Bike carrier-roof vs hitch

Suhail

Hi all,
I need to buy a bike carrier for up to 4 bikes. The rack needs to be able to hold my Emotion 650B and Stromer ST2 as well as my sons bikes. I don't quite like the idea of putting a hitch on my car and I would prefer a roof rack. Would love your input on roof racks esp. I have looked at the Kuat NV carrier for hitch and if I were to get a hitch, that's the one I would probably go with. I have a nice car and that's why I'm a little reluctant on the hitch.
Thanks!

I was not aware a roof rack could handle this much weight . I certainly could not load a bike up there on a regular basis. What ever clamps your bike in place make sure your bike fenders are out of the way if you have them. A bike rack is not something to take a short cut on. Losing your bikes would be bad enough , causing a major accident even worse

I was not aware a roof rack could handle this much weight . I certainly could not load a bike up there on a regular basis. What ever clamps your bike in place make sure your bike fenders are out of the way if you have them. A bike rack is not something to take a short cut on. Losing your bikes would be bad enough , causing a major accident even worse
You may be right-I'm not sure if roof racks can support the bikes in which case, I would get a hitch installed.

Hi all,
I need to buy a bike carrier for up to 4 bikes. The rack needs to be able to hold my Emotion 650B and Stromer ST2 as well as my sons bikes. I don't quite like the idea of putting a hitch on my car and I would prefer a roof rack. Would love your input on roof racks esp. I have looked at the Kuat NV carrier for hitch and if I were to get a hitch, that's the one I would probably go with. I have a nice car and that's why I'm a little reluctant on the hitch.
Thanks!

1. Loading your ST2 on the roof rack is going to be a big PIA.
  2. Bikes on the roof racks are exposed to elements much more than those which trail behind
  3. Roof racks are not practical for frequent usage unless you have carbon roadbikes where everything is quick release.
Kuat NV is one of the best racks available for loading E-bikes and the built-in bike stand is a very clever idea.

Actually, one another thing that is worth looking into is motorcycle-like trailer that are built for E-bikes.
We sold one to a customer that wanted to carry a E-trike. Something worth looking into.

motorcycle trailer for eBikes.JPG

1. Loading your ST2 on the roof rack is going to be a big PIA.
  2. Bikes on the roof racks are exposed to elements much more than those which trail behind
  3. Roof racks are not practical for frequent usage unless you have carbon roadbikes where everything is quick release.
Kuat NV is one of the best racks available for loading E-bikes and the built-in bike stand is a very clever idea.

Actually, one another thing that is worth looking into is motorcycle-like trailer that are built for E-bikes.
We sold one to a customer that wanted to carry a E-trike. Something worth looking into.

View attachment 6007
Cool trailer! I think a kuat NV is the way to go. Thank Ravi!

Back