Battery Repair

stan staats

My battery (10.4AH) died on my Wallke GS3.0 folding bike. I saw someone suggest FTH Power for repair, so I gave them a try. After $25 shipping and a $35 estamate fee, I received an estimate of over $600. I was lucky enough to order a 11.6AH battery from Wallke for $400 with free shipping. Someone said FTH could repair a battery for half the price of new. I guess that isn't true in all cases. I might even take a chance on a backup battery from AliExpress for $280.

Just shows it's cheaper to buy a battery made with cheaper labor, and cheap generic chinese cells, and maybe less rigorous construction, as opposed to a rebuilt battery using name brand Japanese/Korean cells with expensive US labor. They still have to take the old cells out and dispose of them, while installing new ones with possible upgrades in worksmanship. FTH does charge a pretty penny though.

My battery (10.4AH) died on my Wallke GS3.0 folding bike. I saw someone suggest FTH Power for repair, so I gave them a try. After $25 shipping and a $35 estamate fee, I received an estimate of over $600. I was lucky enough to order a 11.6AH battery from Wallke for $400 with free shipping. Someone said FTH could repair a battery for half the price of new. I guess that isn't true in all cases. I might even take a chance on a backup battery from AliExpress for $280.
Just shows it's cheaper to buy a battery made with cheaper labor, and cheap generic chinese cells, and maybe less rigorous construction, as opposed to a rebuilt battery using name brand Japanese/Korean cells with expensive US labor. They still have to take the old cells out and dispose of them, while installing new ones with possible upgrades in worksmanship. FTH does charge a pretty penny though.
So true. Wallke says their battery is made with Samsung cells, I can hope for that.

Who makes this battery case?

Looks like 52V 17.5Ah is possible.
I don't know if it's the same case as your Wallke though.
I don't know who makes the case. It looks like the same one though. I'm new to the battery business, if I have a 48v system can I even use a 52v battery? Can I use a 48v battery with a higher Ah rating? My bike has a 750-watt motor.

Also, I'll be trying to program a add on battery voltage meter when I get my new battery. It has settings for different kinds of lithium batteries. I assume that most of these ebike batteries are Lithium Ternary batteries. Would you know?

The 50 cells in my Ecotric battery were INR18650S, made by Ruizhi in China, which I googled on Aliexpress for $1.05 each if I bought 5000. If I wanted Samsung 18650GA, retail was $7.99 at US sellers. Probably get a 20% discount if I were FTH.

The specs on those Ruishi cells were good though. It's lower quality expectations. The Ecotric battery died after 2 years, due to a couple of weak cells.

Also, your motor power is not determined by the motor.
It's determined by the controller and battery.

Do you know your controller spec?
Watched the videos, that helps a lot. Can't find the controller specs on my old GS3.0 just yet, but the closest model that they sell now has a 18 amp controller. I'm not really a speedster now days, I used to drag race, (68 GTX) and fly bush planes in Alaska but now I just use the bike to walk the dogs and do some nature trails. The extra power for sand and hills, and extra range would be good though. I also I use the bike on the farm some, tall grass uses up some power.

Back