Best e-trike for neighborhood hil

Joanne1953

Region
USA
I’m a newbie to the electric trike world and trying to do my research. The problem is I don’t know what I need to know. Thanks to anyone who can help me narrow down the choices, based on what I am looking for.

I want an in-town-use e-trike that I can pedal (for exercise) on the flat streets/sidewalks of town. I need the electric motor to get me back up the (somewhat steep) hill to my house. I’m 68, 5’3”, overweight and out-of-shape with arthritic knees. I don’t think I want a recumbent trike, unless there are convincing arguments for one. I prefer trikes with a backrest, or the ability to change the seat to one with a backrest. High speeds (over 15 mph) and being able to make sharp turns are not important to me, but I don’t want to feel like I could walk faster, either. High reliability and sturdiness ARE important. A real bonus would be the ability to fit it in the back of my Honda CR-V so I could take it to area bike paths for longer rides.

1. What size motor (or battery or whatever!) do I need to easily get up a substantial hill that winds it’s way up for about 1/2 mile.
2. I see e-trikes with large front tires and smaller back tires, some with tires all the same size, and others with large back tires and a smaller front tire. “What’s it all about, Alfie?” She wails. What size tires are the right ones for my stated needs???
3. I prefer simple and do not need high tech and high price. I do want it to have a brake when it’s stopped - not interested in or able to chase it in the grocery parking lot as it rolls away from me. Also, I actually like coaster brakes, but any kind of good brakes are fine.
4. I won’t be riding after dark or in bad weather, so not overly concerned about lights.
5. Being able to reverse by flipping a switch (or whatever you do) and going backwards would be a great, but not essential.
6. What else is important to be aware of and look for and ask about? Lithium-ion battery, not lead, yes. What else?

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, or reviews.
Joanne

Interesting, the seat arrangement is no problem, the configuration is, you would probably be better served with a "tadpole" style trike, for stability reasons, I bought a "Delta" style trike once upon a time and couldn't ride it, reversing switch should be no problem, as the parking brake shouldn't be that difficult sounds like a 36 volt setup with around 20 ah should work for you, try to find something with 500-750 watt geared motor, cassette or freewheel 6-7 spd should be plenty if you go 'recumbent" make sure you have the visibility flag on the machine, you do not need "fattires", getting into the CRV could be a problem. Search the web you will find plenty of choices, just remember you get what you pay for and these things can get costly in a hurry.
The Good Folks hereabouts will take notice and shout Me down in a hurry, so pay attention to what they say.

Check out the Liberty Trike. My wife has one. She keeps the speed under 11 mph. It has a coaster brake and a front disc brake. There is no derailleur. There are 5 power settings and a throttle. This is about a simple as it comes. As with all trikes, slow down when turning. It handles hills pretty good with the throttle only or you can pedal to assist. You will want a suspension seat post.

It also has reverse and a brake lock.

Day 6 Joy.
5D62BCBE-BBEF-482F-BB65-FFED5E80411D.jpeg

Interesting, the seat arrangement is no problem, the configuration is, you would probably be better served with a "tadpole" style trike, for stability reasons, I bought a "Delta" style trike once upon a time and couldn't ride it, reversing switch should be no problem, as the parking brake shouldn't be that difficult sounds like a 36 volt setup with around 20 ah should work for you, try to find something with 500-750 watt geared motor, cassette or freewheel 6-7 spd should be plenty if you go 'recumbent" make sure you have the visibility flag on the machine, you do not need "fattires", getting into the CRV could be a problem. Search the web you will find plenty of choices, just remember you get what you pay for and these things can get costly in a hurry.
The Good Folks hereabouts will take notice and shout Me down in a hurry, so pay attention to what they say.
Thanks for your advice. After looking at photographs of a tadpole trike, it dawned on me that I would have great difficulty standing up from that recumbent position. Thanks for the info about the size battery and motor I will need.

Check out the Liberty Trike. My wife has one. She keeps the speed under 11 mph. It has a coaster brake and a front disc brake. There is no derailleur. There are 5 power settings and a throttle. This is about a simple as it comes. As with all trikes, slow down when turning. It handles hills pretty good with the throttle only or you can pedal to assist. You will want a suspension seat post.

Thanks, Mike DD. I have looked at the Liberty Trike and it is a contender. I like it’s portability and relative simplicity. It’s good to have a personal recommendation. I’ll look up ‘suspension seat post’.

