Bigger Riders on Lectric XP

mspatters2

This was my first ebike purchase. I did alot of checking around talking to people and calling LECTRIC Support ( this was the deciding factor for me- very responsive,polite and answered each question I asked).

Anyway, I am 6'2" 310 and was looking for a foldable ebike to take camping, riding around etc that wasn't an arm and a leg.

Most of the reviews you see are people that are 140-200lbs and of course they are going to get greater distances but that doesnt help me on the battery life question.

I got my bike yesterday, topped off the battery and took it for a spin. After about 15 miles of PAS 0-3 and of course throttle only over multiple types of terrain and some hills, I still had 1 bar over half battery left. And my average speed was 19mph and reached 22. More than I could have hoped for.

As time goes and less of me on the bike, I plan to improve on distance.

It is suredly not top end but it is also not the lower end. But for the price, the features, the customer service and the looks I feel I is one of the better bikes I researched. I am totally happy with my purchase and have recommended this bike to several friends.

I've been reading and reading and reading up on ebikes, my eyes are bleeding. I'm also up there in weight and was wondering about how it handles on regular paved roads.
Some things i've read about fat tyres talk about drag and rolling resistance. What's been your experience so far with those, if at all?
When you say "It is suredly not top end", what's not "top end" about it that stands out?
At over 63lbs, is the weight of any concern to you? I would be lugging this up and down stairs folded. (I got a chance to try out a 2018 Ariel Rider M-class, and oh la la that was a lightweight bike at 47lbs, but it's double the price !!)
That's all i have for now...

I've been reading and reading and reading up on ebikes, my eyes are bleeding. I'm also up there in weight and was wondering about how it handles on regular paved roads.
Some things i've read about fat tyres talk about drag and rolling resistance. What's been your experience so far with those, if at all?
When you say "It is suredly not top end", what's not "top end" about it that stands out?
At over 63lbs, is the weight of any concern to you? I would be lugging this up and down stairs folded. (I got a chance to try out a 2018 Ariel Rider M-class, and oh la la that was a lightweight bike at 47lbs, but it's double the price !!)
That's all i have for now...

No issue on paved roads...I dont find it too heavy. I put the tires at 26 psi

I have had my XP for several months now and was happy with it at first. I then realized that it does not do very well with hills, the seat was uncomfortable and it had no suspension other than airing the tires with lower pressure. The handlebars were to narrow for me and steering felt awkward. I started to tinker and make changes to the bike. I ordered a 5-inch rise handlebar this had the added perk of protecting the screen since it sat lower. The steering felt much better than before. I purchased a zoom post got a deal on Walmart.com $13. The seat I have been trying and returning them until my tender tush found an acceptable one a cloud 9 seems to be doing the job. The folding pedals had to go my feet kept slipping off and I had a hard time finding them while I was riding. Wider pedals did the trick and don't slip off.

The next thing that bothered me was the battery life. I am a big guy and I know that it won't help me get 50 miles on a single charge. I bought a 48v 20ah battery that I eventually found a nice battery bag to keep it in instead of the plastic ammo can. This was an amazing help I did 20 miles 1 way on the XP battery and got back with plenty to spare with the 2nd battery. I spent $ 180 and $13 for the bag and maybe $30 on nice connectors so it all was a tidy package in the controller cavity. The hill problem is my next issue to tackle. I ordered an 11-34T freewheel and socket and today I will install it. I will let you all know how that goes. There is another issue I have not resolved yet and Lectric seems not to care about it. I can not reach the 28mph mark again on the same bike trail I use. I was getting 28 with the throttle and other people have reported the same thing they claim you can only do that in pas 5 and I know that is not true.

