Be aware, pedal-assisted bikes are NOT ebikes

Signs don’t matter, they don’t enforce the law on multi use paths, I have seen golf carts on them before! Mini bikes, scooters etc. they don’t have enough manpower to enforce the law
¨Laws that cannot be enforced are useless.¨ Machiavelli

So it comes down to making people act responsibly. Bummer.
It´s hard sometimes; being responsible just feels so unnatural. It diminishes the thrill of riding especially if you´re are into
participating in things like the Red Bull Rampage or enjoy playing Russian roulette. Still, it is only fair to show some token
consideration for those who foolishly cling to life.🤡

The original definition of a Low-Speed Electric Bike (LSEB) (California definition is Class-1 ebike) is what I always revert to. Comply with its definition and you can ride anywhere in America that bicycles are allowed. An LSEB is not considered a motorized-vehicle and has all the same rights afforded bicycles. I ride past, around, under, by, and once over signs stating no motor(ized) vehicles, motorcycles, etc. That said... local municipalities can do any strange s*it they want. I ride where I want and have never been questioned, stopped, or told to leave an area, and that's in several national parks too. Everybody ride safe.

There are a lot of park rangers that issue citations
I have had 3 rangers in Mount Rainier National Forrest stop me to ask about my bike, take pics, and discuss the solar system. Not one of them questioned my right to be riding in the park. The only signs I comply with are "No bicycles allowed", everything else I ride around.

Mountbello is an open space preserve (OPS). I met one park ranger on the top. He said he did not know the difference between peddle-assisted bike and those ebikes with throttles.

So all are banned. If you can ever talk to them, explain to them that our peddle-assisted bike is class 1 if they are considered ebikes.

Good to know... thanks for the update.

ok guys i got a solution to ur problem,
all we need to do is tell these major ebike sellers to start fund raising for these legislators for their next election campaign who are putting a stop on ebike entering trials...

ok guys i got a solution to ur problem,
all we need to do is tell these major ebike sellers to start fund raising for these legislators for their next election campaign who are putting a stop on ebike entering trials...
Yeah that´s bin working so well lately, huh.

what needs to be banned are the tools who dont pedal, but just straight throttle and cruise control at 25mph on these paths

i don’t understand the difference in pedaling and not. I hit you while pedaling or throttle hurts the same. I scare the pedestrians the same . I am over the speed limit by 10 mph the same . My point is why does a throttle matter...I don’t have one on my bikes wish I did but it wasn’t a deal breaker and IMHO it doesn’t matter

John peck, don’t understand the thumbs up to both me and Hector, he is trying to be be an ass I am serious. I beieve he percieves a difference in being hit at 25mph with a bike being pedaled and a bike moving at 25mph using a throttle, not sure which one hurts more for him , I am guessing the throttle....

I have had 3 rangers in Mount Rainier National Forrest stop me to ask about my bike, take pics, and discuss the solar system. Not one of them questioned my right to be riding in the park. The only signs I comply with are "No bicycles allowed", everything else I ride around.

There is no Mt. Rainier National Forest. There is Mt. Rainier National Park. Nearby are the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest, Wenatchee Okanogan or Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest, and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

Actually I see the´no motorized vehicles´ signs on most trails, meant to keep cars out I guess. 15mph, does that mean I have to speed up?
None of it is enforced on ebikes; I think they´re just there as an out for liability. In WA ebikes are basically considered bicycles & subject to
the same laws. Over 750w is another story, but how are they supposed to tell. As long as riders are cool & self regulate, nobody cares.

Beware of where you ride. Unless things have changed in a year, the USFS considers all ebikes to be motorized. I questioned the local FS rec person about this. Non motorized bike trails are not open to ebikes on Forest Service land. I think your chances of getting caught are slim though.

Beware of where you ride. Unless things have changed in a year, the USFS considers all ebikes to be motorized. I questioned the local FS rec person about this. Non motorized bike trails are not open to ebikes on Forest Service land. I think your chances of getting caught are slim though.
I guess that's different in different locations.

25 Jul 20 - Mowich Lake
https://www.relive.cc/view/v8qkd2LGdKv
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hRSTYZ8UjzdpuQ7n8

26 Jul 20 - Rain Forest Trail
https://www.relive.cc/view/vQvyDGe2W4q - https://prnt.sc/tsxt5p
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WcoVAreB4TUdAiPF7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwwdaVg4Y5M

On this overnighter, I rode past 4 different Rangers in various vehicles and on foot riding up and down the mountain, another while setting up camp at Mowich Lake, and then stopped at the Carbon River Ranger Station for a couple of hours the next day to recharge one of the batteries. They treated me to all the courtesies they had and in the time of Covid. Class-1 ebikes (LSEB) can ride anywhere bicycles are allowed.

"Federal Law Governing Low-Speed Electric Bicycles: Electric-assisted bicycles have been defined and regulated at the federal level since 2002. Public Law 107-319 established that electric bicycles are regulated as consumer products under the Consumer Product Safety Act, and more specifically, subject to the same regulations that govern traditional, human-powered bicycles. Thus, electric bicycles are regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and must comply with the bicycle safety standards at 16 C.F.R. Part 1512. In addition, electric bicycles are explicitly not “motor vehicles” for the purposes of federal law, and are not subject to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration vehicle standards."

" Under federal law, an electric bicycle is referred to as a “low-speed electric bicycle,” which is defined as “a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.” Significantly, this definition provides a maximum assisted speed that an electric bicycle can travel when being powered only by the motor, but does not provide a maximum assisted speed for when an electric bicycle is being powered by a combination of human and motor power. " - https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/static.peopleforbikes.org/uploads/E-Bike Law Primer v3 (1).pdf

Stick with the federal definition and you can ride a Class-1 ebike anywhere in America that bicycles are allowed with all the rights and priveledges afforded cyclists in America. That doesn't mean that physics isn't still on the side of the larger mass so ride safe.

There is no Mt. Rainier National Forest. There is Mt. Rainier National Park. Nearby are the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest, Wenatchee Okanogan or Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest, and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.
Oh, you Google Searching fool you! My bad, big bong hit. Feel better?

Not really an issue given a plethora of past injuries. I ride only very improved trails anymore or old logging roads. Worse come to worse,
I´ll plead personal mobility device. Very unlikely I´ll ever see a ranger, even so, bet I see him 1st.

Not really an issue given a plethora of past injuries. I ride only very improved trails anymore or old logging roads. Worse come to worse,
I´ll plead personal mobility device. Very unlikely I´ll ever see a ranger, even so, bet I see him 1st.
Ya gotta love logging roads.

Or her. Got a lot of hers out there.

Back