Belt or chain!?

whitebeach

Why are people still mostly buying chain driven bikes? Yes can be cheaper, easier to change rear tyre (get Marathon plus tyres). But the derailleur do sort of looks 'old'. I have both and the chain came off yesterday!

More of a question for people with mid motors?

There are a few ebikes with hubmotor/belt, but now you're riding a single speed bike. I feel that's more for riders that want full motor assist. I think it would constrain riders that really pedal, and also put more load on the motor over its life.

On a midmotor, with an internally geared hub IGH, you could have a quiet setup, and someday, they'll have automatic shifting. Anyway, a good IGH cost more than most of my ebikes, so I'll pass.

I for one, like the sound of a derailleur, and the snick snick snick from the shifters when one drops six gears to start climbing. And when you have a well tuned front derailleur, the silent transition between the big and middle gears when needed is just so zen.

Oh well, take out the mystique, chains are stronger/cheaper.

More of a question for people with mid motors?

There are a few ebikes with hubmotor/belt, but now you're riding a single speed bike. I feel that's more for riders that want full motor assist. I think it would constrain riders that really pedal, and also put more load on the motor over its life.

On a midmotor, with an internally geared hub IGH, you could have a quiet setup, and someday, they'll have automatic shifting. Anyway, a good IGH cost more than most of my ebikes, so I'll pass.

I for one, like the sound of a derailleur, and the snick snick snick from the shifters when one drops six gears to start climbing. And when you have a well tuned front derailleur, the silent transition between the big and middle gears when needed is just so zen.

Oh well, take out the mystique, chains are stronger/cheaper.
I own both a chain drive and a belt drive ebike. The belt drive has no maintenance, it’s silent and it’s clean. If the chain is stronger then why does it stretch? I don’t miss getting my hands greasy maintaining a chain. I would buy a pinion belt drive hub motor bike for commuting/road riding in a heartbeat.

Get the tranmission price down, give me some assurance regarding longevity, and I believe you could add at least one more belt fan to the mix. Love the idea....

give me some assurance regarding longevity, and I believe you could add at least one more belt fan to the mix. Love the idea....
Agree, the pricing for internal geared transmissions, coupled with a belt drive is very prohibitive at the moment
This review may give you some assurance on belt longevity

Little doubt here regarding belt longevity. That's the big attraction actually. I would NOT miss dealing with a chain, or a derailleur fro that matter....

I have had a belt-drive bike and loved it. It is currently on loan to my sister as a commuter. I think the main reason for not having a belt-drive bike right now is cost and availability.

I had a hard time deciding between the belt and chain versions of my bike (Giant La Free). The belt version was $400 more than the chain. When I finally purchased, the chain model (E+2) was on a Black Friday sale of $400 off the list price of $1999, so bought that one. Price was my deciding factor for a bike that had great reviews for both versions.

I'm a recreational rider - 10-20-ish miles per ride on mostly paved surfaces. The bike performs well for me, and, since this is the model I test-rode, I guess I don't know what I'm missing with the belt, so I don't miss it ;).

If I were a serious, long distance rider or high-speed commuter, my calculation might have been different. But, I'm a slow old lady enjoying the ride, so a chain is fine for me 😁.

Why are people still mostly buying chain driven bikes?

Because 99% of the bikes on offer have chains. I am sure most people do not even realize that belt driven bikes exist.

Yes can be cheaper, easier to change rear tyre (get Marathon plus tyres). But the derailleur do sort of looks 'old'. I have both and the chain came off yesterday!

It is always cheaper with a chain. Chains are cheaper, and derailleurs are cheaper than internally geared hubs. Of course over the life of a bike (that gets a lot of use), a belt/IGH will have lower maintenance costs than a chain/derailleur system.

As far as chains coming off, I have not dropped a chain in years. When I last dropped one, I had a 1x in the 80's...before 1x systems became a thing. So I had no clutch, and no narrow wide ring. Even then it happened rarely. Not a big deal, in my opinion.

Mind you, I'd love to have a belt driven bike...with a geared mid-motor. But a geared mid-motor has yet to be invented.

chains have a lot less friction.

Any data to back that up? In this article, they actually test for frictional losses: https://www.cyclingabout.com/belt-drivetrain-efficiency-lab-testing/

Here's the summary:

"Summary
This lab test has determined that chains are between 0.3% and 1.0% more efficient at low power outputs (under 212 watts), while belts are more efficient at high power outputs (over 212 watts).

Things get a bit more muddied for the chain when we factor in different chain lubricant options. There are between 4-5 watts difference between chain lubricants alone – so pick your lube wisely!

Keep in mind these numbers were collected under perfect conditions, so mud and grit will play varying roles in efficiency under real-world conditions. It’s not hard to imagine a belt drivetrain having a significant advantage in muddy/gritty conditions, as it can shed debris very effectively.

With all things considered, the frictional differences between belts and chains are largely insignificant."

I guess when I think belt vs. chain, I look at the car manf's. They stopped using chains for things like driving camshafts quite a while ago - in favor of belts. Pretty easy to see for those with experience here that the belts are not only much lighter, they have a much longer service life, even when compared to chains run in an oil bath..... That tells me all I want to know.

My bet is the belts run quieter as well.

As far as the super bikes, I'm guessing that's about the suspension geometry? Trying to keep a constant belt tension as the rear suspension flexes might be a challenge. Seems to me a chain turning at high speed is going to have a terrific amount of centrifugal force trying to sling it off, in ADDITION to transferring the power to the wheel. Not a real pretty picture in my mind.... Given my druthers, I'd MUCH rather have a belt back there if it were possible.

In the case of the Giant LaFree (now "momentum") they had a belt drive 2020 model (e+1) -- but for 2021 they only offer the chain. Why would this be?
When I was shopping around for ebikes I was told by a bike shop guy that belt driven bikes can be harder going up steeper hills.
I don't think this link mentions that:

Back