Bigger Tires for a Rad City?

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Considering something larger than stock. If you've been down this road, how big were you able to go? What brand?

Will 26x2.8's fit?

Edit: I'm looking for a hybrid/street tire, but interested in anything 26x2.3 and larger. If you've run a mountain bike tire would like to here about that too.

Last edited:
Not sure but I had a 29er mtn bike with somewhat wide stock tires. The front tire peeled off in a turn on dirt. Tire pressure was ok and no leak after the trail fix. They used somewhat skinny wheels with wider tires which can be sketchy, it looked cool but sketchy. I definitely would not run anything but stock or exact size on a heavy high speed ebike.

RE: "high speed" I can count on one hand the number of times I've hit 20mph in the last 6 months. My riding is generally much slower. From barely able to keep my balance on a hard packed single track to multi use trails mixing it up with people walking dogs and folks wandering from one side of the trail to the other, maybe 12mph?

Big (bigger) tire here is about a better ride more than anything else.

Thanks for that input though! -Al

Yeah, these city tires are hard and rough, have to stand up when I see a bump coming but I like not getting flats.

Slime took care of any anxiety I had regarding flats. That and the fact I'm currently using Schwalbe Marathons. Just looking for options.

I decided to roll the dice on a bigger tire, starting with the back because I figured if it fit there the front would be easy. I have been running 26x2 Marathons. Nice tires, very low rolling resistance, but they make the bike ride like a roller skate on a brick road. You can feel just about anything you can see. Not bad on nice pavement, but anything else gets old quickly. Anyway, went with another Schwalbe tire, they call it a Super Moto-X, and it's a 26x2.4" tire. I think it's a new one they just brought out recently. More of a balloon style than "moto" in my opinion. Fit perfectly, and rides much better. Noticeably better! I didn't notice much in the way of a difference in rolling resistance. I would NOT try running anything bigger on the back of a 'City. It clears, but not by much....

Yup, that's what I remember as well (26x2.3) but they were a semi knobby, noisy on pavement (buzzing), so they didn't last long before being replaced with the Marathons. -Al

Back