Best Lock for Ebikes

jwt355

New to this Ebike stuff and all of the stuff online about bike theft has me a bit sketched out about locking my bike up. So I was hoping to hear from you all which Lock or Lock combinations do you use that you feel has deterred theft of your bike?
I have great home owners insurance and I have talked with my insurance guy he said my bike is 100% covered if my bike was to me stolen no matter where it is stolen from. I would get full replacement cost. So Im good on that front. But I want to make sure I make it as hard as possible for a thief to steal my ride.

Also does anyone use any of the high decibel alarms on there bikes? I thought this would be a good way to deter theft along with using a high security U lock. Ive been watching the lock picking lawyer on youtube. That guy is amazing and there isn't a lock that he cant beat. So is the best deference having 2-3 locks on the bike? That going to be a heavy haul just to make sure I dont have to deal with a theft situation.

I agree @jwt355 , the lock-picking lawyer changed my mind in a big hurry regarding what an adequate bike lock is. (Or, any adequate lock, for that matter.)

As well, Wayne Winton's YouTube videos demonstrating his destructive testing of locks, chains, etc changed my mind in some other ways. For instance, this video:

Best Strongest Security Chain Bolt Cutter Cropper Proof Chain

A lot depends on where you lock your bike and for how long. And it can depend on your bike and the bike racks you use. I need to be able to lock around the down tube on some bike racks I use, but my bike's down tube is too big for any worthwhile U-lock. So I opted for a chain (ABUS Granit City Chain X-Plus 110cm). Yes, it weighs 6 lbs bit I stick it in my pannier and don't notice it (well not too much anyhow). The 110cm chain is not long enough to lock through both wheels so I also carry a cable/padlock for the wheel I can't reach. And I have a smaller cable and lock on my seat.

Longer term my plan is, replace the cable/padlock with an ABUS Bordo lock with alarm. Then put HexLox on my wheels and seatpost.

That way I can travel light with just the Bordo when going trail riding, or carry both the Bordo and City Chain when going to risky areas in the city.

Make sure your home owner policy has a deductible level that you are okay paying because in case of ebike theft you still have to pay that deductible, even though the ebike is 100% covered.

The *best* deterrent is an armed guard standing right by your ebike 24/7, looking menacing at anyone who comes within 10 ft, anytime you park your bike outside while you're not with the bike or the bike is not with you. That could be expensive, I imagine ;), so In lieu of hiring one or more armed guards, you should not rely on just one lock or even one type of lock but use a combo of locks (like a 16mm Ulock and a lock like a very heavy duty chain lock with a huge padlock).

You'll want to lock frame and both wheels to a solid structure that cannot be breached and have your bike in plain view of others and not isolated in some spot where a thief can spend time without anyone seeing them.

You should remove all parts that someone could easily steal (seat, bags, display unit, other equipment on the handlebars, water bottles, and remove your battery and take it with you or lock it away somewhere safe, not on or near the bike.

Basically you want to make your ebike a P.I.A. for someone to steal because there is almost nothing that a determined thief with the right equipment can't steal.

I think I found the ticket. I was watching more Youtube videos tonight and ran into a Kevin Alarm lock with a 12mm shackle and a 120 decibel alarm. 32$ on Ebay. Then I found a few videos about the Pewag Security chain the 1/2 inch size is virtually uncuttable by any bolt cutters as its 62 Rockwell which is the highest of any chain made out there. Yeah its heavy 4 feet of it is 10lbs but I dont think I have to worry about a quick cut and go scenario with this thing. Im also going to be using a Lock with a beefy cable for my seat and such.

Chain Video:

Lock Video

Last edited:
There is no single lock that a $25 angle grinder can't cut through, however, you can make it more difficult and cause a thief to want to just pass on your bike and move to the next less secure bike. I use a combination of 2 locks and cables and haven't had issues yet. It does add to the weight but like I said, has worked for me for 2 years. I use 2 of these and 2 thick cables - https://www.amazon.com/Winner-International-UTL810-Utility-Yellow/dp/B00CCIM1YQ. Each lock weights 3-4lbs but worth it.

New to this Ebike stuff and all of the stuff online about bike theft has me a bit sketched out about locking my bike up. So I was hoping to hear from you all which Lock or Lock combinations do you use that you feel has deterred theft of your bike?
I have great home owners insurance and I have talked with my insurance guy he said my bike is 100% covered if my bike was to me stolen no matter where it is stolen from. I would get full replacement cost. So Im good on that front. But I want to make sure I make it as hard as possible for a thief to steal my ride.

Also does anyone use any of the high decibel alarms on there bikes? I thought this would be a good way to deter theft along with using a high security U lock. Ive been watching the lock picking lawyer on youtube. That guy is amazing and there isn't a lock that he cant beat. So is the best deference having 2-3 locks on the bike? That going to be a heavy haul just to make sure I dont have to deal with a theft situation.

There is no single lock that a $25 angle grinder can't cut through, however, you can make it more difficult and cause a thief to want to just pass on your bike and move to the next less secure bike. I use a combination of 2 locks and cables and haven't had issues yet. It does add to the weight but like I said, has worked for me for 2 years. I use 2 of these and 2 thick cables - https://www.amazon.com/Winner-International-UTL810-Utility-Yellow/dp/B00CCIM1YQ. Each lock weights 3-4lbs but worth it.

