be for 1 e-bike, the most 2.
I ignorantly figured that they would cost me from 2 to 3 hundred dollars. The rack and hitch now would cost me about $1,000 more than that.
In my E-bike hunt, it looks like I would need about 3,000 for a bike. Although, my hunt is being complicated by low inventory in my E-bike stores and my short stature. It's running over what I could afford.

I would like advice on other brands. I be used to have a wonderful Thule carrier on the roof of my old honda.
About the hauling specs on my 6 cylinder, 2003 TS S, that is why I am would get a hitch on it. It's a powerful car.

Thank you, I understand. I would not get a rack that wasn't rated for e-bikes..
About other brands, the local e-bike shops only carry the Thule rack. I'm not getting feedback from them on others.
I'm not going to look at cheapo ones, like at stores like wal mart, Target, etc. Aren't there some good quality hitch mounted e-bike racks that would be half or less than the $850, or...I might be wrong. It would be for 1 e-bike, the most 2.
I ignorantly figured that they would cost me from 2 to 3 hundred dollars. The rack and hitch now would cost me about $1,000 more than that.
In my E-bike hunt, it looks like I would need about 3,000 for a bike. Although, my hunt is being complicated by low inventory in my E-bike stores and my short stature. It's running over what I could afford.

I would like advice on other brands. I be used to have a wonderful Thule carrier on the roof of my old honda.
About the hauling specs on my 6 cylinder, 2003 TS S, that is why I am would get a hitch on it. It's a powerful car.
Like I said, etrailer.com. I have a Draw-tite 2” hitch on my Rav4 hybrid, with a Hollywood rack. I haul 2 56lb Trek Allant+7 ebikes for 3 hour trips fairly often at interstate speeds. Best of luck.

discountramps.com has some good heavy duty ramps. I would prefer to over kill it, than to be looking for parts dragged off the back of my wagon.
20210612_174359.jpg

Attachments

• RRST Bike Ramp 20201223.jpg
    RRST Bike Ramp 20201223.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 237
discountramps.com has some good heavy duty ramps. I would prefer to over kill it, than to be looking for parts dragged off the back of my wagon.View attachment 94789
No ..I don't want that!! 😀
I wouldn't want anything "cheap" and I will have it installed by a pro.
I'd like specific names of e-bike racks that are good for 1 bike, hitch connected, easy to move the bike into it that cost less than the Thule $850 rack.
What's difficult for me is that the Thule rack is the only one I've ordered by 3 e-bike stores and 2 "hitch" companies. It needs to work well. It's just that the high cost of the rack (and hitch and install) takes money away from the E-bike and the high cost was not anticipated for me .

400-lb capacity motorcycle racks were $175 two months ago and then they suddenly all jumped to $350. But thats still a bargain compared to an $800+ OneUp or similar.

About the load on a rack... its not so much the weight of the bike hanging on the rack... its the weight of the bike as its bouncing. You REALLY do not want to use the fully-loaded rating and ignore the single-bike weight limit.

With a motorcycle rack the argument is moot. Way more capacity than you can put on it, plus it uses a roll-on ramp. the very-common Black Widow racks have, for another $85, a 6-ft version of the ramp that is well worth the upgrade cost.

Hopefully the sudden price increase is not going to stay in place forever. Last I looked the steel versions were still cheap (the rack is heavier because steel).

I am very happy with my Kuat NV 2.0. It does come in 1.25" or 2". Be mindful that reputable hitch installers will not install a 2" hitch unless your vehicle is rated for that capacity. If you will ONLY put on 1 ebike, the Kuat Sherpa can hold up to 60lbs.

Yes, check out eTrailer. Good products and helpful info, e.g., from their website FAQ's: The difference between the Class II and Class III hitches has to do with their Gross Trailer Weight (GTW), their Tongue Weight (TW), and their Hitch Receiver Size. Class II trailer hitch receivers have a 1-1/4 inch receiver and can be rated up to 3,500 lbs in GTW and up to 525 lbs in TW. Class III, on the other hand, have a 2 inch receiver and have up to 8,000 lbs GTW and 800 lbs TW.

Have the installer include trailer lighting adapter cable. You may want to add a light bar if your vehicle lights are obscured by the bike and hitch.

Here's the good one with the 6' ramp included. Price is unfortunate but $350 for both these days with free shipping is probably as good as it gets. discountramps.com is cheaper but you have to go thru checkout to see how much they want for shipping. The box mine came in was huge so don't hold your breath on that lower price holding up.

And here is the cheaper steel version. these used to be about the price of the alloy racks give or take $20. The $129 price is not complete as you will want to spend another $85 on a decent ramp. The steelie is also something like 10 lbs heavier than the alloy rack. If I had to do it over I'd still do the alloy despite the increased cost today. Picking it up and maneuvering it ... the sucker is over 5 ft wide and I appreciate the weight reduction and its better made to boot.

Last edited:
Here's the good one with the 6' ramp included. Price is unfortunate but $350 for both these days with free shipping is probably as good as it gets. discountramps.com is cheaper but you have to go thru checkout to see how much they want for shipping. The box mine came in was huge so don't hold your breath on that lower price holding up.

And here is the cheaper steel version. these used to be about the price of the alloy racks give or take $20. The $129 price is not complete as you will want to spend another $85 on a decent ramp. The steelie is also something like 10 lbs heavier than the alloy rack. If I had to do it over I'd still do the alloy despite the increased cost today. Picking it up and maneuvering it ... the sucker is over 5 ft wide and I appreciate the weight reduction and its better made to boot.

I think that we are seeing inflated pricing due to the effect that Covid has had on manufacturing..Look at the crazy increase in auto pricing.

I also use these Curt straps with my Swagman rack. Mine attach to the roof carrier on my car and lower the weight load on the hitch, which is really the limiting factor, not the strength of the rack. Swagman sells wider baskets for my rack which enable fat tire bikes, and there are no 35 pound fat tire bikes.

I think the $350 price is very reasonable. A lot better than $850.
I am intrigued by this rack because of the ramp. It looks easy to mount the e bike in it and to take it down. Very important to me.
Looks like it was made with more in of a dirt bike kind of usage, which doesn't matter to me.
I wonder if the aluminum will work well.

Back