Better safe than sorry... what's your ride kit look like?

antboy

I'm just curious as to how much "stuff" people pack when they ride. I'm usually doing 30-40km rides, and like to be prepared. At least a small portion of each ride is on gravel/dirt trails, and sometimes we discover some gnarly side trails that just need to be explored.

Everything below goes with me on every ride other than a quick grocery run. Just about everything in the kit except the tea light has been used at least once, often more...

All this...

kit-packed2.jpg

Fits into...

kit-packed.jpg

Garneau 16L City trunk bag (10L with dual 3L panniers built in and removable strap)
-insulated
-Racktime Snapit adapter added for quick release

First aid kit
-gauze pads, roll, and tape
-various bandages
-antiseptic wipes
-sting relief wipes
-low dose ASA for pain and my peace of mind (post angioplasty)

Stupid covid mask, though I often have a gaiter on gnat-infested riverside trails.

Tea light and wooden matches

Emergency poncho
Lighter
KMC missing links
Standard multi tool
adjustable wrench
Tire patch kit

Topeak Survival toolbox
-tire irons, duplicate allen keys, chain breaker

Hair elastics (might not be in the photo)
-I had to use one once to temporarily secure my shifter to the handlebars about 25 years ago. I now have a couple, just in case. Elastic bands would work too.

Mini air pump

CO2 air nozzle and cartridge

Thin steel cable (usually used with a lock for seat)

2ft x 1" hook and loop strap

2 x Hiplok Ziploks
- I know these aren't great security. Good for emergencies, either linked together, or one around the battery... they'll wrap around the downtube battery tight enough to make it difficult to get snips between them.

A stack of metal cash - loonies, toonies and quarters
- you never know when you need cash, and the car wash in my building takes toonies in case the bikes need a last minute cleaning.
- quarters for one of the grocery stores we often stop off at last minute after a ride... their carts use coins to unlock... so dumb

Duco cycling glasses (multiple lenses not shown)

"Do or Die" bag, which holds everything except the pump, cables/straps, glasses and poncho, and doesn't rattle over bumps.

This may seem like overkill, but as I mentioned above, just about everything has been used more than once...

I've stopped to help other cyclists who didn't have the right tools (or a first aid kit) multiple times.

August was a busy month for the kit. I was able to give a missing link to a fellow cyclist whose chain broke, so she was able to ride away. That's why my KMC missing links are new.

The wrench came in handy as a dude's rear wheel became loose on his mountain bike, so the tire was pressing hard on the chainstay. The wrench was able to get him and his friends riding pronto.

Most importantly, we were on a ride when my friend took a nasty spill on her fat tire bike... a hill too far, so to speak. She opened up her elbow to the bone, requiring double stitches. The antiseptic wipes and the gauze meant we were able to staunch the bleeding, and ride home before going to the hospital.

Side note about the "Do or Die" bag - I got this as swag from the Gears of War 3 media launch in 2011, back when I ran a tech/geek website and web series. It came with the matches, tea light, first aid kit, and emergency poncho.

I recently found out that my co-worker (also an avid cyclist) designed the art on that bag.

When I ride I always bring a mini pump, multi tool, tire patch, tire levers, chain link, and a folding lock. I manage to squeeze them all in a container that looks like a water bottle. I recently had a flat and was glad I had everything I needed.

Photo Oct 08, 12 50 12 PM.jpeg
Photo Oct 08, 12 49 17 PM.jpeg

Attachments

• Photo Oct 08, 12 49 17 PM.jpeg
    Photo Oct 08, 12 49 17 PM.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 339
  • Photo Oct 08, 12 50 12 PM.jpeg
    Photo Oct 08, 12 50 12 PM.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 347
My basic ride is just over 26 miles and all I’m carrying are a small basic Wotow tool cluster, a mini pump, a patch kit, and a spare tube. Since this route is near a highway, I’d probably just call my SO to come get me and I’d fix it at home. With a beer at my side.😎🍺
F0418A62-DE03-410F-819E-D08400ACC14F.jpeg

My SO has a compact car that won't carry a bike. So . . .
I have a pink plaid kid's school pencil box (metal) full of tools that will do most things. 8,9,10,15,17,18 mm 7/16,1/2,9/16,3/4 wrenches, 2 6" crescent wrench, 2.5,3,4,5,6 mm allen wrenches, slip joint & chanllock plier. 2 Straight (for tires) & 1 phillips screwdrivers. No chain breaker or link, the hub motor will drag me home if chain messes up. Sharpie for writing. Nytek gloves to keep grease off. An air pump, 2 tubes, a bottle of 2 kinds NSAID pill for knee + 2 kinds of antihistamine (nose dryers) plus another pill bottle of 1 screw & nut of each type and some balls for the axles if one comes unscrewed. (30 mile walk if the axle drops the balls: I've pushed it 4 when it did). 3/8" SS 6' sling + lock for parking. A light jacket and a full yellow rain poncho. Unused sunglass or clear safety glasses to always be protected from dump truck rocks. Another water bottle for summer, one rides in the cup holder. 3M M95 mask in a plastic container for shopping. Pants pockets always have wallet, comb, facial tissue, change, phone, keyring on dog leash to belt.

