Big guy looking at CrossCurrent S

Burp

hi,

Big, tall, and ebike (and biking in general) novice here. I have been looking for an ebike for awhile to commute to work. I am trying to become more healthy/fit, beat the soul sucking traffic, and need some assistance doing so. I have made the commute a few times on a mountain bike previously, but want something that I can do regularly and with a little more speed.

I have been checking out bikes such as Stromer and a few Bosch powered bikes when I came across the CrossCurrent S. I see they are launching a larger frame (XXL out in September!) and an apparent frame weight limit of 350 lbs! Sounds like a unicorn, something that might actually fit me!

I will in fact need the XXL frame (above 6'4") and will be close to the maximum weight limit on the frame once I add my commuting and work gear.

My questions are:
Will I have any problem with the amount of weight on the tires? Should I upgrade the tires to something else?
Are there any other big riders that have used any Juiced bikes? What are your experiences with the bike?
Since I am bigger, should I upgrade the battery to allow for more power?
Anything else I need to know about the bike or the company would be beneficial.

Hello! i am not a big guy but i use to sell bikes to customers of many difference size so here is my two cents.

Size: I would find out the top tube length of your current bike (google for measurement) and compare that to with the frame spec of the XXL frame.

Tires: The tires should be just fine, but you are more than welcome to go bigger in the back since most of the weight is back there. Either way you would want to max out the air pressure when you ride just like you would with your current bike.

Other weight specific concern: Most of the time the suspension forks are not tuned for larger riders so you would heavier springs for the factory fork or go with a non suspension fork.

Battery range: The range really depends on your riding style and terrain. If you work with the bike and your route is pretty flat you would most likely to get 20-30 miles for your battery. But if you are climbing a lot of hills and you use the high assist settings then a bigger battery would be recommended.

Others: Is there local dealer near you so you can test ride? That would usually answer most of your questions.

I'm 6'7" and 240lbs and I had to modify parts considerably to fit a cross current XL. I replaced the stem with a 130mm version, swapped seat post for bodyfloat (25mm set back), I have brooks knockoff seat pushed back to the limit of the rails, and I've swapped the original cranks with 200mm version. Even with those mods the bike barely fits. I wish the XXL was available last year. After the first 3 months the original 7.8 Ah battery started to drain completely in sport mode during the last few miles of my 16 mile (one way) commute with lots of hills. I upgraded to the 10.3 Ah battery and riding a combination of Sport and Level 3 my range ~20 miles. I have a charger at work and one at home. I've had lots of issues with rear wheel spokes breaking which I think can be attributed to a poor wheel build and not necessarily my weight.

I think Haibike has some larger frames also. You're likely going to want a frame with and effective top tube length of 620mm +.

I'm 6'7" and 240lbs and I had to modify parts considerably to fit a cross current XL. I replaced the stem with a 130mm version, swapped seat post for bodyfloat (25mm set back), I have brooks knockoff seat pushed back to the limit of the rails, and I've swapped the original cranks with 200mm version. Even with those mods the bike barely fits. I wish the XXL was available last year. After the first 3 months the original 7.8 Ah battery started to drain completely in sport mode during the last few miles of my 16 mile (one way) commute with lots of hills. I upgraded to the 10.3 Ah battery and riding a combination of Sport and Level 3 my range ~20 miles. I have a charger at work and one at home. I've had lots of issues with rear wheel spokes breaking which I think can be attributed to a poor wheel build and not necessarily my weight.
I am much heavier than you and I am worried about the rear wheel spokes breaking. I am purchasing this to help aid my weight loss goals, but want to make sure I get a bike that will not break down on me, which it kind of seems that it might after reading your posts.

