Best way lock a bike with nothing around?

Sean C.

Just purchased new ebike, live in condo with underground parking. My parking spot has nothing to latch a lock onto. I was thinking of locking front and rear wheels and taken battery away. Any other suggestions?

Check with your Strata and see if they'll let you install a ground anchor.

Then lock it appropriately to that but still take battery with you.

Think I'll do that, without telling anyone. Wife's car blocks the bike majority of time, but when two of us go out it can be seen. My last bike I just locked it, but spent $4,000 on this new bike.

Thieves dont go to poor areas to steal .
Well said, bike rack in parking garage is full with 40 bikes. F##k tenants will be complaining about me bringing bike up elevator everyday. Unless I put ground anchor in and take battery away every day when locked.

In addition to a ground anchor, would put an alarm on th bike. They’re under $20,00 on Amazon and even If the bike is bumped, the noise will scare them away, especially in a closed area. No matter what type of security you have, it can be compromised. Good luck.

You might consider a GPS tracker for when it does get stolen...

Found alarms you can hide on bike, hide in frame bike moved they go off like a car alarm. And you can connect to phone.

My brother's condo isn't in a high crime area but bike theft is a problem. On one occasion, a group of thieves boldly cut the iron posts of the condo bike rack and stole it, along with 8 bikes secured to it. The put the whole thing in the back of a stolen delivery van and drove off in plain sight of several residents! None were ever recovered. Luckily, my brothers bike wasn't involved but since then, he keeps it locked to the bike rack on his vehicle and takes it with him. He backs into his parking spot up against the wall of the underground garage so there is very little clearance for a would be thief to get at it. He removes the battery & seatpost and uses a motion alarm as added protection.

Yes, this exposes the bike when he uses the vehicle but he is retired and doesn't commute. He uses the vehicle mostly to run short errands. This way, he's ready to go whenever he decides to take the bike somewhere to ride.

My brother's condo isn't in a high crime area but bike theft is a problem. On one occasion, a group of thieves boldly cut the iron posts of the condo bike rack and stole it, along with 8 bikes secured to it. The put the whole thing in the back of a stolen delivery van and drove off in plain sight of several residents! None were ever recovered. Luckily, my brothers bike wasn't involved but since then, he keeps it locked to the bike rack on his vehicle and takes it with him. He backs into his parking spot up against the wall of the underground garage so there is very little clearance for a would be thief to get at it. He removes the battery & seatpost and uses a motion alarm as added protection.

Yes, this exposes the bike when he uses the vehicle but he is retired and doesn't commute. He uses the vehicle mostly to run short errands. This way, he's ready to go whenever he decides to take the bike somewhere to ride.
I like that approach a lot. A bike locked to a sturdy hitch rack very near a wall is going to be harder to see or to steal.

75% time big car blocks the bike, always at night. Hard see unless cars next to mine are gone. Starting think 2 locks, tracking alarm, and bring bike up to condo when I won't be using should be enough.

Too bad you didn't just buy a small folding ebike. That would have eliminated all these problems. You could have stored it inside the car or condo.

Back