BBS02 power and speed limit setting?

What if your wheel magnet was ever so subtly misaligned during an EU speed limited ride?

Hmm, what do you mean?

The speed is not the issue - i can set a limit to 25km/h, but the issue is wattage.

I am with you. You can have 540W max and call it 250 Nominal. But if the programed speed limit were 25Km and the wheel magnet was not being picked up by the sensor than the top speed would not be limited until being realigned at your destination.

Yes, but its rather a system failure, it may happens always, i suppose in these EU 250 "nominal" engines also. I do not know what will happen in that situation from electronics point of view.

I have readed that 'nominal' is a crap when these engines can get even 400-600W in peak and 40km/h after limit removal.

750W related to this bafang is maximum, rahter considered as peak not nominal, correct (i am not sure) ?

If the authorities are going to use an "expert" witness to provide everything necessary to convict you, and you can't afford a more expensive "expert" to make their "expert" look silly, then I think you're going to have a tough sell when it comes to making a good case for what you are considering. It WILL come down to who can afford to make their case (you vs. authorities).

Stateside, I'd run it. Max here is 750w. I have 1 bike with 1000w, and another with 1500w. The 1500w is a Bafang Ultra, often rated by retailers as 750w - which we both know is a pure lie. I have seen NO enforcement of our laws, and until I see/hear of frequent enforcement, I'll continue riding in a sane manner to avoid drawing any attention to myself - as I have for the last several years now.

As far as what I would do in your location, that would depend on how frequently others were being ticketed, and what kind of penalties were most common. That's a pretty fancy bike, so it's going to attract a lot of attention even if it's sitting still.

That's me though - with very low levels of paranoia.... ;) -Al

The purpose is to comply the EU 250W regulation.

But what i found in above topic:

These EU 250 engines are going in peak to 540W

Unless you have clarification of the regulations you will be making assumptions in any case.
Does the regulation allow for derating of a motor thru programming? Or is it strictly governed by the manufacturer nameplate?
If it does not stipulate, it may be left up to interpretation and/or prior precedent.

As far i know there is no measurement method.
Then I would think that it is soley governed by manufacturer nameplate and any adjustments that you make will only be useful in that it shows your desire to comply and be safe.
In any event relying on information gained here will be as useful as a dead battery on a cold day.
If you want to have piece of mind... obtain the actual legislation wording and consult with an expert/law enforcement/attorney/insurance company in your specific jurisdiction.

Kinda what I was thinking, but more accurately put. Setting the max amps to put the bike within legal limits is not going to carry a lot of weight when things get legal....

All the authorities would have to do is a google search on the motor model number to blow whatever setting you're using in the setup right out of the water as regarding the motor's actual capacity.

You're righ guys.
I will try to return or sell the bike. Its really cool, i loved it - best ever bike i could have and it looks perfect, but i will better feel with clean head in case 'what if' about insurance.

Two days.

i have white version
I would use it as is and ride responsibly...but then again I'm a rebel in search of a cause 🙃

I can remove a throttle, i can set the max speed for 25km/h, but the wattage could still be the issue.

48V battery will not work with 36V 250W bafang bbs01?

I can remove a throttle, i can set the max speed for 25km/h, but the wattage could still be the issue.

48V battery will not work with 36V 250W bafang bbs01
No.. Battery will not work.

Depending on your riding needs I would also adjust the Amp settings... I've done this not for compliance but for a smoother and less aggressive ride.
Unless you use it for escape from a bank robbery... I doubt that you will ever have issues.
Are you using this on or off road?

If offroad then only amateur soft ride with family. The usage is on the cycling lines around the city and the purpose of the ebike for me was to use the cycle lanes. Over 250W it need to be registered and cannot use cycle lanes. Registration ,insurenace or permissions are not an issue - i had motorcycles over one litre and have permissions, but the case is to have a legal possibility to use of cycling lanes and have valid insurance (its not necessary in my country for the bicycle, but i always have).

Back