BH vs Norco

ruffruff

A LBS has the Norco VLT3 on sale for $4999.
For some reason I have a really bad itch to get it.
But in the back of my mind I keep asking this question:

Currently have a BH Rebel 27.5 lite. It's weird because I think it's a mutt. It has the PW-se motor with the PW-x display. 2.8 wide tires and a couple other things(good) things that aren't listed on the stock specs.

Long story short, and these are just rough numbers...Am I really getting 3K more of a bike going with the Norco?
I haven't seen it in person or rode it, but I think it's a carbon frame, so it for sure will be lighter than my BH but still,
Is it worth a $3k upgrade?

FYI I like my BH no real compalints. Love the yamaha motor the Norco will have Shimano STEPS7000

LBS has the Norco VLT3 on sale for $4999.

$5K on a previous gen motor (E7000) is not worth it.
Shimano will be releasing their E9000 series motor soon and it is expected to offer some improvements over the E8000.

Right now, it is seller's market but once the COVID situation clears out, there will be a ton of used bikes on the market.

Man, did a 10 mile loop today on the BH. I just don't know what $3k is going to get me over the BH?
It's a great riding bike!

Dang money burning a hole in my pocket!

Currently have a BH Rebel 27.5 lite. It's weird because I think it's a mutt. It has the PW-se motor with the PW-x display. 2.8 wide tires and a couple other things(good) things that aren't listed on the stock specs.

Long story short, and these are just rough numbers...Am I really getting 3K more of a bike going with the Norco?
I haven't seen it in person or rode it, but I think it's a carbon frame, so it for sure will be lighter than my BH but still,
I believe you either saw Norco's Sight VLT C3 or Range VLT C3 at your local shop. Both bikes list at $5400, so $5k is a 7.4% savings.

Whether it's worth $5k to you might depend on how you intend to ride the bike and how dependent you are on shop service. Do you want to ride rough trails? Do you do your own maintenance and repair?

Norco's Sight VLT C3 and Range VLT C3 are "real" eMTBs, with much sturdier wheels, suspension and other components than the Rebel Lite. A friend of mine quickly disintegrated the front wheel and shock on his Rebel Lite riding it on semi-technical terrain this Spring (even though I warned him against it!).

If you do your own bike servicing and want a serious offroad ebike, however, $5k (or less) will get you a better eMTB than either VLT from consumer-direct companies like Commencal, YT Industries, or Canyon.

And as I understand it, the VLT C3's e7000 motor is an alternative to Shimano's "newer" offerings; I believe it was introduced after the e8000 as a lighter, less expensive and (slightly) lower-torque option, and will continue to be used by brands on new models. The new series will likely only be featured on higher-end eMTBs (over $5k), at least for the next year or so.

I believe you either saw Norco's Sight VLT C3 or Range VLT C3 at your local shop. Both bikes list at $5400, so $5k is a 7.4% savings.

Whether it's worth $5k to you might depend on how you intend to ride the bike and how dependent you are on shop service. Do you want to ride rough trails? Do you do your own maintenance and repair?

Norco's Sight VLT C3 and Range VLT C3 are "real" eMTBs, with much sturdier wheels, suspension and other components than the Rebel Lite. A friend of mine quickly disintegrated the front wheel and shock on his Rebel Lite riding it on semi-technical terrain this Spring (even though I warned him against it!).

If you do your own bike servicing and want a serious offroad ebike, however, $5k (or less) will get you a better eMTB than either VLT from consumer-direct companies like Commencal, YT Industries, or Canyon.

And as I understand it, the VLT C3's e7000 motor is an alternative to Shimano's "newer" offerings; I believe it was introduced after the e8000 as a lighter, less expensive and (slightly) lower-torque option, and will continue to be used by brands on new models. The new series will likely only be featured on higher-end eMTBs (over $5k), at least for the next year or so.

OP has Rebel Lynx Lite with full suspension design, not the hardtail Rebel lite.
Rebel Lynx Lite is a very nice eMTB (not for 5ft drops) but more than adequate for trail rides.

$5K on a previous gen motor (E7000) is not worth it.

Shimano will be releasing their E9000 series motor soon and it is expected to offer some improvements over the E8000.

Right now, it is seller's market but once the COVID situation clears out, there will be a ton of used bikes on the market.

Interesting news... can you share any details on the new Shimano E9000 mid-drive?

OP has Rebel Lynx Lite with full suspension design, not the hardtail Rebel lite.
Rebel Lynx Lite is a very nice eMTB (not for 5ft drops) but more than adequate for trail rides.
You are correct, full suspension.

Ya, I'm 60+ I don't see 5ft drops in my future. 2ft maybe. ;)

Currently have a BH Rebel 27.5 lite. It's weird because I think it's a mutt. It has the PW-se motor with the PW-x display.
2.8 wide tires and a couple of other things(good) things that aren't listed on the stock specs.

Keep you BH Rebel... I have two BH Bikes and they are excellent with the proven Yamaha mid-drive.

I ride them hard on technical single track and have had absolutely no issues... knock on wood! ;)

Interesting news... can you share any details on the new Shimano E9000 mid-drive?

I have just seen some teaser info from a Shimano rep.
I don't have a lot of information but I expect them to release soon.

E8000 is an excellent motor but it is 3+ yrs old at this time and Shimano wants to maintain the market share, so I am also looking forward to their new drive system.