@jazz I just ordered 2 of those. Are they hardened steel? I like those cause they can be adjusted. Hope these work for me. You just saved me a bunch of money Thank you =)

@jazz I just ordered 2 of those. Are they hardened steel? I like those cause they can be adjusted. Hope these work for me. You just saved me a bunch of money Thank you =)

Yes they are still under a rubberized coating so not to scratch your bike. Easily adjustable! :)

trying to find some brute force tests on youtube now. 32$ for 2 of these man I was about to drop 300$ + on Abus. I still have the alarm padlock incoming I plan to use also so this should do me for locking up my ride. Appreciate you.

Bike security is not a one fit situation for all, in my opinion it must be related to what you are trying to secure. My primary concern is to deter the low level or opportunist from securing my possession. Ultimately what I am doing is buying time with any type of lock or security device. I want to delay the thief so that they are caught or damage the tools that they are using. A determined thief or professional is a different story, they have all of the time in the world and have substantial ability to deploy countermeasures to defeat any and all obstacles. With that being said i have some personal things that I do secure my bike.

1. Thou shall not use cable locks for primary or secondary security
2. Thou shall not use Kryptonite locks of any kind
3. Laclede 3/8" (10mm) Square "Lockdown" Security Chain w/ HARDNESS RATING OF 62-65 HRC. Can be ordered in custom lengths, i have couple at 2 foot lengths.
4. 2 different "Viro" shutter locks with 2 different keys. Benefit of using chain as protection against bolt cutters, hacksaw attack.
5. No less that 3/8" in chain size with the proper lock to fit. (who care about weight, that is what turbo on an ebike is for...)

6. Primary and secondary chains are case hardened and my tertiary cable is just for seat deterrent.
7. Time must be taken on how to secure a bike with chain. Due to tire size and frame geometry all chains will not fit, nor should they.
8. I have a special mini double saddle bag just to carry both locks and chains just behind the handlebar.
9. 4 minutes. That is my estimated time to delay a theft with me to be able to react with other countermeasures. Upon failure, insurance.

@Ebiker2018 sounds like you have some good practices there. Good on you. Question. will the 3/8th Laclede be bolt cutter proof? I was curious about that and was thinking the 1/2 is what I would need to go with, just because they are Bolt cutter proof.

It is my opinion that a $17 dollar "club" lock is better than nothing... only slightly better. Depending on where you live and your budget this may be your best option. I feel that if you spent any significant amount of money on a ebike you should entertain better security. But if you are looking for the most economical unit, it is being offered "used" in the $12 dollar range on Amazingzon.

It is my opinion that a $17 dollar "club" lock is better than nothing... only slightly better. Depending on where you live and your budget this may be your best option. I feel that if you spent any significant amount of money on a ebike you should entertain better security. But if you are looking for the most economical unit, it is being offered "used" in the $12 dollar range on Amazingzon.

Heck I spent alot of money on the Bike so I want to protect it. I feel with 2 of these and a cable through my seat I believe that would deter any thief from even wanting to try and tackle it. Im not in a high risk area but I definitely want to make sure no one is even tempted.

So are you saying the 3/8th Chain would be a better option Then the club? I understand the rockwell hardness of the chains and it being able to defeat the bolt cutters as the steel is harder then on the Bolt cutters. But will the 3/8 size be enough to stop Bolt cutters? Im going to google it now =-)

@Ebiker2018 sounds like you have some good practices there. Good on you. Question. will the 3/8th Laclede be bolt cutter proof? I was curious about that and was thinking the 1/2 is what I would need to go with, just because they are Bolt cutter proof.

The 3/8" is hand bolt cutter proof as is the 1/2". Hydraulic or electric bolt cutters I can't say for sure. I only recommend 1/2" for home use due to size and weight. It would be difficult for the average person to move this from the reinforced container that it would take to transport. Any kind of bike bag or pannier would fail over time with the weight of locks and chain. One wrong move and you have a smashed toe or a damaged wheel spoke. The new Laclede is harder than the current Pewag chain.

Heck I spent alot of money on the Bike so I want to protect it. I feel with 2 of these and a cable through my seat I believe that would deter any thief from even wanting to try and tackle it. Im not in a high risk area but I definitely want to make sure no one is even tempted.

So are you saying the 3/8th Chain would be a better option Then the club? I understand the rockwell hardness of the chains and it being able to defeat the bolt cutters as the steel is harder then on the Bolt cutters. But will the 3/8 size be enough to stop Bolt cutters? Im going to google it now =-)

Laclede is just as hard if not harder that Pewag.

Bolt cutter test.

trying to find some brute force tests on youtube now. 32$ for 2 of these man I was about to drop 300$ + on Abus. I still have the alarm padlock incoming I plan to use also so this should do me for locking up my ride. Appreciate you.

I like the Abus u-lock. Only problem is flexibility to lock to an unknown fixed object that may outside of the length or width of the lock. If you do get it don't play, get the motorcycle version.

IMG_20180626_001454.jpgIMG_20180626_001439.jpg I have sleeve for the 2 ft lock that i have not attached yet.

I purchased this huge beefy padlock (XENA XSU69) a few years ago (from the UK, as I could not find it in the US). It needs a big beefy chain. I tried an Abus chain but the links were not wide enough for the 18mm diameter of this beefy boy. I don't think anyone would mess with this one and have much success quickly.

XenaLock500x300.jpg

Back