best tire for explorer +2

flugelboneman

Region
Canada
City
Comox Valley British Columbia Canada
It was semi dark and I sensed a "mushiness" in steering. Long way from home and I hoped it was not a flat tire. I glanced down at front tire, saw it was deflating. The seconds I took to look down put me in the weeds. Ended up with pavement burns and painful groin stretch, which, apparently takes weeks to heal. I take responsibility for this spill, as I should have braked instantly and checked while stopped. Momentary loss of concentration will get you every time. This is second flat in less than a year. I put Swalbe tires on my last conventional bike and they were terrrific. Never a flat and very good in varied conditions. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good all round tire resistant to flats? I am thinking seriously about ordering a set of Schwalbes.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, glad you're okay.

I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my Explore, and they are good tires, but don't ride as well as the original tires did. The problem with the Marathon Plus is they just don't have as much volume to cushion out the ride.

Schwalbe came out with some new tires recently, the Marathon e-plus, which come in wider sizes. If 55 isn't too wide, it would probably be a great tire.

Also, Take a read through some other posts in the Giant forum, tires that other members have posted positive feedback about are the Marathon Mondail and Big Ben Plus.

thx slow rider. I got a list of schwalbe tires off the net but the E+ was not there. will enquire. Like i stated I had Schwalbes on my last Trek and really liked them.

It was semi dark and I sensed a "mushiness" in steering. Long way from home and I hoped it was not a flat tire. I glanced down at front tire, saw it was deflating. The seconds I took to look down put me in the weeds. Ended up with pavement burns and painful groin stretch, which, apparently takes weeks to heal. I take responsibility for this spill, as I should have braked instantly and checked while stopped. Momentary loss of concentration will get you every time. This is second flat in less than a year. I put Swalbe tires on my last conventional bike and they were terrrific. Never a flat and very good in varied conditions. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good all round tire resistant to flats? I am thinking seriously about ordering a set of Schwalbes.

Were you on the original giant crosscut tire when this happened?

I have a set of Marathon new take-offs in classifieds for about 40% off new. As puncture resistant as you can get. Stock size.
Consider going tubeless, the rims are tubeless ready - your shop can fix you up with stems and sealant.

I just installed Schwalbe Big Apple w/RaceGuard tires on my Explore E+ 4 after seeing that Browneye was experimenting with the premier balloon tires. He's right, tight fit ! I had to lose my fenders and a slight mod to my rear rack but they are mounted and I'm waiting for some passable weather. I went with a mullet style ride with sightly wider rear drive tire than the front steering tire. (622 x 60mm back, 622 x 55mm front) Absolutely no technical or scientific reason for the mullet ride but everybody knows anything with four or two wheels is cooler when you ride mullet style.

After 4 flats in less than 400 miles including a scary high speed front flat, I switched to Vittoria Revolution Tech tires on my QuickE. For safety reasons, I wanted tires that are properly rated for an ebike. These are thick, heavy, and have a nice tread pattern. I have had zero problems with them in any terrain.

They are narrower than the original ones. The added fender clearance is nice. However the smaller diameter changed the speedometer calibration and bike’s tops speed. Other than that I am very pleased. I’d buy them again.

Slow Rider, thx for the heads up. Just had Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x45c installed. They look great and should do the trick. Now all I have to do is recover from my groin pull which apparently lasts forever. Really miss the ebike.

Back