bike locks, what's the pick?(ha)

So you guys have got a stack of expensive bikes. What's the pick(sic) of locks?
Chains are too big and heavy, can be cut anyway.
U bike locks can be cut with bolt cutters or portable angle grinders.
Disc brake locks( America, bought one) seem like a good idea, but I've read the keyways are not great and the alarms go off needlessly all the time.
A couple of folding locks seem promising(expensive). Light weight, easy to carry. Hard to cut? Abus 6500 granit x-plus , Foldylocks
A Titanium(god forbid you loose the key) lock by Altor seems like it might be the best(AKA- most expensive).

So what's the pick. Who's got what, and what do and don't they like about it?

So you guys have got a stack of expensive bikes. What's the pick(sic) of locks?
Chains are too big and heavy, can be cut anyway.
U bike locks can be cut with bolt cutters or portable angle grinders.
Disc brake locks( America, bought one) seem like a good idea, but I've read the keyways are not great and the alarms go off needlessly all the time.
A couple of folding locks seem promising(expensive). Light weight, easy to carry. Hard to cut? Abus 6500 granit x-plus , Foldylocks
A Titanium(god forbid you loose the key) lock by Altor seems like it might be the best(AKA- most expensive).

So what's the pick. Who's got what, and what do and don't they like about it?

The very best security for your bike. They follow me everywhere I go. They don't always wear suits.

bodyguards-for-hire.jpg

More seriously, I think any lock can be bypassed. You can read that even the best "rated" ones have been useless on many occasion.

Bottom line, get a lock that makes sense to you, with decent reviews on Amazon for example, maybe a chain or solid cable too.

In my case I got a U-lock recommended by @america94 from Bell, also got a disc lock, also recommended by same.

I also installed a very loud alarm, under the seat.

http://toolsofselfdefense.com/g-ken...ke-light-with-usb-cable-mountain-accessories/

I like it and it is crazy loud.

Mind you, I very rarely leave my bike out my sight... Kinda anal about it.

Boy, just those sunglasses alone must have set you back a bundle. The under seat alarm seems very cool. Conceivably some sort of cheap thrill.
Yes, probably everything can be broken into. And who wants to spend a half hour locking up your bike. Several simple locks, some type of alarm, and maybe even a bike cover. Highly recommended by motorcycle guys.

You'll love it.

In my case, I could not mount it right under the seat, I had to use the bracket for the seat post. The new seat has a handle that protrudes down... So since you have the 1st Gen seat, oh and you even upgraded yours, it will probably fit.

I love the seat handle by the way.... Not to rub it in :oops: comfortable too.

I mounted the remote on my extension bar.

I'll post a few pics later

I guess I failed miserably in my textural MATRIX reference, with my viewing the black suited types as the bad guys on Neo's trail, or as was he was called by the lead bad guy, "MISTER ANDERSON".

I think it's an age thing, the Matrix is a lot newer... I'm more of a fan of Bond films or Dr Evil... Sorry I missed it.

I have one too and it's very usefull! When you lock your bike and everyones around hear the "Arm" chirp, then stay away from it! And the flashing light working well, activate with the handlebar remote. Replace my bell too
I'll also seriously considering the Abus foldable lock!

Bike%20alarm_zpspyonqgbg.jpg

Bike alarm.jpg

Last edited:
AguasissiM, you posted a link to Foldyseat on another thread. Does that mean you have one? If so, how do you like it, or don't?

Back