be careful out there!

mschwett

Region
USA

The sheriff's office said Chen was riding on the Bay View Trail at the park at around 12:20 p.m. when he lost control of his e-bike while going up a hillside and rode off a steep ridgeline to the ground below.

Chen, who was wearing a helmet, was found on a steep ravine with injuries consistent with a long fall, the sheriff's office said. Despite the efforts of bystanders and paramedics, Chen's condition declined and he died at the scene.

we'll probably never know the full story behind what happened to this poor gentleman, but there's no denying that e-bikes allow people to ride places they would not otherwise be able to... which doesn't make it safe. i don't personally ride trails because so many friends have been injured in remote places while doing so, but if you do, please be careful!

Looks like a dirt trail. Although it's only a few miles long, easy to fall and drop 20 feet. I was riding the Mickelson Trail alone in the early AM in South Dakota and there were stretches where if I wiped out on the gravel, I could fall down a slope into the creek and never be seen again. I moved away from that side.
I did wipe out later going downhill on loose gravel. Had to go see the doc a week later because my right leg will still swollen. A bike veteran told me later, I should have leaned back on the seat. Funny, that's what the guide told me about riding horses on hills on that same trip. Lean back going downhill and forward going uphill,
City traffic is still more dangerous. Last night I crossed a 4 lane street on the green. One car was already stopped in the near lane. I still looked around him, just in time to see a second car blow the red light at 40 mph. He almost hit the bike in front of me.

Now when the heck did 67 years-old become elderly. I would give anything to be 67 again, though I did have a most beautiful girlfriend back then:D.

Back