I bought a crosscurrent back in June to do the same thing you are now. Get back in shape by commuting to/from work. I'm 6'-0 and I got a large frame which is perfect for me. I don't know what my starting weight was, but back in March at the doc I weighed in at 285-290. This morning I was 255. My commute is about 17 miles each way and as I've gotten stronger, I decrease the assistance level to get more of a workout but still am able to get to/from work in an hour or so. With my backpack of work stuff and the 17.4ah battery, my bike was probably around 350 at the beginning. I've had some issues with the bike, mostly broken spokes. I've broken 3 or 4 since I bought it. But honestly, a broken spoke is pretty easy to fix yourself. I just zip tie it out of the way until I get home and then remove the wheel, tire/tube, and replace it. My mistake was going too long with a broken spoke while waiting on replacements from Juiced (I'm on the east coast) and then broke a second one. When a second one broke, it knocked my wheel out of true enough to rub the frame so I took it to the bike shop to have it re-trued. That costs $15. But i did find 230 mm 11 gauge spokes from the husky bicycles website and bought 50 of them for like $12 i think. I just replaced a spoke last night and changed it out with the 11 gauge. Eventually I'll respoke the whole wheel with them, but for now just replacing one at a time.

In all, this bike has been GREAT for me and getting back in shape. I could not have started commuting on a regular bike at this distance, at least not everyday. Just know that like any bike, there's going to be maintenance. And when you're putting 175 miles a week on a bike, that's a LOT more than normal. But all the maintenance is cheap compared to driving. I save $17 a day in parking and $60 a week in gas. It takes 45-60 min to drive each way so I'm only increasing my commute by 30 min/day and getting in two good workouts.

And lastly, none of my LBS carry Juiced so I'm definitely on my own. They carry specialized and stromer, but those were WAY outside my price range. Watch youtube videos, learn to be handy with your bike and go for it.

EDIT: Also, you should know that you need an 18mm OFFSET box end wrench (similar to this https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Point-Offset-Wrench-Spanner/dp/B0087ZU6DQ) to remove the nut on the rear tire with the power cord.

Last edited:
I bought a crosscurrent back in June to do the same thing you are now. Get back in shape by commuting to/from work. I'm 6'-0 and I got a large frame which is perfect for me. I don't know what my starting weight was, but back in March at the doc I weighed in at 285-290. This morning I was 255. My commute is about 17 miles each way and as I've gotten stronger, I decrease the assistance level to get more of a workout but still am able to get to/from work in an hour or so. With my backpack of work stuff and the 17.4ah battery, my bike was probably around 350 at the beginning. I've had some issues with the bike, mostly broken spokes. I've broken 3 or 4 since I bought it. But honestly, a broken spoke is pretty easy to fix yourself. I just zip tie it out of the way until I get home and then remove the wheel, tire/tube, and replace it. My mistake was going too long with a broken spoke while waiting on replacements from Juiced (I'm on the east coast) and then broke a second one. When a second one broke, it knocked my wheel out of true enough to rub the frame so I took it to the bike shop to have it re-trued. That costs $15. But i did find 230 mm 11 gauge spokes from the husky bicycles website and bought 50 of them for like $12 i think. I just replaced a spoke last night and changed it out with the 11 gauge. Eventually I'll respoke the whole wheel with them, but for now just replacing one at a time.

In all, this bike has been GREAT for me and getting back in shape. I could not have started commuting on a regular bike at this distance, at least not everyday. Just know that like any bike, there's going to be maintenance. And when you're putting 175 miles a week on a bike, that's a LOT more than normal. But all the maintenance is cheap compared to driving. I save $17 a day in parking and $60 a week in gas. It takes 45-60 min to drive each way so I'm only increasing my commute by 30 min/day and getting in two good workouts.

And lastly, none of my LBS carry Juiced so I'm definitely on my own. They carry specialized and stromer, but those were WAY outside my price range. Watch youtube videos, learn to be handy with your bike and go for it.

EDIT: Also, you should know that you need an 18mm OFFSET box end wrench (similar to this https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Point-Offset-Wrench-Spanner/dp/B0087ZU6DQ) to remove the nut on the rear tire with the power cord.
Thank you for this response. I am pretty much sold on buying this after your response, including the 11g spokes for the front wheel. I think we're in the same area, as I don't have a LBS that has these in stock either.

Congrats on losing so much weight, especially that quick with the bike. I hope to do the same thing as you are (commute with bike even though it may add 30-45 minutes to the commute). Any tips on losing the weight besides biking?

Burp, no major brand makes a bike for a 6'7" tall rider. Most weight limits are 250lbs for the rider but some can go to 300lbs and we have some customer with weights between 250-300lbs who ride with no problem. You will need an extra large frame 22" or larger and then some modifications from a local bike shop on handlebar and riser, seatpost, and perhaps tires. A good competent local bike shop should give you some specific guidance.