Thanks for your advice. After looking at photographs of a tadpole trike, it dawned on me that I would have great difficulty standing up from that recumbent position. Thanks for the info about the size battery and motor I will need.
My back has been royally screwed for many years and seating or even recumbent positions are one thing I have to be cognizant of, I cannot use a "creeper" when I work on vehicles, limited mobility makes you aware of your "limits" and no one else can tell you what you can and cannot do.( makes one want to "pistol whip some young cockerels)

Thanks, Mike DD. I have looked at the Liberty Trike and it is a contender. I like it’s portability and relative simplicity. It’s good to have a personal recommendation. I’ll look up ‘suspension seat post’.
Its a very good looker and I would venture to say if one has no bike experience this would work, my trouble with trikes is the feel( I was 13 yrs old before I could ride a bike, I could balance, couldn't pedal, my legs wouldn't work. One day I got pissed jumped on a bicycle and lo and behold my legs started pumping, been "Run Forrest,run" ever since. The steering on a trike just feels weird to me.

Its a very good looker and I would venture to say if one has no bike experience this would work, my trouble with trikes is the feel( I was 13 yrs old before I could ride a bike, I could balance, couldn't pedal, my legs wouldn't work. One day I got pissed jumped on a bicycle and lo and behold my legs started pumping, been "Run Forrest,run" ever since. The steering on a trike just feels weird to me.
What I don’t understand is the point of all the different sizes of wheels and their positions. Small all over (Liberty), big back wheels with small front one, small back wheels, big front one…how does one decide which configuration is best for their needs?

YouTube!
Lots of videos on regular trikes and electric trikes. A simple search for “adult electric trikes”. Yes some of them promote their own brand but it’s a good place to get info.
Here’s one of many:

What I don’t understand is the point of all the different sizes of wheels and their positions. Small all over (Liberty), big back wheels with small front one, small back wheels, big front one…how does one decide which configuration is best for their needs?
It can affect the Handling and feel, rake and trail can affect the handling and stability of a trike, the less"rake and trail" the more maneuverable the trike, conversely the more "rake and trail" the better the stability at the expense of maneuverability, you could see this in the old VW tub style trikes that used to be fairly popular with Chopper forks and what have you on the front, I watched a "little Guy" backing one of these trikes up one day and He couldn't keep the Forks from oscillating( rapidly wobbling from one side to the other) shouldn't be much of a problem on a standard etrike.

I think you can take load into an SUV from your wish list. Unless you add a long ramp and an electric winch to you CRV. Even the little liberty trike weighs 60 lbs. Depending on that hill, I imagine you can walk it faster than what a heavy trike will do on throttle only.

YouTube!
Lots of videos on regular trikes and electric trikes. A simple search for “adult electric trikes”. Yes some of them promote their own brand but it’s a good place to get info.
Here’s one of many:
Thanks Marci Jo. after Watching several, I’m coming to the conclusion The Liberty Trike might be right for me,

I think you can take load into an SUV from your wish list. Unless you add a long ramp and an electric winch to you CRV. Even the little liberty trike weighs 60 lbs. Depending on that hill, I imagine you can walk it faster than what a heavy trike will do on throttle only.
I’m sorry…I don’t understand what you mean by “can take a load into an SUV”. As for the Liberty trike, it comes apart, so each piece weighs about 25 lbs each. a YouTube video showed a woman my age and shape, working alone, putting it into a small car like the CRV. that gives me hope.

I’m sorry…I don’t understand what you mean by “can take a load into an SUV”. As for the Liberty trike, it comes apart, so each piece weighs about 25 lbs each. a YouTube video showed a woman my age and shape, working alone, putting it into a small car like the CRV. that gives me hope.
The Liberty bike seller is a stand up guy. AND stocks replacement parts should they be needed. It to bad that you need a trike to fit in your cage. There are some really nice delta trikes with 24” and 26” wheels. I opted for a wider than normal 38” rear wheel base. I’m always looking for Trek Dlx Pure tricycles to motorized.

how far away are he longer trails?

The easiest way to load the Liberty into an SUV is to loosen the handlebars and fold them down. Then lift the rear wheels into the SUV, then lift the front and roll it into your SUV. You will have to fold the back seat down.

I suggest a parallelogram style suspension seatpost. Pricey ($112) for mine, but superior in my opinion to the standard ones. My Emojo Caddy Pro came with a seat and backrest. Backrest wouldn't stay in position no matter how much I tightened it with pliers. I bought a regular saddle.

Just a friendly note, It was suggested to me by the owner Jason Craft, that if you're over 6'4", a Liberty Trike would not be a comfortable ride.

Back