Bicycle style e-bike with passenger option

Jordie

Hi guys,

I've been a happy Pedego ebike owner for the past couple years, but the one extra feature I'd love to have is the ability to put carry a passenger. It almost makes me want to get an e-scooter, but I just don't like that style as much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an E-Bike that can carry full sized passenger and cost sub $3000. I know Pedego has a tandem, but it's big. I would just love a back rack sturdy enough to hold a grown up.

Thanks all!

Love the ODK. Spoke with the president of the company the other day, and hopefully they'll have some foot pegs/rests coming out for it soon (right now, it's not super easy on the legs of passengers). The Yuba El Mundo is the most comfortable ride for adult riders, but more difficult to control than the ODK or edgerunner (though still not too bad for an experienced rider).

Most of this stuff is just a cargo bike like the big dummy with a bionx or falco kit. So you can mix and match as you like.

One thing I worry about with these is moving them by car. Is there a rack that can hold them?

i do it but I cringe. I remove the battery before the bikes go onto a roof rack. I don't remember the models but on rack is Yakima , good for fenderless bikec (Turbo) and the other is Ohno good for bike with fenders (stromer)

The Yuba El Mundo is the most comfortable ride for adult riders, but more difficult to control than the ODK or edgerunner (though still not too bad for an experienced rider).
I like the new Yuba El Mundo design with BionX and have a short review here along with a link to the older model if you find that one on sale. The newer one has a removable battery and the motor in the rear which is ideal if you're transporting cargo or a passenger.

Chandlee is right on with the Big Dummy suggestion... @Chris Nolte from Long Island Electric Bikes used this with an 8Fun BBS01 mid-drive motor to create a cool bike and we tested it with multiple passengers which held up very well... video below:

That Bruhaul is really cool. What do they give as a load (weight) limit for the motor?

Are these cargo bikes geared lower or is the motor working that much harder?
Direct drive hub motor (Falco, Bionx) would be sucking a lot of amps and getting hot. Falco starts shutting down for heat in pretty short order under load. 8-10 miles of flat, upper teen riding for me on Level 1 or 2 (lowest) power settings. It wouldn't like a passenger.

@MLB, no problems yet with passengers and overheating on hills and we've done some large ones. That said, I'm thinking of adding a larger cassette to the rear for some of our more epic climbs with passengers (really, really steep stuff). Felt says 200 lbs. rear cargo, 400 total.

Also, carrying loads with my D-series has never caused overheating, however, it can seriously sap the battery carrying loads in the mountains.

Last edited:
The mid drive is perfect, leveraging the motors power with gearing.
400 lb limit is eye opening! I wondered if we were maxing out these little motors if we are on the larger size (i'm 220lbs), good to hear that's not the case. :)

Back