Big and Tall rider and my new Evelo Delta

Grumplesnort

Hi, Evelo community.

I just purchased an Evelo Delta and am waiting for it to be assembled and delivered via VeloFix.

I have received fantastic service from Alex Stegemann at Evelo. He and I discussed the needs I have as a 6’3” 345lb guy who is looking to utilize an ebike to cruise and exercise.

Per Alex’s suggestion, I’ll be going with the Delta, adding a set of cruiser bars, the comfort package, a rear rack, Schwalbe Moto X tires, and full length fenders. He said that this is a bit outside of the box, and differs a bit as compared to the city package they have available through the website.

It works out to about the same price as the Delta X, except I get the added bonus of the Thudbuster seatpost and the Reba RL suspension fork instead of the integrated lights. As I am ok charging ever few dozen hours, I am going with the aftermarket lights Evelo offers as accessories.

I will update this post as I get updates, get the bike and take my first ride.

Excited.

-Phil

Update:
4/23 AM
- received invoice for customized Delta (per their suggestions for my built and intended use).
- placed order/paid

4/23 PM
- received tracking info for two packages, the bike and all accessories.
- received an email from Velofix outlining what to expect and encouraging me to reply with questions.
- sent in questions to Velofix
- received welcome email from Evelo CEO and asking if I’d share why I choose them.

4/24
- bike and accessories shipped
- bike will arrive at Velofix on 4/29.
- accessories will arrive at Velofix on 4/30.
- received email outlining things to do when bike arrives. Included links to manuals
- received reply to questions I sent Velofix regarding clarification on what to expect.
-received reply from velofix.

Here’s how it will work:

When bike arrives at local velofix, they will:
-check invoice, do inventory of parts
-inspect condition of bike, etc.
-assemble bike and install accessories

Once packages are in transit, velofix will call to schedule delivery ~3-6 days after they receive everything from Evelo

Velofix tech will deliver the bike to my home and they will:
- give me an overview of the bike
- adjust the height of bars, seat, etc.
- get me started on a test ride

The bike is scheduled to arrive at velofix on 4/28 and the accessories on 4/29. I suspect the next step will be the Velofix scheduling.

#excited

Hey Phil - I'm curious to see hear back you feel about the fit.

I am also at the tall end of the spectrum for the Delta X but am using stock handlebars and seat. I'd like to know how the handle bar change works out for you. I'm looking to be able to extend just a little bit more with both my hands and feet.

Let us know.

Hi @echristensen, your stock seatpost is 31.6 mm x 350 mm. While this works well for most people, it doesn't work for everyone. You might be better served by a longer post. You can get 400 mm posts easily, just be sure to get the 31.6 mm diameter. (and please don't ask my why the convention is to call that 31.6 mm instead of inch and a quarter)

https://www.jensonusa.com/Ritchey-Comp-Link-Alloy-Seatpost

That post would serve you well, though there are many other options. Watch the offset; you're going to want something around 20 mm of setback.

Start with the post and then see how you feel about the handlebar situation. For tall riders, I often suggest a high-rise handlebar to accompany the long seatpost. Your stock bars have about 1 1/2" of rise, and you can find bars with 3 or 4 inches. It's kinda hard to find them online, so that one is honestly easier to get at your local bike shop.

At any rate, proper fit is important for any bike and adjusting the cockpit is a normal part of getting a new bike dialed in to fit you. Feel free to call or email us if you need anything!

- David

Update: once the arrival dates were confirmed, Velofix worked with me to setup a delivery day/time that works.

My new bike will be delivered Saturday, May 4th at 12:30pm.

:) Phil

Hi @echristensen, your stock seatpost ....... Feel free to call or email us if you need anything!

- David

Thanks David. I've connected with Justin in your Seattle shop and he has invited me to come in to check the fit and a couple of other issues I've been having.

I discovered over the weekend that I had another 1/2" of lift in my stock post and that little bit has made a surprising amount of difference on leg extension. Now my body angle is a bit lower in the front and I'm giving it a couple of days to see how I like it (this bike is a daily commuter for me).

T-minus 3 days Phil!

Thanks David. I've connected with Justin in your Seattle shop and he has invited me to come in to check the fit and a couple of other issues I've been having.

I discovered over the weekend that I had another 1/2" of lift in my stock post and that little bit has made a surprising amount of difference on leg extension. Now my body angle is a bit lower in the front and I'm giving it a couple of days to see how I like it (this bike is a daily commuter for me).

T-minus 3 days Phil!

Yep, I heard from Velofix today that they received the bike and accessories without issue and we are on track for Saturday!

Phil - how is the thudbuster seatpost and the cloud 9 seat working for you? I was looking at that but according to the Crane Creek site the thudbuster is only rated to 250 pounds. That made me a little nervous.

Sounds like you got a nice bike!

Back