Bike Boom Redux

And once more, the expensive version of a crystal ball ...

Deloitte (Accounting & Consultinng) ...says it expects "130 million e-bikes to be sold globally between 2020 and 2023". They also noted that “the number of e-bikes on the roads will easily outpace other e-vehicles by the end of next year.”

E bikes are becoming more popular with younger riders. I live in Montgomery County, MD, a somewhat affluent suburb of DC. Recently I have seen lots of parents in 30-40 's on e bikes, some with small children on the back. I have also seen some hauling groceries. For our area, if you take mass transit into the City it is expensive and parking a car downtown is both expensive and difficult. With an e bike you can forgo the cost and hassle of taking a bus to metro (subway), and park your bike for free. They also have bike lockers at the metro I think. If you take your car to metro it is $8-10 to park per day and if you don't get there early there is no parking. Many people could forgo the mass transit entirely and take their e bike. Most roads are not high speed and it is not very hilly. There are also trails in and out of the City and dedicated bike lanes. Most commercial and Federal building have free parking in the parking garage that is monitored and guarded 24 hours a day. Young people like my 17 year old son and 21 year old daughter also like e bikes. I would rather my son take his e bike to school than ride the school bus. E bike renting is also popular here.

E bikes are becoming more popular with younger riders. I live in Montgomery County, MD, a somewhat affluent suburb of DC. Recently I have seen lots of parents in 30-40 's on e bikes, some with small children on the back. I have also seen some hauling groceries. For our area, if you take mass transit into the City it is expensive and parking a car downtown is both expensive and difficult. With an e bike you can forgo the cost and hassle of taking a bus to metro (subway), and park your bike for free. They also have bike lockers at the metro I think. If you take your car to metro it is $8-10 to park per day and if you don't get there early there is no parking. Many people could forgo the mass transit entirely and take their e bike. Most roads are not high speed and it is not very hilly. There are also trails in and out of the City and dedicated bike lanes. Most commercial and Federal building have free parking in the parking garage that is monitored and guarded 24 hours a day. Young people like my 17 year old son and 21 year old daughter also like e bikes. I would rather my son take his e bike to school than ride the school bus. E bike renting is also popular here.
Checks some boxes for ebikes: affluent suburb, expensive city parking, mild weather, flat trails and bike lanes. Yeah, the infrastructure matters a lot. And DC traffic is awfull. ;)

I agree, and keep in mind that the affluent who get bored with their new EBikes will provide a good source of pre-owned inventory to the fixed income folks. Win-Win 😉
I was searching Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for ideas on ebikes since before the pandemic hit people’s consciousness, just to see what was available.

It may just be the difference between winter and summer, but the number of both low end and high end used e bikes available has exploded in the last 8 months.

Last edited:
I havent searched for used ebikes but the used conventional bike market seems strong ; there is a thread here
Used is the new New for awhile.

This demand has built up even BC (before Covid), and what ever the lbs can get for Christmas season looks pretty bleak.:(

Bump. Black Friday's gone, Cyber Monday's almost over, and I haven't been in a LBS in months. What are things looking like now ? Reading threads here on EBR, it looks like DTC deliveries just keep getting pushed further and further back. Like months, not weeks. Still lots of demand? Ebikes in stock?

IMO, eBikes hit the key aspect of a bike. You can travel a greater distance and carry more with less effort. In these measures,

Before: Bike vs Walk/Car,
Now: eBike vs. Walk/Bike/Car.

For 70's Bike vs. Walk/Car and it lost to Walk and Car. eBike wins over Walk/Bike and sometimes Car too.

Exercise is a common benefit throughout that Bike and Walk had. Most of the other factors, green, etc., are not as much as an influence.

Lastly, look what one does on a bike now. Compare the 2019 Whistler MTB event to what people did in the 70's. Great Divide ride in 1970? In the late 70 I did touring on a (sew-ups) tubular tire road bikes and cleats. There were only two pannier options and a Blackburn rack. Now.....

