BBSHD Hot rod mode... what can I expect?

Hairball

Newbe here... Not a total newbe, I have 2 - 500W hub bikes and I am building 2 more fat bikes with BBSHD mid drives that I ordered in hot rod mode.
I have never ridden in hot rod mode...

My question is, What is the hot rod mode difference? What can I expect?

I am in the process of picking up a pc so I can program the motors if needed and am currently waiting on a 52V 14ah from EM3ev.
Most of my riding is flat and road or beach.

Pretty much just maxed out performance at every level. I bought my BBSHD kit programmed in hot rod mode, but SOON toned it down because it was just too jumpy for my tastes. If you have the programming cable (and a PC), it's a lot of fun to download lots of sets of parameters that others have used/recommend and then fine-tune it. (You can print out the various sets from the files people have posted and compare them.) It's very easy to do, with lots of Youtubes/instructions available online.

My Trek DS with the BBSHD is still plenty powerful (for me), but rides/responds much more smoothly now.

Thank you for that... Kind of what I anticipated.
Unfortunately I am a mac guy so I am shopping for a used laptop pc... Luna has a great little programer I will eventually get when they come back into stock.

I also have a BBSHD that is Luna hot rodded. Level 1 is pretty tame giving out about 150 watts. Level 2 jumps to about 480-525 watts which I felt was more assist than I needed. I ended up changing the settings from 5 levels of assist to 9 levels. That should make it easier to dial in the assist I want and also save wattage for better range. I'm using the stock 46t chain ring.

The power comes on smooth and the motor is near silent. Honestly I was expecting more raw power.

I think if I switched to a 30 tooth chainring, then I'll get the crazy response that I'm looking for.

Back