Thank you for this response. I am pretty much sold on buying this after your response, including the 11g spokes for the front wheel. I think we're in the same area, as I don't have a LBS that has these in stock either.

Congrats on losing so much weight, especially that quick with the bike. I hope to do the same thing as you are (commute with bike even though it may add 30-45 minutes to the commute). Any tips on losing the weight besides biking?

I'm no weight loss expert haha. I'm trying to keep changes to my lifestyle and small and gradual so I don't give up on anything. I'm trying to eat a little healthier (more lean meats, fruits, veggies, and less carbs/sugar) but for the most part, I'm eating the same or similar to before but trying to do a LOT better with portion control. If I tried to do a diet, I probably wouldn't stick to it and I do all the cooking in my house for my wife and small children (3 and 4).

Also, going back to your original post, for battery recommendation since I have the 17.4ah pack. When I started I was in sport mode the whole way and I brought my charger to work to charge at my desk because I had range anxiety but I never got to work or home with less then 60% (according to the display LEDs). When I dropped to level 3, I started leaving it at home and still do. I can do the full 35 mile round trip in level 3 (using sport mode for hills only) and still have 60-80% (again according to the display LEDs) when I get home. Going to work I have around 450 ft of elevation gain and 850 ft of gain on the way home according to strava. I average 15-17 mph with crossings, hills, etc. I honestly think I could do the full round trip in sport mode if I had to. So I'd recommend the 17.4 ah if your commute distance looks similar. Also, when the battery capacity starts to degrade, having the larger pack should mean that I still have enough even at 50% of the original capacity since by that time I should be able to cruise along in level 1 and save battery for hills and when the trail is less congested and I can safely open her up haha.

I'm no weight loss expert haha. I'm trying to keep changes to my lifestyle and small and gradual so I don't give up on anything. I'm trying to eat a little healthier (more lean meats, fruits, veggies, and less carbs/sugar) but for the most part, I'm eating the same or similar to before but trying to do a LOT better with portion control. If I tried to do a diet, I probably wouldn't stick to it and I do all the cooking in my house for my wife and small children (3 and 4).

Also, going back to your original post, for battery recommendation since I have the 17.4ah pack. When I started I was in sport mode the whole way and I brought my charger to work to charge at my desk because I had range anxiety but I never got to work or home with less then 60% (according to the display LEDs). When I dropped to level 3, I started leaving it at home and still do. I can do the full 35 mile round trip in level 3 (using sport mode for hills only) and still have 60-80% (again according to the display LEDs) when I get home. Going to work I have around 450 ft of elevation gain and 850 ft of gain on the way home according to strava. I average 15-17 mph with crossings, hills, etc. I honestly think I could do the full round trip in sport mode if I had to. So I'd recommend the 17.4 ah if your commute distance looks similar. Also, when the battery capacity starts to degrade, having the larger pack should mean that I still have enough even at 50% of the original capacity since by that time I should be able to cruise along in level 1 and save battery for hills and when the trail is less congested and I can safely open her up haha.

Thanks for yet again another insightful post. I have been debating what size pack (I think I have pre-range anxiety, I don't even have a bike yet!) and was expecting to buy a bigger battery any way.

When you + the bike weighed 350 lbs do you feel that you were at the max the bike could handle? I haven't weighed myself + gear +travel accessories and I know I'll be pushing the manufacturers weight limit. I think I'll be ok buy I am not sure.

I am in the same boat as you mentioned - similar distances and evevation to climb. When i order the bike I will plan to order the 11g spokes because I'm expecting to break a few due to amount of riding and weight.

Thanks for yet again another insightful post. I have been debating what size pack (I think I have pre-range anxiety, I don't even have a bike yet!) and was expecting to buy a bigger battery any way.

When you + the bike weighed 350 lbs do you feel that you were at the max the bike could handle? I haven't weighed myself + gear +travel accessories and I know I'll be pushing the manufacturers weight limit. I think I'll be ok buy I am not sure.

I am in the same boat as you mentioned - similar distances and evevation to climb. When i order the bike I will plan to order the 11g spokes because I'm expecting to break a few due to amount of riding and weight.