I have had my XP for several months now and was happy with it at first. I then realized that it does not do very well with hills, the seat was uncomfortable and it had no suspension other than airing the tires with lower pressure. The handlebars were to narrow for me and steering felt awkward. I started to tinker and make changes to the bike. I ordered a 5-inch rise handlebar this had the added perk of protecting the screen since it sat lower. The steering felt much better than before. I purchased a zoom post got a deal on Walmart.com $13. The seat I have been trying and returning them until my tender tush found an acceptable one a cloud 9 seems to be doing the job. The folding pedals had to go my feet kept slipping off and I had a hard time finding them while I was riding. Wider pedals did the trick and don't slip off.

The next thing that bothered me was the battery life. I am a big guy and I know that it won't help me get 50 miles on a single charge. I bought a 48v 20ah battery that I eventually found a nice battery bag to keep it in instead of the plastic ammo can. This was an amazing help I did 20 miles 1 way on the XP battery and got back with plenty to spare with the 2nd battery. I spent $ 180 and $13 for the bag and maybe $30 on nice connectors so it all was a tidy package in the controller cavity. The hill problem is my next issue to tackle. I ordered an 11-34T freewheel and socket and today I will install it. I will let you all know how that goes. There is another issue I have not resolved yet and Lectric seems not to care about it. I can not reach the 28mph mark again on the same bike trail I use. I was getting 28 with the throttle and other people have reported the same thing they claim you can only do that in pas 5 and I know that is not true.
Hello, Question about the spare battery and bag. Do you have links to the products and was the spare battery aftermarket? Did the battery work as a direct replacement? no mods? Thanks,

Hello, Question about the spare battery and bag. Do you have links to the products and was the spare battery aftermarket? Did the battery work as a direct replacement? no mods? Thanks,
The battery was aftermarket I got both on eBay and the assorted connectors. It was actually very easy I connected a splitter to the XP connector and ran the wire through the hole under the frame and up to the battery bag. I have a 30 amp switch on order but in the meantime, I just plug it in and turn off the other battery.

The battery might not be the best quality I should have looked harder for better quality but it works and its a hassle to send back.

The battery was aftermarket I got both on eBay and the assorted connectors. It was actually very easy I connected a splitter to the XP connector and ran the wire through the hole under the frame and up to the battery bag. I have a 30 amp switch on order but in the meantime, I just plug it in and turn off the other battery.

The battery might not be the best quality I should have looked harder for better quality but it works and its a hassle to send back.
Question about the bag. This was just a holder for the bag right? I've seen some very specific anti-flame bags that will help contain a battery fire. Didn't see any info for that in the description.

Question about the bag. This was just a holder for the bag right? I've seen some very specific anti-flame bags that will help contain a battery fire. Didn't see any info for that in the description.
I don't know if it is anti flame there is some kind of padding in it. I guess it would be an interesting sight to see the back of the bike on fire. I did search high and low and this was the only bag I found that had the correct dimensions to fit that battery.

Update after 160 miles

I find that terrain, wind, and assist level play a big part.

On city bike trails with the normal up and downs - I actively adjust between 0-2 on PAS as needed. I try to keep as low as possible based on level and terrain : I get about 30 miles

In the mountains ( I am in CO).- Riding mountain trails with soft dirt, dirt roads, paved roads both flat and inclines: rotating from PAS 1-3 I find I get just over 20 miles. The folding design is great for camping. Folded , they fit perfectly in a 50 gallon Craftsman tote from Lowes. Add a medium Charbroil grill cover and a wratchet strap (to hold cover on while transporting and it is perfectly protected in the back of the truck while transporting. the cover also works to protect when unfolded from the elements.

Wind is a huge variable that seems like it mutliplies your use of power. Whenever its kicking up high I usually go a bit slower so I am not fighting it because the faster you go in those high speed winds the more your battery and motor is working.

Wind is a huge variable that seems like it mutliplies your use of power. Whenever its kicking up high I usually go a bit slower so I am not fighting it because the faster you go in those high speed winds the more your battery and motor is working.

I used to have some involvement with human-powered vehicles. and in a reference book "Bicycling Science",
it s stressed that on a bike, at even 20mph, air/wind resistance is 80-90% (...or some similar drastic %) of the total drag.
Slower is a heck of a lot more efficient! ;-)

Back