Big Bud - The Good stuff

MLB

Got a chance to ride my new BB on the narrow sandy beaches of Lake Michigan by S.Haven and wow was that fun. Effortless over most terrain. Doesn't want to carry my 240lbs over deep sand (who would?) but did so when needed. Few times in deep loose sand or stones the front would start to wash out but never put me down. (2wd mode on the beach) Amazingly stable handling. I got it primarily for my gf to ride some easy offroad with me and I think it is perfect for her. Loose surfaces and wet leaves and such that are such a pain normally are usually not even noticed. Lot of fun.
It even climbed a VERY steep hill (hard to walk up) that my Haibike wouldn't quite get up, though it strained mightily and the front end was coming up on each pedal stroke as I worked as hard as I could to make it up and not have to stop! LOL
Very impressed with the ride (after seat swap). I've been loving my full suspension Haibike (was recumbent only the past 20 years until the Haibike made it rideable for me) and thought I probably wouldn't have anything not suspended form here on out (I'm 57), but the fatty tires really do an awfully nice job over the small bumps and jolts. no it's not suspension offroad when dropping off ledges and rocks, but for "midwest" type trails (dirt paths with some bumps and hills) it's just wonderful!
I do have to run it on assist level 2 to keep up with a comparable rider on the Haibike at level 1 (Eco) for street riding, but with the big low pressure tires that would seem a given. Also the front brake was dragging a fair bit and I didn't have tools and/or know how to adjust hydraulic brakes (no cell svs or internet) .
I usually run it in Eco (setup, not level) that starts with the rear hub and then switches to the front at some point. The front is smaller but also higher speed so it's more efficient at higher mph. Neat setup, looking forward to snow for a change. :)

MLB I am having fun with my BB as well since early spring. I have had it out in the mud and sand and like you hoping to ride it in some snow
I am also impressed with the all-wheel-drive features on this bike it is like a mini tank going through almost anything you can imagine riding it through
I put a body motion seat post on my stock seat. I have the body motion on my Stromer ST2 and enjoy it even more on this bike it's like riding a big Cadillac on the trails
Wish you continued fun on your Big Bud

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 397
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 409
Just getting back into biking after 10 year hiatus. Have had full suspension MB years ago. Probably will never ride aggressively enough again to really need full suspension (approaching 60 and 230 lbs) but considering Haibike Full Fatsix or EasyMotion Big Bud Pro for primarily dirt and gravel fire road type riding with long climbs commonplace in southern Ozark and Ouachita Mountains. Any input from you guys who have had the BBPro?

I've got both a haibike sduro sl and the easy motion evo snow...essentially non fat versions of the bikes you're considering. I think since your use is going to be more off road oriented, the haibike mud drive will serve you better, especially on the hills. Either bike will be very nice, just my 2 cents!

Even geared hub motors don't really like long slow climbs. If that is your terrain I'd think the mid drive (and full suspension!) would be the hot ticket.

Got a Haibike Full Fatsix this week. Thanks to all for opinions on the two. The BB drive system is really interesting and I may try to get one at some point. Thanks to all.

@jamie moore I went around with the same thoughts as you I believe, but I bought the Big Bud Pro a few months ago. Even though I've experienced some issues with it (though the retailer has been very helpful I must say), I'm still happy with my choice. I love the "push" the two hub motors give me no matter the gear I'm in, and the big bastard goes 30-32km/h on flat ground. :cool: I use it mostly for commuting, so I can't say too much about its off-road capabilities, but the little I have tested it in the woods it works like a charm. No fancy suspension here, but of course that would be nice to have I must say.

I agree that my BBP doesn't tackle long steep hills like my cargo bike with a Bosch Performance CX crank motor (which cuts the help at more or less exactly 25km/h), but for most people and their "daily hills" it's not a problem.

However, the Haibike looks really nice (better component quality on the Haibike I think) and I'm somewhat jealous of your choice, it looks like an awesome bike! Too bad these bikes are so d-mn expensive....:( (or that my wife isn't as "understanding" as I would wish :D) ..otherwise I would have them both :)

Back