Honestly, the thought that I might be above any sort of weight limit never even crossed my mind. It probably should have. But no, I never felt like I was approaching what the bike could handle as far as weight goes. I've never weighed myself with my gear, but guessing I started around 285-290 with the larger battery pack so say an even 300, plus my backpack with I'd guess close to 30 lbs fully loaded with water, tools, clothes, etc. I've stopped on the way home and bought groceries which probably added another 20 lbs without issues. My advice would be, don't overthink it, engineers build in safety factors for a reason. If using the e-bike to commute is your motivation to get in shape and improve your life (like it is for me) then don't let the weight limit distract you from your goal. In my younger days I was big into jeeps and a motto from there that I still carry, is that things don't break, they just offer opportunity for upgrades (thus the 11 gauge spokes).

Other things you should get though, right off the bat, from my experience:
- spoke wrench (standard bike multi tools don't have the tool for 12 gauge (let alone 11) spokes. Ask me how I know . . .
- quality inner tubes, at least 3-4. I've gotten 2 flats so far, both from debris in the road but I was within a mile from home so I haven't had to do a trail change yet, just walked it home. I also carry a GAADI tube that is a bike tube that you don't need to remove the wheel for. If I do need to change it on the trail, I can always cut out the old tube and put that one in for the rear to get me home and put a regular tube in. I couldn't find it domestically, so I ordered it from some German bike website.
- 18 mm offset wrench (I stress this because I have a lot of tools, but didn't have this and had to make a special run to the autoparts store to get one)
- zip ties (every time you remove the rear wheel you have to cut off a zip tie that hold the wire connection so you'll need to replace it)
- brake pads and a brake bleed kit. I got my cross current refurbished and I don't know if they put new pads on it before sending it to me. I changed my pads in the rear at around 800 miles from when I got the bike.
- chain cleaner and chain lube (you should do it weekly for commuting)
- you can figure out clothes, bike shorts, helmet, gloves etc. haha But I will say that I didn't start with gloves but bought them on day 2.

EDIT: I just noticed in a previous replay, you mentioned the 11 gauge spokes for the FRONT wheel. I have not broken ANY spokes in the front, no issues there. It's the REAR wheel spokes that'll break because of the weight and the hub motor. Get the 230mm 11 gauge spokes for the rear wheel. You could probably use standard spokes for the front as there's not nearly as much weight there.

Last edited:
Great advice @NovaEbike

The Gaddi tubes can be purchased on Amazon.

GAADI Schrader Valve Tube, Black, 700/37-42 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB0R6M4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sZ2Izb2WDCQQ7

Schrader valve is more expensive than Presta. Not sure what the CC has.

The cable to the motor can be fixed to the frame with easily removable and reusable C clips. One of my bikes has the mounts for the clips as part of the frame. I liked them so much, I added them to my other bike. Really convenient, saves me having to carry a pair of wire cutters. I still carry zip ties, for whatever, just in case.

C clips and mounts:

Jagwire Alloy Stick-On Guides w/ C-Clips Black; Box/4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CK2LFE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_272Izb0AV26GW

Spare C clips:

digi-Hunter 10Pcs Bicycle C-Clips Buckle Cable Guides Brake Hose Housing Road Mountain Bike https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8RU53A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.82IzbWGHV5FQ

Last edited:
Honestly, the thought that I might be above any sort of weight limit never even crossed my mind. It probably should have. But no, I never felt like I was approaching what the bike could handle as far as weight goes. I've never weighed myself with my gear, but guessing I started around 285-290 with the larger battery pack so say an even 300, plus my backpack with I'd guess close to 30 lbs fully loaded with water, tools, clothes, etc. I've stopped on the way home and bought groceries which probably added another 20 lbs without issues. My advice would be, don't overthink it, engineers build in safety factors for a reason. If using the e-bike to commute is your motivation to get in shape and improve your life (like it is for me) then don't let the weight limit distract you from your goal. In my younger days I was big into jeeps and a motto from there that I still carry, is that things don't break, they just offer opportunity for upgrades (thus the 11 gauge spokes).

