Bike Garages in Vancouver

superdave

Region
Canada
City
Vancouver
Hi, new member here. I live in Vancouver, Canada, and I recently bought a Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 for commuting to work and recreation. I wonder if anybody who lives in the Greater Vancouver area can share their experiences using Bike Garages along the Skytrain routes. Have you had or heard any security concerns of bike theft? I commute to work, and there is a Bike Garage on the Commercial-Broadway Skytrain station that I am considering using, which is a sketchy neighborhood. Vancouver also has the unenviable reputation of being the bike theft capital of Canada. I have an Abus Frame Lock and Abus Bordo Granit XPlus folding lock for the back wheel and frame, and a Kyrptonite chain lock for the front wheel and frame. Seems like overkill, but the bike carriers in the garage seem somewhat mangled, and given time, any bike can be stolen. Do people feel safe using them?
(BTW, my office does not allow me to bring the bike in the office, and anyone can easily access their "bike garage" without a key during the day without security cameras.)

I used a bike locker at a Skytrain station near our house for my son. He would ride his bike to the station and then take transit to school. We never had a problem with his bike but when you look at the locker you couldn't tell if a bike was in there or not so perhaps that makes a difference.

Would be interested to hear the experience of people who have used the more communal bike lockers with a lot of traffic.

I used a bike locker at a Skytrain station near our house for my son. He would ride his bike to the station and then take transit to school. We never had a problem with his bike but when you look at the locker you couldn't tell if a bike was in there or not so perhaps that makes a difference.

Would be interested to hear the experience of people who have used the more communal bike lockers with a lot of traffic.
I've seen the bike lockers around Skytrain stations, but unfortunately, there are none where I work. They do seem safer than the communal bike garages, since it's only accessible by you, and you can't tell if there's anything inside. Are there security cameras around it? The bike garages do have security cameras, but anyone can see inside and if you have a Compass Card, and register with a fake name, you can probably access the garage. Not sure how patrolled the garage is.

Back