Bike Mirror Options: Handlebar, Helmet, Glasses Mounted

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys, this isn't a comprehensive guide but I wanted to share some of what I learned when hanging out with Chris Nolte at Propel, talking about rear view bike mirrors. As always, I welcome your input and elaboration on what's in the video, what you have experienced yourself, and what you think would work well or are excited about in the coming years. I haven't used bike mirrors a lot, and have actually been annoyed with them at times because the demo bike wasn't setup right... they seem like a precision part that really needs to be dialed in to work. And, maybe I just need to get used to them? Anyway, they do seem like a good idea as long as they don't compromise your steering or just end up being distracting.

In some parts of the world, bicycle mirrors are actually a requirement. Germany requires them for Class 3 speed pedelecs, for example. I had never really explored the options or learned how to use a bike mirror before this, but I see the value in keeping track of your surroundings. Many people use ebikes as a means of transportation in the city and I have used them for commuting to work. Sometimes you really need to be focused ahead vs. looking back over your shoulder, and that's when a mirror can help. Most of them are small, adjustable, and mounted to the bike handlebar... but some options can mount to your helmet.

The mirrors that we looked at in this video guide include:
  • Busch & Müller 701 Mirror: this mirror is fairly large, offers fine tune adjustment after being mounted, fits into the end of the handlebar tube, and has a spring loaded fold-in feature to reduce damage if you bump a sign post, automobile, or other obstacle when riding in tight spaces. The fold-in feature might also keep your bike handlebar from turning and causing an accident if you do make contact... it's a very cool feature. I didn't see the mirror listed on the official B&M website but here's a link to Propel: https://propelbikes.com/product/busch-muller-701-mirror-e-bikes/
  • Busch & Müller 901 You See Cycle Star: this mirror is medium sized and round, offers a bit of fine tune adjustment after being mounted, and fits into the end of the handle bar tube, and also folds in but does not spring back out on its own. You can see this mirror at https://amzn.to/2OCyHu9 and since it's compact, it might be good for smaller ebikes that fold.
  • Ergotec M-99: this mirror is fairly large, offers fine tune adjustment after being mounted, clamps onto the handle bar, and does not appear to have a fold-in feature. You can see more details about this bike mirror at their official website here: https://www.ergotec.de/en/products/spiegel/sub/ruckspiegel/produkt/m-99.html this one is made for e-bikes and rated for 45km/h speeds.
  • Ortlieb UltraLight Bike Mirror: this mirror is fairly large, offers fine tune adjustment after being mounted, clamps onto the end of a handle bar, does not have a fold-in feature but also does not stick out. You can see more details on the official Ortleib website here: https://ortliebusa.com/product-category/ultralite/ it's a good option for lightweight road bikes.
We also talked about handlebar diameter and opening sizes during this video and Chris explained that most handlebars are 25.4" wide at the ends, and that most grips and mirrors should fit. In North America, in most place it would make sense to mount a mirror on the left handlebar (since bikes ride on the right side of the street), but there are places in Europe where you'd want to mount this to the right handlebar. Some mirrors are side-specific, so it's something to be mindful of when you're mirror shopping.

Some mirrors mount into the end of a bike bar, others clamp onto the outer portion of the bar and can be positioned above or below, inside or outside of the grip. It's a good idea to simulate turning with a mirror before actually riding a bike, so you know that it won't hit your knee or thigh. It's possible to mount two mirrors, as we see with motorcycles and some Vespa type scooters, but since ebikes do not generally ride in traffic, most only utilize one side mirror. In terms of pricing, it seems like bike rear-view mirrors range from $20 to $50 depending on the features and quality. You can see a full list of Busch & Müller bicycle mirrors at their official website here: https://www.bumm.de/en/products/ruckspiegel.html

In addition to the bike-mounted rear view mirrors that we explored, there are also helmet-mounted mirrors. Apparently they can work pretty well, but it can create a bit of wind noise and get bumped easier when you take the helmet off. I haven't used this type of mirror myself but you can explore a bunch of options here: https://amzn.to/2AysoVF and finally, there are even sunglass mountable rear view mirrors that are removable. These are the smallest option of the bunch and might stay in position the best, but could add some ear and nose weight, especially if it's windy out or you're riding fast: https://amzn.to/2KmoqPm Here's another thread about bike mirrors that I found in the forums that talks about bike mirrors.

electric-bike-mirrors.jpgrear-view-bike-mirrors.jpg

Excellent timing as I need a mirror for my Stromer ST1 Platinum I should be receiving soon. Thank you gentlemen!

Excellent timing as I need a mirror for my Stromer ST1 Platinum I should be receiving soon. Thank you gentlemen!
Sweet! That's a great bike, I did a video about it recently with my Dad (he mostly stayed off camera). It held up well, runs really smooth and quiet, and is one of the fastest Class 3 ebikes I have tested! Just be careful with the plastic display panel clamp because it can crack easily. Here's the video, in case you missed it :)

Thanks for this.
Second day with my 2019 Giant Fathom E+ and I was in traffic tonight.
A mirror would have been helpful.