Other things you should get though, right off the bat, from my experience:
- spoke wrench (standard bike multi tools don't have the tool for 12 gauge (let alone 11) spokes. Ask me how I know . . .
- quality inner tubes, at least 3-4. I've gotten 2 flats so far, both from debris in the road but I was within a mile from home so I haven't had to do a trail change yet, just walked it home. I also carry a GAADI tube that is a bike tube that you don't need to remove the wheel for. If I do need to change it on the trail, I can always cut out the old tube and put that one in for the rear to get me home and put a regular tube in. I couldn't find it domestically, so I ordered it from some German bike website.
- 18 mm offset wrench (I stress this because I have a lot of tools, but didn't have this and had to make a special run to the autoparts store to get one)
- zip ties (every time you remove the rear wheel you have to cut off a zip tie that hold the wire connection so you'll need to replace it)
- brake pads and a brake bleed kit. I got my cross current refurbished and I don't know if they put new pads on it before sending it to me. I changed my pads in the rear at around 800 miles from when I got the bike.
- chain cleaner and chain lube (you should do it weekly for commuting)
- you can figure out clothes, bike shorts, helmet, gloves etc. haha But I will say that I didn't start with gloves but bought them on day 2.

EDIT: I just noticed in a previous replay, you mentioned the 11 gauge spokes for the FRONT wheel. I have not broken ANY spokes in the front, no issues there. It's the REAR wheel spokes that'll break because of the weight and the hub motor. Get the 230mm 11 gauge spokes for the rear wheel. You could probably use standard spokes for the front as there's not nearly as much weight there.
I can't say thank you enough for all of the information you have provided, motivation, and general knowledge that you have brought to light.

Looks like I'll be purchasing a CrossCurrent S in the next few weeks. I had this image in my head that I would get on the bike and I would immediately break a few spokes and pop a tire due to my size. Hopefully in a few months I'm not worried about pushing the weight limit on anything again!

The reason I mentioned the front wheel was because the length of the spoke seems to be different on the CrossCurrent S back wheel. I'll have to look into these measurements some more and maybe call a vendor or two before I purchase anything aftermarket.

Thanks again!

The CrossCurrent S is in, apparently they'll be shipping to us who pre-ordered soon. Can't wait to get mine!

Holy smokes.. to get one tube for my 700x40 tires, its 65 dollars... I will just call an uber black to take me and the bike home... lol.
You have to strike when the iron is hot! I got one for $7.98. Only down to 2 sellers, 1 shipping from Japan. A first class seat, I'd suspect.

Burp, your story is interesting. Please post again once you've gotten a bike and ridden it for a few weeks. Would love to read about your success.

If you're worried about flats, I'd suggest swapping your tires for Schwalbe Marathon plus. Very durable tires and great flat protection.

hi,

Big, tall, and ebike (and biking in general) novice here. I have been looking for an ebike for awhile to commute to work. I am trying to become more healthy/fit, beat the soul sucking traffic, and need some assistance doing so. I have made the commute a few times on a mountain bike previously, but want something that I can do regularly and with a little more speed.

I have been checking out bikes such as Stromer and a few Bosch powered bikes when I came across the CrossCurrent S. I see they are launching a larger frame (XXL out in September!) and an apparent frame weight limit of 350 lbs! Sounds like a unicorn, something that might actually fit me!

I will in fact need the XXL frame (above 6'4") and will be close to the maximum weight limit on the frame once I add my commuting and work gear.

My questions are:
Will I have any problem with the amount of weight on the tires? Should I upgrade the tires to something else?
Are there any other big riders that have used any Juiced bikes? What are your experiences with the bike?
Since I am bigger, should I upgrade the battery to allow for more power?
Anything else I need to know about the bike or the company would be beneficial.

Old thread, but if you have the same concerns, here's my take: When I first took an interest in the CCS in july. I weight #337.
I wanted something that would haul a bunch of stuff. With a #350 limit I was inspired to lose weight, kissed carbs & sugar
goodbye & began exercising like a fiend. It's now Christmas: I'm 80 pounds lighter, and I love my CCS
P.S. Tires have not been an issue, the stock Kendas perform well on asphalt. CCS is not
really an off road bike, but fine for 'moderate' trails. If I wanted something more substantial,
I'd go with 700/50 schwable mondials or regular marathons. The pluses just don't feel right
for me.

Last edited:
Back