Last edited:
My SO has a compact car that won't carry a bike. So . . .
I have a pink plaid kid's school pencil box (metal) full of tools that will do most things. 8,9,10,15,17,18 mm 7/16,1/2,9/16,3/4 wrenches, 2 6" crescent wrench, 2.5,3,4,5,6 mm allen wrenches, slip joint & chanllock plier. 2 Straight (for tires) & 1 phillips screwdrivers. No chain breaker or link, the hub motor will drag me home if chain messes up. Sharpie for writing. Nytek gloves to keep grease off. An air pump, 2 tubes, a bottle of 2 kinds NSAID pill for knee + 2 kinds of antihistamine (nose dryers) plus another pill bottle of 1 screw & nut of each type and some balls for the axles if one comes unscrewed. (30 mile walk if the axle drops the balls: I've pushed it 4 when it did). 3/8" SS 6' sling + lock for parking. A light jacket and a full yellow rain poncho. Unused sunglass or clear safety glasses to always be protected from dump truck rocks. Another water bottle for summer, one rides in the cup holder. 3M M95 mask in a plastic container for shopping. Pants pockets always have wallet, comb, facial tissue, change, phone, keyring on dog leash to belt.
😳wow...you win!😎👍
I'm sure as I get doing longer and more involved rides during more iffy weather, I’ll get a very full set of panniers.

A set of Allen keys, mini-pump, chain-tool, several spare chain links, spare chain pins, a powerbank, and some extra clothes; water bottles and snacks. Sometimes a spare battery for a really long ride (takes the second pannier to not overload a single one).

This was a great thread and one day when my bike finally arrives I'll do my part and add to this thread. You all have given good ideas that will surely prove valuable when the time comes 👍

adjustable wrench
Does your e-bike include any part requiring it? I have noticed my mid-drive motor e-bikes have no single part requiring that. The hub-drive one might require a 18 mm wrench for removing the rear wheel but I rarely ride in areas that are very far from civilisation...

Tools: multitool, minipump w patches and tire pry bar, chain tool w links, zip ties, 2 bungie cords, small microfiber towel

safety: first aid kit w bandages, alcohol wipes, antiseptic spray; spare covid mask; 2 pair nitrile gloves in a ziplock; emergency paper money

commute: change of clothes for work, work ID, lunch, extra layer or jacket

Edited to add: small leatherman tool for its pliers and blade.

Last edited:
Does your e-bike include any part requiring it? I have noticed my mid-drive motor e-bikes have no single part requiring that. The hub-drive one might require a 18 mm wrench for removing the rear wheel but I rarely ride in areas that are very far from civilisation...
My OHM Cruise doesn't need it, but 80% of the time I'm also riding with my partner, and she's got a rear hub fattie. I also have the same fattie, which I'll probably use more in the winter.

As noted above, having it helped out a stranger who somehow managed to screw up their rear wheel. :)

My crescent wrench is mostly used on tiny nuts holding fenders & handlebar controls on. Odd sizes not covered by my open end wrenches and I have more trouble kicking the fender off center than anything else on the bike. I long for the days when a bike frame was long enough your feet weren't constantly fouling the front wheel. But that would require $1 worth of extra aluminum, those bikes would never sell these days.
I also double nut the axles to keep them from slipping crooked in the frame, and I don't have 2 open wrenches of any size. so the 2nd wrench to counter torque nuts to lock is an adjustable one.
Good thing I had this tool kit on the bike. 9/13-9/14 a burglar kicked in my garage door and forced a 2nd story window open and took nearly every tool I own in his Jeep cherokee. I couldn't open a bottle of soda without the pliers I keep on the bike. By buying only a new electric drill some bits and screws, I was able to patch the hole in the garage door with plywood with these tools.

Last edited:
Spare open ended tube, levers, handlebar jack stands, foot pump, rags, disposable gloves, fix a flat, screw drivers (flat head and philips), crescent wrench, ties, pliers, band aids, gauze, gauze pads, gauze tape and electrical tape. Also, don’t forget your fully charged cell phone. It may seem over the board, but when an emergency arrives either for you or someone else, you’ll be happy you have it and it all fits in my trunk bag.

Some basic tools, a good pressure gauge, 3 different locks (each has a use case, depending on perceived security risk at any given location), some Rok straps (way better than bungees), a balaclava (don't need it in the summer but it just stays in my rear rack bag), a pair of gloves, some micro-fiber wipes, and a basic first aid kit. Similar items are kept together in zip-lock baggies for ease of access and weather protection -- my bag advertises water resistance but you can't count on that. I used to carry a pump. Not sure why I stopped. Maybe because after over 50 years of bike-packing I only used it once. I've got a good floor pump at home.

Back