Cheers,

That Busch & Müller 701 is really cool with its easy adjustability and fold-in feature. I love my Mirrycle too, but if I ever break it, I am going for the B&M 701.

I've had a couple of mirrors but on the mountain bike there is no kickstand so the bike has to be laid on the ground. can only use one side. When falling off you don't get to chose which side. I've also clobbered a fence or two which knocks the mirror out. Most of our railtrails have either a narrow cattlestop or some kind of width restrictor to prevent horses or motorcycles from getting on the trails. It is tricky to ride through without hitting the mirror.

Having said all the negatives I still would like a mirror so I can see if the rest of the team are still following.

I'm about to order a couple wrist mounted mirrors for my daughter and I from Rearviz. It seems to me a much better solution to other options as I can buy one for any bike I ride, don't have to have an honestly ugly, bulky heavy mirror assemblies throwing off my steering or catching on passing trail foliage. I'll give a review here after I've used it a bit but I suspect it'll do the job quite well from the reviews I've seen.

Let us know what you think. I really like my helmet mirror. I posted in this thread about it over two months ago, and still am a fan of it for its durability, adjustability, and size. :)

I hope you like the wrist mirrors and look forward to hearing your assessment!

I got this mirror on amazon (comes in pairs). So far they have been great. I only use the one on the left side. (well both can be use on the left or right side)

Attachments

• IMG_9677.jpeg
    IMG_9677.jpeg
    903.8 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_9676.jpeg
    IMG_9676.jpeg
    640.4 KB · Views: 2,203
Do any of these mirrors have convex glass? I have bar end mirrors on more than one motorcycle that do. They are similar to the one from M-factory on the other thread. I need a better field of view than flat glass offers.

On both our bikes, (wifes' and my Specialized) we use Mirrycle mirrors but with a modification. Since the bikes' handlebars are soooo wide, I did not use the small horizontal piece when mounting the mirrors but rather mounted the mirror directly to the vertical piece. Keeps the mirror in tight which we like.

Attachments

• mirror1_1000.jpg
    mirror1_1000.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 924
  • mirror2_1000.jpg
    mirror2_1000.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 762
Got some barend mirrors recently and so far I'm very happy with them. They are flat so I can judge exact distances. Plus I can see cyclists far behind me (use the right mirror for that) easily whereas that was difficult with the convex mirror I had before. Plus I really like the looks.

The end plugs that came with the mirrors didn't fit my handlebars. They were supposed to be for motorcycles so understandable. What I did was slide my grips and everything in about 1/2 an inch and mounted the mirror clamps on the end of the handlebar (flat aftermarket handlebars on Radrover). That worked out very well. Then I added some solid 3D printed ABS endplugs on each side to complete it.

If I was to do it over again, I would probably just design and print some new endplugs and just mount the mirrors on them instead. Would have saved the work of having to move the grips and the other stuff.

2018-10-20 00.27.20.jpg

I previously had an old mirrcycle mirror that mounted into the end of the flatbar. Not great, vibrated alot and frequently out of adjustment. Eventually shattered when the bike fell. Bought a bike that had an old Zefal Dooback mirror that mounted the same way, and it is SO good. I love how it folds and pivots, you can easily tuck it down out of the way and then swing it up when needed for a street section.

I bought a new Zefal Dooback 2 for the Edgerunner, love it even more, mostly because the reflective surface is still pristine. I will probably buy Zefal mirrors for all the bikes, eventually.

I got this mirror on amazon (comes in pairs). So far they have been great. I only use the one on the left side. (well both can be use on the left or right side)

I'm pretty sure that I just ordered those exact mirrors, both left and right. Are the mirrors polished stainless steel, instead of (fragile) glass? The ones I got said they were. I like how they mount inside the grips, so they're not sticking out past the bar-ends, since I often need to lay my bike down on its left side, since it doesn't have a kickstand. This style will allow them not to get jostled, and are how many motorcycles do it. I plan on mounting mine above the bars, because I'm traditional like that.

It was an added expense to my build that seems superfluous, but after some thought seem imperative. When I boil it down, I'm building a motorcycle, that moonlights as a bicycle, because of the way it looks. Allowing me to circumvent many (expensive) laws, such as insurance, registration, "no motor vehicles allowed on this path" signs, etc.

I went with the Hafny bar end mirror. The polished stainless steel surface is not as perfect optically as a glass one, but seems good enough to spot a vehicle approaching from behind you. A flat mirror just doesn't have the field of view I need. None of the dozens of motorcycles I've owned had flat mirror glass, either.

Attachments

• Hafny mirror.png
    Hafny mirror.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 695
Back