Bike Light Flash Patterns

Jim1348

My wife and I rode the Cannon Valley Trail in Minnesota yesterday. A number of the riders had daytime flashing headlights. The one that most attracted my attention was one that was FLASH, FLASH, DOUBLE-FLASH. Does anybody happen to know what bike lights have that as a flash pattern?

My wife and I rode the Cannon Valley Trail in Minnesota yesterday. A number of the riders had daytime flashing headlights. The one that most attracted my attention was one that was FLASH, FLASH, DOUBLE-FLASH. Does anybody happen to know what bike lights have that as a flash pattern?
I ride with: GNT Recon HL 200 Headlight from my Giant bike shop. It has several flashing patterns including this one - which I think is Morse Code for SOS [dot, dot, dash]

I use Lezyne Zecto front and rear lights - they both have many settings including the one you describe. Very good lights

Yea, my mistake - but it does flash for SOS which is why I never use that setting - thanks
I guess better to have an SOS option and not need it... but when would anyone be likely to use it? When being chased by a bear?? After being run over by a truck?? And how many people know Morse code anyway?

Just curious, because a Morse code flashing bike headlight seems to me like a silly idea, and because you thought dot dot dash meant SOS, what makes you believe your headlight can flash SOS? Not saying it can't....

TT

Last edited:
Knog lights also typically have several flash patterns - the one described seems familiar!

Mine isn't working correctly and flashes the SOS pattern backwards 🙃
But just about all bike lights have that or a very similar sequence.
SOS is a palindrome as well as an ambigram (reads the same upside-down.)

I'm still very skeptical that any bike headlights flash SOS. Seriously, why would they? I would welcome a link to a headlight claiming to do so. The Giant Recon HL 200 mentioned above does not make such a claim.

Things that blink don't all mean SOS.

TT

SOS is a palindrome as well as an ambigram (reads the same upside-down.)

I'm still very skeptical that any bike headlights flash SOS. Seriously, why would they? I would welcome a link to a headlight claiming to do so. The Giant Recon HL 200 mentioned above does not make such a claim.

Things that blink don't all mean SOS.

TT
The upside down head 🙃 means it was said in jest 🙃
As I found the statement somewhat ridiculous... I couldn't help myself 🙃

I'm still very skeptical that any bike headlights flash SOS. Seriously, why would they? I would welcome a link to a headlight claiming to do so.

Here you go. Its a gimmick but the idea is to use it to summon help after a crash out in the boonies. Or guide a bear to his next meal if you are an animal lover.

Search 'SOS bike light' on Amazon and you'll find a slew of them.

I own a few of the one linked. Its a quality light, surprisingly. Cheap, bright, a good worklight for nighttime repairs roadside - unfortunately I've had to do that - and has USB and USB C plugs so the 2 18650's inside can be used as a compact power bank.

Back on topic, Bontrager calls this an 'interruptive' blink. Knog Blinder Square and Big Cobber lights have them. So do Bontrager Flares. Many others. They all do it differently. The idea is a steady blink is repetitive and can create a moth effect - drunk drivers may be attracted to them and steer towards a steady blinkie. So you make the blink irregular and its more noticeable.

Here you go. Its a gimmick but the idea is to use it to summon help after a crash out in the boonies. Or guide a bear to his next meal if you are an animal lover.

I'm not shocked but it seems like a feature of very peripheral utility, the target market likely pre-adolescent boys. But, sure, as I said earlier, better to have it and not need it, I suppose.

TT

Wtf even Diggy Gun is posting Morse code.
Please speak in plain English.
Back in the 70s, I was an Observation Post (spotter) Signaller in the Royal Artillery, hence knowing a bit of Morse.

However, this is about the only bit I can remember now.

DG…

Back