Keep you BH Rebel... I have two BH Bikes and they are excellent with the proven Yamaha mid-drive.

I ride them hard on technical single track and have had absolutely no issues... knock on wood! ;)
I ride some Mn black diamonds, which is probably green everywhere else! And I take the B line.

But I'm a fat arse and hard on bikes!
I think I'll just ride my BH into the ground!

Even if I sold it, not sure if I could get another bike at this stage, lots of great riding weather to go before winter hits! Hate to sell it then be bikeless for a month!

The bike rule is N+1! Why not try something truly different and pick up the bikes direct bafang m600 mid-drive they have on pre-order? You can keep both, or decide which one you like better! While I don't have an electric bike from bikes direct, my fat bike is solid quality, and it is all name-brand components (not to mention bafang is one of the largest ebike motor manfacturers and a pretty solid option).

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...s-hal-eboost-m600-electric-mountain-bikes.htm

The bike rule is N+1! Why not try something truly different and pick up the bikes direct bafang m600 mid-drive they have on pre-order? You can keep both, or decide which one you like better!
While I don't have an electric bike from bikes direct, my fat bike is solid quality, and it is all name-brand components (not to mention bafang is one of the largest ebike motor manfacturers and a pretty solid option).

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...s-hal-eboost-m600-electric-mountain-bikes.htm

I was goijng to suggest the same model BD Bafang M600 bike... a very nice ride and a great value. ;)

1597897348813.png

I feel like the Motobecane is a lateral move?

I originally thought I really wanted a Giant Trance. I'm leaning that way again strictly based on the Yamaha motor.

I feel like the Motobecane is a lateral move?

I originally thought I really wanted a Giant Trance. I'm leaning that way again strictly based on the Yamaha motor.

I tend to think about a bike as the sum of its parts. My 1st ebike was an easy motion back in 2013...one of the 320wh models with the curved downtube battery - an integrated battery was a revolution back then (and 320wh was too!). A week or two after I'd purchased it at a 'demo discount' price, I talked to the mechanic in the shop - he said he was a car mechanic and learned how to fix the bikes from youtube (that was the end of my reliance/allegiance to any particular brand, and the local shop!).

Where was I going...oh yeah, I was thinking wouldn't a Giant Trance literally be basically the same bike with some different components in a slightly prettier shell? They are even yamaha motors, you're just going to get the same ride experience! That motobecane with the M600 would be a LOT more interesting and fun - way more torque and a higher top speed, and at a price lower than both the Giant and Norco offerings...and likely built with the same/similar (or it wouldn't surprise me better) other suspension/drivetrain components.

From what I've read, you can expect a more traditional bike riding experience with a shimano motor (similar to the brose motors, which I like - I've had a yamaha bike and the instant torque was definitely fun too!) - so shimano is going in a more natural ride feel, and the motobecane is going the other way. The Giant would most likely be similar to what you already have.

That is why the motobecane seems like a better choice - something substantively different - if you want to go the other direction, why not try out some of the gravel bike options that are making their way into the market? Yamaha has a few now, if you can find the BH one they look nice, Cannondale has some as well.

I tend to think about a bike as the sum of its parts. My 1st ebike was an easy motion back in 2013...one of the 320wh models with the curved downtube battery - an integrated battery was a revolution back then (and 320wh was too!). A week or two after I'd purchased it at a 'demo discount' price, I talked to the mechanic in the shop - he said he was a car mechanic and learned how to fix the bikes from youtube (that was the end of my reliance/allegiance to any particular brand, and the local shop!).

Where was I going...oh yeah, I was thinking wouldn't a Giant Trance literally be basically the same bike with some different components in a slightly prettier shell? They are even yamaha motors, you're just going to get the same ride experience! That motobecane with the M600 would be a LOT more interesting and fun - way more torque and a higher top speed, and at a price lower than both the Giant and Norco offerings...and likely built with the same/similar (or it wouldn't surprise me better) other suspension/drivetrain components.

From what I've read, you can expect a more traditional bike riding experience with a shimano motor (similar to the brose motors, which I like - I've had a yamaha bike and the instant torque was definitely fun too!) - so shimano is going in a more natural ride feel, and the motobecane is going the other way. The Giant would most likely be similar to what you already have. That is why the motobecane seems like a better choice - something substantively different - if you want to go the other direction, why not try out some of the gravel bike options that are making their way into the market? Yamaha has a few now, if you can find the BH one they look nice, Cannondale has some as well.

Interesting assessment! I agree with a lot of what you said about the differences between Yamaha and Shimano motors... and I own both.

Regarding trying something different, I am considering the BD Moto Gravel Bike as my next ride with the superlight and fast Bafang M800.

A Class 3 bike that will support 28 Mph and weighs less than 34 lbs for $2,399... a pretty compelling combination that seems hard to beat. ;)

1597979576841.png

I dunno, I think it's just cabin fever and money burning a hole in my pocket.
I'm not looking to go faster.
I essentially ride single track. The only thing speed will give ME is a harder hit on a tree! :eek:

I'm still enjoy every minute on the BH.
PX, I tend to agree with a lot you say, even that the Trance is probably just a prettier package.

I might go a TOTALLY different route and scratch my cabin fever itch with a new bow!
I made the mistake of fondling one of these last week!
1598021715193.png

Last edited:
Back