Last edited:
Bump. Black Friday's gone, Cyber Monday's almost over, and I haven't been in a LBS in months. What are things looking like now ? Reading threads here on EBR, it looks like DTC deliveries just keep getting pushed further and further back. Like months, not weeks. Still lots of demand? Ebikes in stock?
Agreed : The most awesome Bike on the planet means nothing if you can't get it > Maybe wait for the Build Back Better Great Reset ?? Then you won't have to purchase an E-bike : You'll get it Free ?? If you are one of the 500 Million allowed to exist : By this time next year you'll likely be required to take the Vaccine to qualify to purchase anyway . LOL :) Guess I shouldn't make fun of reality ;)

Our local Giant dealer has a few ebikes in stock, pedal-bikes coming in as well. Pretty good selection for someone wanting one, but not a wide selection, and factory orders are WAY SLOW, projected special order deliveries into next spring.

Thinking about a STANCE E+2 for the wife - she wants to do some light dirt paths with me and her Amiti just isn't the right tool.
They'll still give me a 'loyal-customer discount'. Whoot!

FLY Ride Made a Youtube Video Just a few days ago, Showing Which EMTB's they have or can get ASAP Sadly Politians and The Meda have made people so delusional and Fearful of nothing . I don't see availability Issues clearing up for quite awhile '

Last edited by a moderator:
My LBS has just restocked a lot of Specialized Ebikes... both road and mountain. ;)
The large inventory may be related to their relationship with the Specialized HQ just down the road.

1606848487109.png
1606848510033.png

Last edited:
I was positively surprised how well stocked the "Specialized Warsaw" showroom was when I rode up for my visit there. All models I could think of, many sizes (not all, of course).

You are correct that deliveries of some direct to consumer e bikes seemed slowed due to congestion at ports and large numbers of imported goods competing for shipping We ordered a new model e bike and it has been signicantly delayed. I think in part because it was a new model. Then delayed by difficulty getting bikes unloaded at congested LA port. Bikes are in warehouse now and expected to be recieved in next two weeks. I am ok with the delay. We have other e bikes to ride. I have heard other sellers including Lectric and Ride1up currently have stock on hand and shipping now is much faster than earlier in the year.

Since joining this forum a few weeks B.C.(Before Covid) I've seen conversations by many members about the current and future state of this bike boom.

Timpo, Byunbee, PDoz, Mr. Coffee, Mike's eBikes, FlatSix911, Ahicks, Jaxx, Ebiker01, Stefan Mikes and others I've missed are thinking hard about it. Me too ... when I can't sleep, anyway. So for you guys a link to a long but revelant Forbes piece.

TL/DR: History may not repeat, but it sure as h..l rhymes.
Indeed an interesting article. In the 7 months since it was published, little has changed. Even during the summer months when the virus infection rate declined slightly, the bike boom continued and is showing no signs of slowing down. I suspect the market will eventually saturate and sales will level off when everyone who wants an e-bike has one. However, that will be far into the future.

Indeed an interesting article. In the 7 months since it was published, little has changed. Even during the summer months when the virus infection rate declined slightly, the bike boom continued and is showing no signs of slowing down. I suspect the market will eventually saturate and sales will level off when everyone who wants an e-bike has one. However, that will be far into the future.

^^This. Ebike use is still not even close to widespread. In fact, regular folks are still just waking up to the idea, they're still selling like hotcakes.

Nationwide, Bike Sales still up in spite of supply issues.

As folks are seeing more ebikes on/off trail, the questions and level of interest is increasing. People have preconceived notions of ebikes, but once they see them up close, and perhaps ride one, they realize they resemble an actual bike much more so then an electric bike; exceptions of course. This draws a ton of interest, and some end up buying one.

For others, the PAS and Throttle+PAS ebikes, is a huge plus and removes a large hurdle that has once prevented them from getting into biking, or back into biking after a break.

Thanks for sharing the article in Bicycle Retailer. The graph really tells the story since the Pandemic began in March 2020.

I would speculate that the number would be significantly higher had the global supply chain not been interrupted. ;)

So far this year the industry has imported 13.6 million bikes valued at $1.13 billion, compared to 11.4 million bikes valued at $1.0 billion in the same period last year.

1607892101713.png

It's been a year since I started this thread on a sleepless night wondering about the boom. I try to check the bike industry news to see how it's going. Still booming. Sorta.

Back